Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden Cincinnati Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 28 Dec 2016.

1. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Does anyone know when Gorilla World expansion opens

2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the new signage said the outdoor exhibit and the Colobus exhibit will be opened next month but the new atrium will be complete in November.

3. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know what the zoo plans on doing with the three female lion "cubs" born in 2014? Will they stay at the zoo, or does the zoo plan on breeding John and Imani again??

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The okapi calf has made its public debut.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has a new behind the scenes experience:

Remarkable Rainforest
    Set your sights to Central and South America and meet some of our Neotropical Neighbors!

During this behind-the-scenes experience, explore the intricate layers that comprise the rainforest. Start from the forest floor and make your way up through the canopy as you get an exclusive up-close encounter with the animals that make the rainforest their home.

The keepers will choose three of the following remarkable rainforest residents to help guide you on your journey:

• Blue & Gold macaw
    • Six-banded armadillo
    • Two-toed sloth
    • Southern tamandua
    • Prehensile-tail porcupine
    $500 for 2 people, $750 for 3 people, $100 for bigger parties.

I would love to do this experience, but no certain animal is guaranteed. Do any zoo regulars know if the southern tamandua is still walking around zoo grounds on certain days?

7. Kudu21

I would very much imagine that if you mentioned a particular interest in the tamanduas, the Education staff would be willing to try and make sure that one of them is a part of your experience. Also, yes, the tamanduas are still being walked around the zoo, but I do not know if they have a set schedule as to which days they are taken out.

In other news:
    Apparently the path around Rhino Reserve has reopened, and "Faru" the eastern black rhinoceros bull has, indeed, taken up residence in the former Indian rhinoceros (most recently Grèvy's zebra) yard. No word on whether or not the renovations to the zebra yard itself are complete.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Are there no longer Indian rhinos at the zoo?

9. Grant

There is Manjula, but she is in another yard in Rhino Reserve

10. Kudu21

As @Grant has stated, the Indian rhinoceros cow Manjula is still on site, but she now lives in the original Indian rhinoceros yard on the opposite side of Rhino Reserve. Faru has taken over the smaller yard next to the zebra yard that was built for Manjula's arrival when Nikki was still alive.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This does mean both the male and female blacks are in sight, smell and sound of each other, right?!!

12. Grant

@Kudu21 is it known if the zoo is still trying AI with Manjula?

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think nothing has changed on that front. Cincinnati wil continue with rhino AI reproductive work, be this in GOHR mainly.

14. Kudu21

They will definitely be able to hear and smell each other, but they will not be able to see each other any longer, no. There is a tall mock-rock barrier between the two yards, and the stall for what is now Faru's yard is in the basement of the main Rhino Reserve barn and not the black rhino barn.They were kept together up until a couple of months ago or so, until Seyia got to a point in her pregnancy when she no longer tolerated his presence. The former Indian rhinoceros yard has been re-renovated for rhinoceroses after housing the zebras for a short time to allow them both access to the outdoors at the same time; up until this was completed, they were rotating on and off-exhibit in the main black rhino yard.

@Grant, @Kifaru Bwana is correct. They are very much still working on AI research with Indian rhinos, and Manjula is absolutely a part of said work.

15. Moebelle

In the nursery, the southern tamandua has replaced Lucy the Bearcat. Lucy was moved next door in the always empty room.

16. Moebelle

In other news, the pygmy falcons are nesting. The island exhibit of Wings of the world will hold a scarlet macaw instead of last year's Mitchell's Cockatoo. The renovations at Rhino Reserve entailed more guest fencing and weeding the Zebra yard. At Gorilla World, can't tell quite what's going on but new mesh has been added for the first Colobus exhibit so it appears that will not change entirely in the renovations. However, the second exhibit has been completely demolished and is being worked on so... we'll see. But it seems promised "Colobus island" will not happen. Lastly, cheap plywood fencing has been placed in front of the left Wild horse/Camel viewing.

17. Kudu21

This is an interesting development! I wonder if this could potentially mean that the female is pregnant?

I'm surprise to hear that much, as last I heard, the only changes that the colobus exhibits would be seeing would be new mesh! I'm glad that they appear to at least be receiving more of a touch-up than that.

18. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is this section of the nursery visible to guests? I would imagine so if you noticed the change, but just checking to be sure.

19. Moebelle

Yes, almost every inch of the nursery is visible. The Tamandua is in the third exhibit.

20. Moebelle

Oddly, instead of Cat Canyon, for the time being the new tiger cubs can now be seen in Night Hunters. I don't know what exhibit but I won't be able to check until Monday.

StoppableSan likes this.