Join our zoo community

CITES bans zoo trade in African elephants

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 28 Aug 2019.

1. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Means the current population needs to be bred with long-term management forefront... especially with such a slow reproducing species...

Also don't like this...
    "Humane Society International said it was "celebrating a momentous win".

"Despite compromise language being introduced by the EU, we are relieved by its passing," said Audrey Delsink, the group's Africa wildlife director.

She said the highly sociable animals found separations "incredibly traumatising"'

Lot of very distinct anti-zoo in the second article...

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  3. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

I think this turned out very well. The EU loophole means that elephants from culls, etc may be relocated to captive facilities if it's done in the interest of conserving/propogating the species. What it forbids is export for profit--100 calves to China and the like. It also means that African elephants may still be exchanged between zoos, a possible restriction I hadn't known was even on the table. I don't think this will affect the kind of imports we've had from Swaziland, etc. Or, to look at it another way, no elephants may leave their range countries except those in circumstances like the US elephants. That's a good thing.

HOWEVER, right there hiding in plain sight in the second article is truly bad news:. Botswana has lifted its ban on trophy hunting of elephants. While the world was distracted with the import/export of living elephants for their welfare under CITES, a vital range country has just said it's fine for visitors to come, pay, and export dead elephants they have just killed. This must be what it means to "throw the baby out with the bathwater......"

4. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This ban is being widely hailed as a major victory by many groups that generally oppose zoos. Seen several places where they are quoted as being 'disappointed that it did not completely ban the trade in elephants' (paraphrased).

I agree with many of the reasons behind the ban. I also agree the changes they made were good. However I hope that it does not start a domino with other species and/or become a total ban, slowly leading to our beloved zoos themselves becoming extinct.

Mbwamwitu likes this.