Join our zoo community

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Cleveland Metroparks Zoo 2017 News

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 1 Jan 2017.

1. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Both exhibits open in 2018. Cheetah in early 2018. Asian Highlands in mid-2018.

2. mwalle09

mwalle09 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I understand that, but have we seen any renderings of how they will fit with the other exhibits or what these exhibits will look like? Have they broken ground?

3. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven't seen any renderings. I was at tha Metroparks Zoo on Sunday May 7th, 2017. Both locations of where new exhibits will be no new ground has been broken when I was there.

4. TigerValley98

5. TigerValley98

6. grandelover1

grandelover1 Well-Known Member

Is there still Sichuan Takins in quarantine?

7. TigerValley98

8. TigerValley98

9. TigerValley98

10. MaxRebo

MaxRebo Active Member

The shark tank in the PC&A Building is now empty and the porthole windows are blacked out. Does anyone know what happened to the Sharks?

11. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This happened back in August of last year, I do not know what happened to them exactly. Probably decided it wasn't the most adequate exhibit and took them off.

12. grandelover1

I was there is september 2016 and there was at least one shark.

13. mwalle09

I noticed the shark exhibit blacked out too. It was always a small and I think lackluster exhibit but I understand the zoo took in those animals from the closing of the original aquarium. In a weird way it worked with the rest of the building, being a mix of several different types of animals. Still, sad to see it go, there was something eerie and beautiful watching those big fish slowly swim around in that tank and it made for a nice resting point after a day of walking, especially if you walked up the hill to the PAC.

The cheetah exhibit will complete the African Savannah portion of the zoo very nicely and it continues a trend of enhancing and connecting pieces of land that have been overlooked. By the end of the next 7 years I think the CMZ will make extremely efficient and effective use of its main space from Australian Outback to Northern Trek. Perhaps just one more "unused" parcel of land between Tiger Passage and the Zoological Medicine center that has some dead space in it.

14. TigerValley98

The Aldabra tortoises can go here. It is stupid to take them on the hill each year when the spend the winter in the hospital. It is not like a new Aldabra tortoise exhibit would take a lot to build.

15. mwalle09

That would be a great idea and makes sense. I don't know how you would make it a better exhibit than they already have other then the location change but I'm sure that's something they would look at. The only other concern they might have about the land there is that is pretty close to the Big Creek and what's the contingency if it floods.

16. TigerValley98

They will have to have moved them somewhere by the time they get around to the gorilla exhibit. I wonder what will temporarily take up residence in the current cheetah exhibit. I also wonder how PCA will be reorganized after the snow leopards and red pandas move. I am also curious what the new name for PCA will be. Cat should be removed. Even if they still have black-footed cats.

17. mwalle09

I'm sure there have been lengthy discussions about what to do with the PCA. As we've said before on here, its dated and not very dynamic. I think they do the best they can with it but eventually it won't fit in with the rest of the exhibits they already have. Do we know if the new Gorilla plan includes other animals to be a part of it?

18. TigerValley98

The last I had heard is that the gorilla area would be an addition to PCA. The mandrills will inherit the old exhibit. I have seen 2020 or 2021 at the earliest. The cost has been an issue I know. There would be additional outdoor habitats that would be for PCA residents in the warmer weather. This plan is several years old. It will change. I still have not seen the newer plans for the cheetah exhibit.

19. mwalle09

I hope that is what they still would like to do. The building would be expensive to rip down and then build something completely new. I'm sure they are constantly looking at the most effective ways to spend money on a state of the art exhibit that is best for the animals involved and promotes their new mission. I think it is smart to do the smaller stuff while they build momentum for a large scale fundraising effort.

TigerValley98 likes this.
  20. grandelover1

They could always turn the PCA into an aquarium and indoor play area or even a quarantine area.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.