Join our zoo community

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Cleveland Metroparks Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 1 Jan 2018.

1. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I noticed that Kea have been added to the zoo's website, and they are listed as being in the Australian area. Has anyone seen them on-exhibit?

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What exhibit would they possibly be in?

4. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

When you read the info on the page it's for minature horses, so maybe take that location with a grain of salt. But on the other hand there really is alot of space wasted on that side of Australia with the random kids maze and the barely used small picnic pavilions. I'm thinking maybe we might see them end up using that area if Australia is where the birds are going.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2018
    StoppableSan likes this.
  5. mwalle09

mwalle09 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting that I never really give Australia must of a thought. The backside of it has the farm and camel and I agree there are potential exhibit areas there with the random playground and picnic area no one seems to use. There are possibilities but I think they have bigger fish to fry before they tackle that one.

6. TigerValley98

If a replacement aquarium would ever go where the amphitheater is located, that would help. There does need to be at least one anchor exhibit in the back of the area. I do not know why the homestead is not made intro a new gift shop since the original one is now a first aid station. They closed multiple gift shops. Several of the ones they left open I question. Do you need a gift shop at PCA? They need a permanent one again in Wilderness Trek since there is a zoo entrance over there. Why do most of the zoo’s concessions sell the exact same basic food? Not might variety. Just a member rant. I know it is slightly off topic.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. mwalle09

The homestead or the tree could use something like that. The animatronics are old and always seem to be broken. The tree used to have little exhibits they are often not on display either. I don't see the point of the little playground by the Matilda's grill if they have a much more kid-friendly space with the tree. At some point they will need to re-think the area but it is still a fun one.

Losing the amphitheater would be bold and I think they would need something big to put there. With the administrative building and African Elephant Crossing, it would be tough to make the pathway open and inviting. I agree with doing more to the Northern Trek, they need more in the way of a gift shop somewhere. Varied concessions would be nice as well. I am hoping that the Asian Highlands concession is a sign of things to come in that department.

8. TigerValley98

I always thought a new amphitheater could replace PCA. Nice and out of the way.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. mwalle09

That's an interesting thought. It could be considered out of the way now unless the CMZ spruced up that area with another exhibit or added to Australia in that area that we mentioned previously.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. Tiramtortlephant

Tiramtortlephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the Steve Taylor Master Plan via 2013, they envisioned the amphitheater as the new gorilla habitat. But since they're not following that in any discernible way . . .
    I'd be amazed if they do anything, even minor alterations, at PC&A. Too much cost and too much headache for a major project. I'd bet it will be absorbed by Metroparks Administration. And I'd sooner expect expansion into the Brookside Reservation (another idea floated in the past . . . )

StoppableSan likes this.