Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden Cincinnati Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kudu21, 2 Jan 2019.

1. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wholeheartedly agree. I was concerned that Mai-Thai and Schottzie might not live to see Elephant Trek's completion, so I am very glad they will still get to enjoy more space and a more engaging environment in their golden years even if they do not.

As far as the rhino/zebra mix goes, the caption on the rendering reads: "Plans for this area also include a larger, mixed species yard, expanded moats and visitor viewing decks." They do not explicitly state which species will be mixed, so it could be possible that the species being mixed in have not yet been revealed.Even in the renderings, the rhinos and zebras are not shown sharing the same space.

Jambo and StoppableSan like this.
  2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Personally, I'm down for a duiker/ okapi/ bongo exhibit (if compatible) and the rhino/ zebra exhibit. It seems that the zebra would have little space without a mixed exhibit...

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wedge-Tailed Eagles would be a nice addition, if the AZA is interested in expanding the raptor SSPs.

Kifaru Bwana and ZooBinh like this.
  4. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Grant, Jambo and ZooBinh like this.
  5. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

I totally agree that wedge-tailed eagles would be cool to see!

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. LesulaMonkey

LesulaMonkey Well-Known Member

I would name the penguin chick Irwin.

8. ZooBinh

According to the zoo's Instagram, the Blue Penguin chick ahs been named Pierogi.

(not gonna lie, I love this name)

Jambo likes this.
  9. Kudu21

Jambo and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Kudu21

A new video featuring the latest little blue penguin chicks and a little discussion on their new habitat in Roo Valley. The new exhibit will allow for the colony to grow to a target size of 50 birds. The exhibit will also be netted over, which will allow the penguins to be out longer and overnight.

Kifaru Bwana and ZooBinh like this.
  12. Kudu21

New video about the construction of Roo Valley:

13. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t mean to be negative here. But this roo walkabout has been done so many times now and I just feel it’s getting repetitive. And I seriously thought Cincinnati could do better by making more innovative for their kangaroos and wallabies.

14. ZooBinh

Not to be rude here, but it's been said multiple times that it's not the best they could've done.

Grant likes this.
  15. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What do you suggest then, for an innovative exhibit? What will bring in as many visitors as a new walkthrough exhibit, creating opportunities for visitors to interact with animals?

16. ZooBinh

I know this is not my question, but (I know this wouldn't be such a large attraction) I think they could have started an Endangered Philippines Species complex, featuring Philippine Eagles in what was the Capybara/ Emu exhibit combined into a large aviary, maybe a small tarsier exhibit in a small building that was the entry walkway with other small species. With warty pigs exhibits and crocodile exhibits. Maybe even a walkthrough aviary with an interactive Mindanao Lory feeding encounter(?).

Yi Qi likes this.
  17. Kudu21

But how realistic of an alternative is that? It's just frankly not. I'm as disappointed as the next person to see another kangaroo walkabout, but it is a very smart move for the zoo at this point in time. As @jayjds2 said, there is little that the zoo could add that would draw in more visitors than a walk-through enclosure that brings visitors up close and personal with charismatic animals. Not to mention that the accompanying ropes course and biergarten will be major new sources of revenue. All which is important for the zoo as it is still funding the rest of its master plan...

ZooBinh likes this.
  18. ZooBinh

Thinking about it, I knew that it would not be possible, though at this point, I agree with you that a kangaroo is the smartest idea. I like the idea [my idea], it's very creative, but its not humanly possible. I just think that just maybe they can do more than just kangaroos and penguins, if there were small tidbits that could be utilized well to add diversity.

19. Kudu21

I will agree with you there. I also would have liked to see some added diversity beyond the kangaroos, wallabies, and penguins; however, the canyon really is a limited space, and I would rather see nicely done kangaroo/wallaby and penguin exhibits than a bunch of smaller than ideal enclosures for a wider range of species. That said, I think that a couple of terrariums or a small aviary or two would not compromise the planned enclosures while still painting a broader picture of Australian diversity. I would not necessarily be surprised if we see the cockatoos set up on new perching in the kangaroo/wallaby yard and maybe some other birds show up in the area as well now that the Bird Department has stakes there with new little blue penguin exhibit.They are always looking to get birds out of the bird house when they can.

ZooBinh likes this.
  20. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree that this exhibit could be so much more and even compared to other Australia walkthrough exhibits, this seems to be majorly lacking. No emus, cassowaries, tree kangaroos, koalas, budgies, lories, or other common species seen in similar exhibits built before. The penguin exhibit will make it unique but that still makes it only 2-3 species in total where Wildlife Canyon had twice that in the same space with large hoof stock. It will bring in a lot of families and the ropes course seems real cool. So overall, I understand why they went with the species they did but it’s still slightly disappointing.