Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden Cincinnati Zoo News 2008-2009

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 14 May 2008.

Tags:
  1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

2. okapikpr

Here's some additional information regarding the zoo's small cat collection (taken from the US federal register):

This will be a great addition to the Black-footed cat US population that has only 10 founders and about 30 individuals.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

We need someone here at ZooBeat to post a review of the Cincinnati Zoo, as it is regarded as one of the better zoos in North America. I can't wait to visit this summer, as obviously the sumatran rhinos are a massive draw for hardcore zoo fans. But the cheetahs, bonobos, manatees, polar bears, gorillas, orangutans, brand-new giraffe exhibit, elephants, okapi, white lions, mexican wolves and indian rhinos illustrate the fact that the animal collection is amazing and comparable to just about any zoo on the continent.

Any takers on typing up a quick review?

4. okapikpr

I'll take the lead, since it was my "home zoo" for many years. The Cincinnati Zoo is a great melting pot of European and American Style Zoos. As one of the oldest zoos in North America it has a great history with german influences (especially hagenbeck). I highly reccommend it history book: "The Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden: From Past to Present" by David Ehrlinger.

It is also the forerunner in ex-situ conservation in North America. They specialize in many of the unique species that are hard to come by in America zoos and has always been that way. Some of its most notable species include: Okapi, Sumatran/Indian/Black Rhinoceros, Lowland Gorilla, Bonobo, Orangutan, Manatee, Small Felid species, Komodo Dragon, Penguins, Giant Salamander, Giant Eland, Cheetah, and Asian Elephant.

Like many old zoos there is no particular layout to the zoo (as the zoo's entrance has changed locations many times) and definitely requires a map to transverse the campus. Its major exhibits include:

Jungle Trails - 2.5 lush forested primate complex was designed inhouse. The walkways for the exhibited are covered in tree mulch, very different from most zoo exhibits and adds more to the forest immersion. It also houses a very good nocturnal prosimian collection. This is one of the best primate exhibitions in the US.
    Vanishing Giants - A 2000 renovation of the elephant house that includes Asian Elephants, Masai Giraffe, and their very valuable Okapi (their bloodline represents their original 1987 import from the Congo, a female Asengu)
    Wolf Woods - Houses Mexican Wolves, River Otters, Thick-billed Parrots, Skunks, Turkeys, and Grey Fox on this hillside exhibit
    Manatee Springs - A good representation of Florida wildlife. Cincinnati is one of 4 facilities in the US to house manatees outside of Florida.
    Gorilla World - Home to one of the most successful gorilla troops in the US, it was built in the 1970s and still considered a good gorilla exhibit...this area is slated for expansion in the zoo's masterplan.
    World of the Insect - one of the best insect displays in the US, shows a great display of insect natural history and adaptation. Also houses many rare and endangered species of insect.
    Wildlife Canyon - home to sumatran rhino, red river hog, mhorr's gazelle, sichuan takin and many duiker
    Wings of the World - a very nice bird house, displays a great diversity of birds including their large arctic/antarctic bird collection
    Cat House - the most complete small cat collection in the US. It is one of the focuses for the zoo's conservation department (see earlier posts)
    Passenger Pigeon Memorial - Cincinnati zoo is home to the extinction of the Passenger Pigeon and Carolina Parakeet. This small musuem highlights that plight that faces endangered animals. It is good luck for zookeepers to touch the pigeon statue outside the memorial.

My last visit to this zoo was in January 2007 when I got to personally meet the zoo's okapi, elephants, and rhinos. I am also a member of the zoo's zoological society and get bi-monthly update via their newsletter. I'll try and update this thread on the zoo's activities and soon I post more information of the zoo's new and exciting masterplan.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

And of course, the oldest existing zoo building in North America is the original Monkey House at the Cincinnati Zoo (it later became the Reptile House).

I can attest to the value of Dave Ehrlinger's history. I assisted him with that. Dave was the first Director of Horticulture at Cincinnati and I rather think he was instrumental in taking zoo horticulture to a previously unknown level. He certainly taught me a lot!!!

The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden is small at 67 acres, and is the most intensely arranged zoo I know. A large animal collection, thanks to long-time director Ed Maruska, although in relatively small enclosures. In between it is all garden.

In the early days, as Cincinnati was one of the first US zoos, it was a leader. The original director, Sol Stephan, was the western-most agent (for lack of a better term) for Carl Hagenbeck. Many of the North American animals Hagenbeck had for sale came through Cincinnati.

JungleTrails was awarded the best exhibit award by the AZA back in 1990 (or thereabouts). The AZA has also recognized the zoo's breeding skills with countlesss Bean Awards.

Last edited: 16 May 2008
  6. okapikpr

Also, I have posted some pictures of the zoo from the last visit in the photo gallery. Once I get around to scanning my older pictures, I'll post them too.

7. snowleopard

@okapikpr: thanks for the extensive review, and wasn't the well-regarded Cincinnati Zoo once known as "the sexiest zoo in America" due to its success in breeding rare animals?

8. okapikpr

That's right snowleopard, I believe it was Newsweek that bestowed that claim to Cincinnati.

9. snowleopard

10. Ungulate

Ungulate Well-Known Member

I found it very surprising that Cincinnati has turned around from doing a massive overhaul of the elephant house (less than 5? years ago) with the opening of "Vanishing Giants", and are already doing another overhaul. That's got to hurt the budget!

11. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that it was all part of a long-range plan to expand that part of the zoo into what had been parking lots. As they - after YEARS of maneuvering - obtained new land for parking, they then began the chess game of expanding and replacing exhibits. I remember all this being planned and begun as long ago as 1992! (That's three Directors ago)

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

13. okapikpr

Well all of this also has to do with the return of their bull Asian elephant from Missouri...and the prospect of calves. Too bad their Okapi collection has to suffer though, they are now left with just one lone female. Their breeding male died earlier this year.

14. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

I've seen Cincinnati Zoo in 2002, fortunately, the last zebraduiker in a zoo was still alive, so I could see him.Its sad, that no zoo has this nice duiker in his collection anymore.

Do they try to bred with Emi and Ipuh again ? And whatwill be happen with the last year offspring ? Will they send her to L.A maybe ?

15. okapikpr

Emi delivered a third (male) calf, Harry, last year. Im sure the zoo plans to breed Emi and Ipuh again. As for the young female, Suci, they plan to keep her as of right now. The zoo has plans to create a large atrium that covers the Wildlife Canyon area to serve as the zoo's Sumatran Rhinoceros complex.

16. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

But they can't breed with Suci, maybe its better to send her back to Malaysia as like as Andalas ?

17. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I volunteer at the LA zoo and everyone was sad and happy when Andalas left. Now everyone is hoping that we could get Suci, but I don't think that would happen since Andalas old exhibit is now being used by Sichuan Takin.

Anyways...does the Cincinnati Zoo still have the white lions? If they do, are they allowed to breed them?

18. okapikpr

I believe that Cincinnati has hopes to import a new male, part of the reason why Andalas was sent over to Indonesia. But a little inbreeding hasnt hurt a species in need of numbers.

19. Ungulate

Ungulate Well-Known Member

LOL - all too true, I'm afraid. The founder populations of MANY species are frightfully small; 1.2 animals in many cases (e.g. Cuvier's gazelles, now an SSP species!)

20. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was just there the other day, and yes, the okapis are getting the shaft. They've been relegated to the back end of the old African Veldt in an enclosure with some yellow-backed duikers. It's always bugged me that they've never managed to put together an impressive exhibit for them, as they've been there since 87.