Join our zoo community

Cleland Wildlife Park Cleland Wildlife Park - Great Free Ranger

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZYBen, 25 Apr 2006.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I went to Cleland today so heres my view!

Cleland Wildlife Park (Cleland) is an Australian Wildlife park situiated 20mins out of the CBD.

Cleland sustain a healthy population of Southern Barred Bandicoots, All Kanagroo S.Species, Bettongs, Pottoroos and many many others.

THe Bettongs ,Potoroos and Bandicoots are of particular interest, there are housed all over the park.
    THere is one central area where it says where they are on the map Its a huge walk through paddock, Planted with gums and other natives that tower way way into the sky. Cleland is made in a series of Gates and Fences, theres the main fence then all eth other areas are fence, in teh fenced areas there are more exhibits liek saty for Tassie Devils or Wombats, but the mojority are Kangorr Paddocks, with Cape Barren Geese.

THere are smaller fenced off areas taht form paths aswell mainly from avairy to paddock or around a pond, these areas are home to these 3 species aswell,i reckon i counted 55 of Each animal in teh park in these little areas.

Its liek every animal there is free range but ther arent. I would love to see trhis concept adopted by many many other Zoo's/Wildlife Parks Imagine going to dsit down and eat and havinbg a Bettong come out to say hi, this concept of fencing of areas isnt intrusive they are hidden by bushes.

They have a Great Indoor House for smaller small species, they are mostly in mixed exhibits, Like theres a costal one with Hermit Crabs, Greater Stick Nest Rats and Peninsula Dragons, or the Mulgara Bilby Exhibit, maybe the oddest the Jungle Python and Stick Insect.

I will scan in the park map when i find it.

2. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And I'm sorry again for digging this one up but I didn't know there were any greater stick nest rats in captivity. Do any other parks hold them?

3. Jusinbuzz

Jusinbuzz Member

At the Alice Springs Desert Park there are several, two on display in the Nocternal House. It's a shame they are so few in numbers out in the wild, such marvelous creatures.

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I really enjoyed the Cleland Wildlife Park when I was there in June of 2007. The variety of Aussie animals there is impressive, and the massive walk-through paddocks allow for loads of room for the animals to escape human contact if they so wish.

5. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A number of collections either keep them or have kept them in the recent past (Perth, Dubbo, Alice Springs, Adelaide, Monarto). There was a breeding program, but not sure whether it is still operational. Unfortunately they do not display very well and so even when zoos held them, they were often kept off-display. Another problem is a probable genetic disorder regularly seen in the captive population which causes cataracts. I have worked with them in the past, and while they are a very cute species, they aren't exactly the most exciting to watch.

6. Trevor

Trevor Member

Cleland Wildlife Park is one of my favourites because of the walk through aviaries. My main interest is in birds and they have a great collection. One can get really great photos in the aviaries.