Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden Cincinnati Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 28 Dec 2016.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot about this. Yes, they were on exhibit. During my visit I thought maybe they would be be gone - but that was due to the absence of the lorises and the genet.

2. joshgrossglaza

joshgrossglaza Well-Known Member

Anyone know what happened to the exhibit that housed Capone the alligator snapping turtle?

3. Moebelle

If you're referring to the one in Manatee Springs, a smaller alligator snapping and a Florida Snapping Turtle were moved there. However, I believe they were recently taken off exhibit, and now the tank just hold Piranhas.

4. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What's next for Fiona?:

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Kudu21

A Sichuan takin calf was born on Saturday; the sex of the calf is not yet known. This is Sally's second calf, and while she rejected her first calf, Dale, back in 2015, she has been very attentive to the this calf. If all goes well, the pair will be on exhibit in the coming weeks.

Grant, GraysonDP and drill like this.
  7. Kudu21

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Kudu21

The takin calf, a female named "Meg", is now on exhibit with her mother in Wildlife Canyon:

Fiona has begun to spend time in and to explore some of the stalls in the hippo barn:

In other news, judging from the zoo's Flickr page, it appears that the Japanese giant salamanders and Raggiana birds-of-paradise are now on public display. I hope to make a visit to the zoo this weekend, and hopefully I will be able to confirm this!

Grant likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you know how many Raggiana BOP Cincinnati has now?

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They should have 5 or 6 birds.

12. Moebelle

13. Kudu21

I was finally able to make it back down to the zoo this weekend (which will, unfortunately, likely be my last visit until I return from South Africa in August), and I have updates:

Japanese giant salamanders:
    There is definitely signage up for them, and there are new barriers around the walkway past and over the stream, but it still appears to be blocked off to visitors... Hopefully this will change soon!

Wings of The World:
    -The new pair of Asian fairy bluebirds is set up for breeding in the left isolation cage outside of the Australasia aviary. The chestnut-breasted malkoha is still in the right isolation cage.
    -Indeed, a single Raggiana bird-of-paradise has been added to the main Australasia aviary.
    -The pair of crested couas from Jungle Trails have been added to the Grasslands aviary.
    -The Wetlands aviary is now down to just two hooded mergansers. I imagine that once these birds are found homes, construction will begin on the new Bornean rhinoceros hornbill aviary.
    -The harlequin ducks are no longer on exhibit.

Jungle Trails:
    -The feathertail glider and potto exhibits are now both empty with signs saying that changes are coming.
    -A number of vines and vertical limbs have been added to the Dumeril's ground boa exhibit, which makes me wonder if pottos might be moving back into said exhibit?

Rhino Reserve:
    -The former zebra and Indian rhinoceros yards are both still blocked off.

Manatee Springs:
    -The second terrarium upon entering the building is still empty of animals with a sign saying changes are coming.
    -The azureus cichlids have been dispersed to not only the former alligator snapping turtle aquarium with the red-bellied piranha, but also the manatee tank as well. A small number remain in the Invasive Species aquarium with the green basilisks

Night Hunters:
    -Digger the aardvark is back on exhibit in Night Hunters, and I observed him mating with Ali several times during my visit.
    -Natural substrate has been added to several of the exhibits.

Eagle Eyrie:
    -The Steller's sea eagle pair are nesting again.

Africa:
    -It appears that the zoo might be down to one Thomson's gazelle. I have only seen the one on my past several visits.

bgeezle513 and Grant like this.
  14. Moebelle

From the Hogle Zoo's Facebook page

Dear Zoo friends - It's been a difficult few days up here and we have very sad news to share. Our polar bear, Rizzo, is in renal failure, meaning her kidneys have stopped filtering waste from her blood.
    During a medical exam, Zoo veterinarians noted compromised kidneys after keepers reported Rizzo was having trouble keeping food down and was quite lethargic.
    We are now beginning end-of-life care for a bear Zoo staff and the community love very much. The animal's well-being and quality of life are always our first priority. Our animal care team will monitor Rizzo closely to ensure the highest quality of life during her final days.
    She is resting comfortably in her back holding area and cannot be visited by the public.
    Rizzo made a big splash at Hogle Zoo in 2012 with the opening of Rocky Shores and she's been a favorite - garnering oohs and aahs as she'd swim and dive.
    Her passing will leave a polar-sized hole in our hearts.
    Thank you, as always, for your tremendous community support during this terribly difficult time.

15. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was just curious are you the owner of the YouTube account that does walkthroughs of the Cincinnati zoo

16. Moebelle

Yes, that is me. This site is where I always publish them.

17. natel12

That is really cool because I've always enjoyed watching your video when is the next one coming out

18. Moebelle

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy them. I only plan on ever filming during warmer weather but even with appropriate weather for all animals to be out, that isn't always the case. My new obstacle that gets in the way is my photography. If I see a perfect opportunity for a nice shot, I obviously don't want to be filming - so I'd be switching modes back and forth. I strictly used Mac for two years straight and iMovie is a major pain to use and way more complicated than it needs to be. Now that I have a new PC, there will be more videos this summer.

19. natel12

Good to hear

20. Moebelle

Turns out they are doing construction on the Colobus exhibits in Gorilla World. I don't know the details but all of the fencing has been taken down