Join our zoo community

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Cleveland Metroparks Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 1 Jan 2018.

1. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wish there would have been at least one rock ledge on each exhibit like Akron has on the side of the building. There is not a lot of steep vertical height.

StoppableSan and blospz like this.
  2. mwalle09

mwalle09 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

More natural elements would be nice.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I assume the cons are more minor issues. Just wait for the exhibits to mature.

4. Tiramtortlephant

Tiramtortlephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

African Elephant Crossing was designed for a breeding herd. You can see a lot of those elements in the exhibit, i.e. the pool can be sectioned of to just the shallow portions in the event of a calf running around. But I think the SSP for African elephants decided to focus on adding older females to the current herd rather than try to add new females of breeding age. I know Brain Zimmerman - the CEO of Cleveland Metroparks - is adamant about an elephant breeding program, but it's not his call.
    CMZ has (and remains to have) one of the oldest populations of zoo animals. It's a real testament to the dedication and expertise of the staff that so many animals have lived so long - Blackie was one of the oldest hippos in captivity when he passed a few years ago, Mokolo living as long as he has with diabetes, etc. But that's not as fun or attention-grabbing as babies so you never hear about it.

Kifaru Bwana, Jaxton and StoppableSan like this.
  5. TigerValley98

6. TigerValley98

7. mwalle09

mwalle09 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As I think about the money being spent on looking at updating the Rainforest, I wonder long-term what the goal is for that area. At one point they talked about reconfiguring the whole entrance area, with the new welcome plaza, I'm not sure how that would work now. Inside, the walk and ambiance is very well done with the water fall and the flora makes you really feel immersed. The exhibits need some rethinking though, just a lot of small animals on the lower level, which is fine, but I wonder if they can be presented in a better way. The bat exhibit is cool though. Upstairs, the best part is walking through the the middle with the birds and anteater. The Orangutan exhibit is in the center and does not look great. Otters are a nice touch on the other side along with the upper level of the monkey exhibit. Not sure what can be done to drastically change anything without a major gutting of the way the floor plan works. I guess part of me wishes that all of the lower level was more like the initial walk through the trees and vines and keep the upper level the same with a renovated orangutan pen.

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Having seen this exhibit today, I would have to concur with what you write. I would suggest that, as a enclosure for a medium-sized cat, this is almost totally inadequate. Clearly, those who work at the zoo are trying their very hardest – there was lots of interesting looking enrichment within the exhibit – but, overall, not a good area! Mind you, the same could be said of the enclosures for fishing cat, ocelot, langurs, orangutan...

StoppableSan and EsserWarrior like this.
  9. TigerValley98

Don’t get me talking about the orangutan exhibit. So many issues to list. The RainForest as a whole has so much wasted space. Mind you, so does the zoo as a whole. The orangutans are friends and they are the only reason I go in the RainForest every visit. Otherwise, I would not.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. TigerValley98

11. TigerValley98

12. MaxRebo

MaxRebo Active Member

A baby onager was born and is now on display in Wilderness Trek.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

First breeding success upon transfer of a young stallion from The Wilds on B/L.

14. TigerValley98

There were only two onagers out when I went to the Asian Highlands. It was the females. He may have went back to the Wilds. Both females looked pregnant. I do not know if the other is pregnant.

15. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe he did return to the Wilds. Also, both females looked very pregnant to me when I went last month so I wouldn't be surprise if the other female gives birth any day now.

TigerValley98 likes this.
  16. TigerValley98

17. MaxRebo

MaxRebo Active Member

Baby Onager was still on display as of July 22. A sticker has been added saying baby born on July 8th to the Onager sign.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  18. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Before I make any assumptions in my next episode, with the opening of Asian Highlands, are red pandas no longer part of the PCA?

19. TigerValley98

There exhibit was empty the day Asian Highlands opened. The zoo was evaluating what to do with the red panda and snow leopard exhibit.

20. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

A keeper to whom I spoke suggested that the erstwhile Snow Leopard and Red Panda exhibits may be turned over to the Fossa - but I think this was a possibility rather than a certainty....