Join our zoo community

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Cleveland Metroparks Zoo 2017 News

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 1 Jan 2017.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

Agreed. I found it strange they were not included in the plans considering they're two of the most endangered asian species and their exhibit, while not terrible, but could use some serious updating. Just seems like they forgot a part thats right next-door to me now. On the other hand, does anyone know what the plans for the rest of that side of the zoo will be? (if any have been thought of yet) The remaining bear grottos definitely still need to go and the reindeer just seem to kinda be there for now. Maybe part two of the new theming will allow that chunk of the land to be redone into an asian bear themed phase after the highlands and the already planed Africa update are completed. Or maybe use the space for new black and grizzly exhibits to help with the flow of theming?

3. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They will have to take out a corner of the tufted deer exhibit to relocate the path. All they would need to do is re theme that exhibit like they are doing with the takin exhibit.

4. TigerValley98

5. TigerValley98

The zoo has told me tufted deer and the Japanese Red-crowned cranes will remain as a part of this experience, but they are temporarily relocated during the construction phase. The Asian Highlands groundbreaking was focused on introducing new elements to the area.

6. MaxRebo

MaxRebo Active Member

The cranes are still on exhibit, it is just more difficult to see them with their exhibit halved by construction. The smew ducks and barred geese are in the reindeer exhibit now.
    The outdoor gorilla exhibit is closed off to visitors as a new gorilla is being introduced. The shark exhibit is still blacked out.
    The black swans are nesting and have become aggressive guarding the nest. The cockatoos have a new "house" near the farmhouse.

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. TigerValley98

According to the gorilla breeding plan, Mokolo is slated to be joined by three females. Fredrika and Kebi Mayo are at the zoo. I am unsure if Tusa has arrived yet.

8. grandelover1

grandelover1 Well-Known Member

This is a question I’ve been wanting to ask for awhile. What developments/species would you like to see brought into the zoo?

I would like to have hippos back, but I don’t know anywhere that would have room. I would like most people like to see the PCA building demolished and the animals get new homes.

9. TigerValley98

We know what the next five years will likely bring: Asian Highlands, the new cheetah exhibit, and the new gorilla exhibit next to PCA. PCA is not going anywhere anytime soon. It would cost too much to replace it.

10. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

...along those lines of ASIAN HIGHLANDS, one MUST SEE Disney's "BORN IN CHINA"
    The wilderness scenes of wild Snow Leopard AWESOME! The Golden Monkey segments: AWESOME!!! Spectactular!!!
    Must see, remember the time Metroparks Zoo housed Golden Monkeys from China I was there often for 3 months! Of couse, then there is the Giant Panda segments which too are wonderful. LOVE animals? This DVD is right in your alley, don't miss it!

11. MaxRebo

MaxRebo Active Member

12. TigerValley98

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. TigerValley98

14. TigerValley98

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

One of the male tigers got himself stuck on the top ledge of one of the exhibits today. All three cats were out in separate yards and the males were attempting to see one another. One of them decided he should jump the dividing wall to get over it, just to realizing there was netting blocking it off. Once he got up there on this tiny space the big guy struggled to turn around on the top of the rock work without getting his paws stuck in the netting for about 20 minutes. For the most part he was just afraid to jump down but it was super stressful to watch him pant and his back legs shake, all the while you could tell from his face he was freaking out. It was very "Oh no what have I done. Im stuck up here now. How do i get back down" His back legs eventually slipped from out beneath him and he decided to jump for it. In the end he was fine and directly threw himself into his pool to cool off.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2017
  17. mwalle09

mwalle09 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting location but a good one. That is one of the areas where there is a large path and the turnaround for the tram but there are no exhibits. It would fill in a space nicely and keep more foot traffic down in the main area of the zoo.

18. TigerValley98

19. TigerValley98

20. TigerValley98