Join our zoo community

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Cleveland Metroparks Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 1 Jan 2018.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Looks like I got my answer plus something additional I could add to the video. Thank you both.

Is it safe to assume that the PCA is slowly on its way out?

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I’ve certainly got no inside knowledge here, but haven’t they recently “improved” the (still dreadful) outdoor accommodation for gorillas?

I would think the building could be developed into something tremendous - but it would need an awful lot of thought, imagination and, of course, money.

If it were simply to be closed, not only would there be an awful lot of animals suddenly homeless, but the zoo would lose one of its major areas - something for which I am sure there is little appetite, even if the PCA building is clearly less-than-adequate.

snowleopard likes this.
  3. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The cheetahs certainly are on the way out. The next exhibit should be announced in August if Asian Highlands is anything to go by. There is going to be an African Savanna path merger as well. There are too many paths. An exhibit may disappear too, but I am waiting for confirmation on that. The Amur leopard exhibit was already on the way out, so that is not the one I mean.

nczoofan likes this.
  4. TigerValley98

5. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I feel like for the time being, unless they want to put in money and time and revamp it, it be a decent building for small mammals, which it already has some residents.

6. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like the direction of the zoo with the asian highlands and tiger exhibits. Simple but high quality exhibits for species that deserve better homes, yet that do not break the budget like the elephant exhibit. It seems like from the zoos website that the most signifigant components of the PCA collection are the Madagascar animals and gorillas. Besides that their are some cool species, yet no big crowd pleasers. Maybe the zoo could just construct an African primate complex closer to the African section with gorilla, lemur, and mandrill. I'm imagining something like Como has for gorillas, along with a trail system for the primates. That would cover most of the species within the building, obviously bar the aquatics collection.

Why I never see a PCA refurb, is first of all the cost. Infilling the zoo with the asian highlands exhibit and cheetah exhibit is most likely much cheaper than retrofitting the building and constructing new outdoor exhibits. Also it just seems so separated from the zoo, that naturally without a draw, its hard to justify it remaining open. Also in the past the zoo did want to expand the rhino exhibit if I am not mistaken? Is that still in the longterm plans given the success their breeding program has seen.

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. TigerValley98

Its has been discussed moving the zoo’s aquatics to a modular aquarium where the amphitheater is located. They would relocate the current collection. Modular to allow it to be added to in the future with new exhibits.

They also mentioned moving stuff off the hill so the tram service up the hill could be ended.

StoppableSan and nczoofan like this.
  8. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Seems like good moves for the zoo. The location kind of reminds me of World of Birds at the Bronx Zoo. Atop a large hill, although those pathways are extremely steep, definitely in excess of modern standards for accessibility. Therefore many people don't even venture up the hill, especially those in wheelchairs and strollers. Having personally seen the costs and intricacies of retrofitting and renovating concrete dominated buildings, especially ones this big it seems like the right decision overall.

A modular aquarium is an interesting concept but definitely works, what does the zoo even keep anyway in the aquatics section? As from pictures I saw, it never seemed to be an impressive collection.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. TigerValley98

The zoo’s aquatics started when the original Cleveland Aquarium closed in the 1980s. It is not the most impressive collection, but some aquatics is better than none at all.

StoppableSan and nczoofan like this.
  10. TigerValley98

11. TigerValley98

12. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Primates, Cats, & Aquatics Building
    at the Cleveland MetroParks Zoo

"The year is 1978..."

The highest elevated corner of the Cleveland MetroParks Zoo separates itself from the world in every aspect. 40 years ago, the Primates, Cats, and Aquatics building was revealed, and as decades passed, very little has changed. It would be appropriate to say that any visit to this attraction is like a walk into the year 1978. One of the few places in the country that continues to use its old style exhibitory for the Earth's star creatures. Tropical fish, lemurs, and even Gorillas continue to live in habitats that have remained nearly the same since their debut. Come with me to living history, at the Primates, Cats, and Aquatics Building at the Cleveland MetroParks Zoo.

13. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just thought of a renovation idea that would make sense as well as maintain the existing structure. Nix the cats (Asian Highlands, anyone?), base it around Charles Darwin's theories/findings. (Similar to Zoo Rostock). As for interior redesign, a modern yet timeless interface/paint job could be implemented, that godawful carpet can be removed, natural substrate and murals could be added to the indoor exhibits, and the outdoor habitats can be expanded significantly. Even the gorillas can stay where they have always stayed. Or if they should move to the old parking lot for their exhibit, chimps should be brought back, taking over all the indoor spaces currently for mandrills and gorillas.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Moebelle, thanks again for sharing. Always well documented and entertaining.

BTW: how many golden bellied mangabey do they have?
    Any others in US zoos?

I suspect most of the African primates might move out to the African section later on. This would vacate a lot of ground in the PCA building ....!

BTW: Is it still up for demilotion? It seems that the building might still have some use in it - even though it is a concrete jungle brand -?

Can you upload the Masterplan (CLR Design, 2012) here?

Moebelle likes this.
  15. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

They have a pair, but the female has been spayed - she is diabetic, I think, and this was done for health reasons. A pity.

The only others in the USA are in Texas, I want to say Houston; correction, please, if this is wrong.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. TigerValley98

17. TigerValley98

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. TigerValley98

The cheetah exhibit is not on this month’s Cleveland Metroparks board meeting. Asian Highlands was finalized and announced this time last year. This means it may not open in June 2019 like Tiger Passage and Asian Highlands.

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very deeply sad, one can see the irony of this ASIAN LANTERN exhibit as a total cash cow, and nothing is being posted of the baby onager born! Why is that? We champion all this chatter about endangered species one picks and chooses? Why aren't they giving ANY reference to baby onager being born at the zoo?

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Onager foal it is why Conservation Breeding was invented in the first place!!!! Deplorable...

It is why zoos matter exactly!!!!!