Join our zoo community

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Cleveland Metroparks Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by TigerValley98, 1 Jan 2018.

1. mwalle09

mwalle09 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think they hear you on this, the moves they've made and plan on making, as Tiger Valley went over, I think are things they are using to shore up a lot of the confusing parts of the zoo.

2. grandelover1

grandelover1 Well-Known Member

Thank you!!!

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A question I have been asking myself is: When will Primate, Cat, and Aquatic Building get rebranded? This year or next? When Asian Highlands reopens, only cheetahs remain. I wonder who will get the red panda and snow leopard exhibits.

4. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Are the black-footed cats no longer on exhibit in the nocturnal wing? My last visit I wasn't able to make it up to PCA (not a big loss, to my view, despite a few good species), but the zoo's website still lists them as part of the collection. Regardless, I'd much rather the zoo engaged in some kind of major rehab of the building rather than a simple branding. I'm shocked at the little that has been done to update or renovate that sorry building over the past decades since the Aquatics section opened.

5. TigerValley98

The black-footed cats are no longer on exhibit. I do not know if they are even at the zoo anymore.

6. TigerValley98

The zoo is evaluating who will live in the soon to be empty exhibits at PCA asa well as the rebranding of PCA.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  7. TigerValley98

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. grandelover1

Do y’all know if there will be a phase two of Asian Highlands? I think they should tear down the bear grottos and turn it into an Andean Mountains section

9. TigerValley98

There has been no mention of a second phase. I think the Andean bear could get a newer exhibit at some point, but they are the only species Not from Asia or North America. Sloth bears will likely get an updated exhibit at some point. There already is developing an Asian corridor in Wilderness Trek: tigers, sloth bears, onagers, tufted deer/storks, and Asian Highlands. The zoo’s priority at the moment is to start getting animals off that hill. I do not know why the Aldabra tortoises are not somehow added to this cheetah exhibit. It is ridiculous to have to move them like they have to each year. It is not like it would have to be fancy. I am just glad they started doing these smaller projects. A large project every five years was going to make the zoo get more outdated.

StoppableSan and grandelover1 like this.
  10. TigerValley98

11. mwalle09

I agree with the small projects too. They have been sorely needed and until they are done, the zoo has found a nice way to knock out some small priorities in between the large scale ones. I expect the lions, bears and tortoises to be dealt with soon. Their exhibits are incredibly outdated and in need of an update. I see that Asian Corridor working out nicely too because it works well with the animals they currently have.

In addition to the small animals projects, I think they've also done a nice job of creating some other funding sources. Stillwater Place seems like the hot venue to rent for a wedding or event and the carousel was a nice thing to put into a better kids area.

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. grandelover1

How much undeveloped usable land is left?

13. TigerValley98

There is the old rhino lot. That is likely to become the new primate area. There is other room because there are gaps between certain exhibits. If the RainForest finally goers absorbed by the zoo, they could use Lion Lot for exhibits too. They could also expand into the neighboring Cleveland Metropark.

14. mwalle09

I agree, there is the old Rhino lot which is in a no-man's land. There are areas in the back of Wilderness trek and Waterfowl lake, both are banks up a hill though so not sure what you could do there. Free Flight Falls was a nice idea and needs a little work to make it an "exhibit." The deck walk is another area of potential I think, just do something to spruce it up. I don't mind using it but there could definitely be a lot more done with it. Last spot I can think of is by the leopard, just a little picnic area now. If memory serves, some of these will be filled with the Cheetahs or Asian Highlands but I cannot remember now.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. TigerValley98

Cheetah will take it over and were the Amur leopard currently is located. Asian Highlands is next to Grin and Bear Eats in Wilderness Trek.

16. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just had my third visit, first since August of 2013. I filmed all I could, obviously due to the cold. In the upcoming weeks I will feature the RainForest, highlighting the playful nature of their young orangutan. Next will be a two part episode covering the Wilderness Trek, only presenting the Wolf Lodge and a couple of the paddocks - along with the Asian Highlands constructio. Part two will be an extensive video on the newer Tiger Passage. The third one will present the famous and highly criticized Primates, Cats, and Aquatics building.

There weren't many changes throughout the zoo. Some of the exhibits in the PCA building have been covered with more natural looking substrate. Other than a new pavilion being constructed in front of African Elephant Crossing that's about all I know of.

StoppableSan and TigerValley98 like this.
  17. TigerValley98

That is the new Welcome Pavilion being constructed. Merah is very active. She is an opposite of her mother Kera Wak. Merah is more like Kayla. It had to be fun getting to Wilderness Trek.

18. TigerValley98

19. grandelover1

20. TigerValley98

I did not notice it was out of date until after I posted it. Sorry!

grandelover1 likes this.