Join our zoo community

Circus elphant kills man in germany

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Bib Fortuna, 14 Jun 2015.

1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Yesterday, the female african elephant"Benjamin",also called"baby", from the Circus Luna killed early in the morning a 65 old retired man, ho was on a morning walk. She probably escaped from her tent, but nobody knows yet why she attacked and killed the man, but is wasn't her first attack on humans.

Rumors said, she is now underway to an unknown Animalpark in germany.I feel so Sorry for the man and his widow.

2. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Condolences to his family and friends; what is sad is he (presumably) didn't have anything to do with the circus, I hope his family gets some compensation.

3. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I feel really bad for the guy. I mean, that's just an insane way to die. Out for a walk in Germany, you do not expect an elephant to come over and kill ya.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2015
  4. Bib Fortuna

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bib you said this wasn't her first human attack so do you know why she was still kept in (presumably) full contact?

Also, what was the outcome of the first incident?

My heart goes out to the poor guys family but hell, that's one awesome obituary!

6. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I feel so bad for the Man. I hope the Elephant will be protected contact now.

7. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

How would you have circus elephants in PC though?

8. Bib Fortuna

Zooboy 28 has answered your first question...

I've done a littlebit of reserach for"Benjamins7Baby" other atatcks on humans-therew ere several:

1.In September 2010, she attacked a young father on a company party-teh circus has rent the elelphant to this event.She throwed the man with her tusks through the air-he had his baby in his arms, when this was happen.Fortuantely, both survived, bot the man had to put into artificial coma and he lost a kidney.
    2.In October 2010 the elphant attacked a twelve years old boy,she striked him with her trusk into his face.

In other case, she attacked a woman and hurt her hard.The german"Elphant magazine"wrote in the December 2012 Issue about"Benjamin":It seems to be only a question of time until "Benjamin"provoke an incident with a Dead"-What now has happend...

About the question, how she could escape from her tent,the circus owne rsaid,"Animal rightners"had free her....

9. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for all the extra info Bib, this seems like it was an accident waiting to happen! As for blaming AR activists for the escape, I think I need to see some proof to believe it. Just seems like an excuse to absolve the circus of any blame!

10. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that she wouldn't be a circus Elephant anymore, isn't she a at an animal park now? As far as I'm concerned this ought to be the end of her circus days.