Join our zoo community

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Cleveland Metroparks Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by Tiramtortlephant, 13 Jan 2020.

1. mwalle09

mwalle09 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I could see a real possibility for that, but I would also think that would be a major investment to get off the ground right. I do love the idea of using the existing hill and forest as something that's more informative than activity based but there's no reason you can't do both in this sense. I also like the idea of having some Indian Ocean/India/keep the Madagascar exhibits. A lot of potential in that if they want the PCA or see a future for it. One major element that will continue to hurt it is that it's just disconnected from the rest of the zoo.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The conversion into a Madagascar Building/Oceanarium complete with a panoramic vista of a live coral reef will hopefully incentivize people to come in the winter to see lemurs, fossa, herps, birds like fodies/white-faced whistling ducks, nocturnal creatures and tropical fish (maybe even sharks), and it's all the more reason to implement something like a gondola or tram system.

3. Tiramtortlephant

Tiramtortlephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Don't quote me on this, but I remember a "primate forest" being discussed as a possibility for the hill during the tenure of Steve Taylor - even though it didn't make it into the extremely-thorough master plan he developed before his retirement. Gorillas and orangutans would live among the trees already growing in place on the hillside, in long enclosures that would make full use of the hill's elevation and height.
    It would be an unprecedented undertaking for the CMZ and zoos overall as far as I know - which makes it way too ambitious for the current administration and their trajectory. But that's just my opinion . . .

4. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The RainForest at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo is closed until Fall 2020 while the glass dome is replaced.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. mwalle09

mwalle09 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I remember this too. It would be unprecedented, my guess would be on a larger scale than AEC in scope and money too. It would help connect that area of the zoo but those two species are better served in the Rainforest plan they have now I think, it makes more sense. Happy to see they are remodeling the Rainforest dome so soon, this is a weird time we live in and I think doing it sooner will mean an easier transition when things are back to "normal."

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  6. Tiramtortlephant

So, at the risk of controversy and (hopefully) fruitful discussion: I have seen the new Maltz Rhino Reserve . . . and I'm thoroughly underwhelmed.

I fully appreciate the difficulties of developing new exhibits/enclosures but I am disappointed in the aesthetics and scope of this project. There isn't much that makes it thematically similar to the surrounding area, the zoo, or even other animal exhibits. It looks very pretty, don't get me wrong, but to me it looks like it would fit into any Cleveland Metroparks setting, not necessary the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. The landscaping isn't even particularly interesting given the area and the animals. The shade structure and the log are the only fixtures in the exhibit other than the animals themselves. It feels almost archaic - a city planner's idea of a zoo exhibit.

I also think its worth mentioning the iconography of what was lost. Monkey Island - for all its significant flaws - was one of the central landmarks of the zoo, in the minds of so many locals at the very least. We all remember the controversy its sudden removal caused. In its place we got a rhino pit, and not a particularly dynamic one at that. It checks a box off - rhinos need more room? Done. After that much investment in one spot, it's unlikely that a more immersive, unique rhino exhibit will be constructed for some time.

I'm not trying to be overly negative with this post. If the rhinos have more space and makes them happier and healthier at the CMZ - that's the only thing that matters ultimately and I'll gladly shut myself up. Its still brand-new and changes can and most likely will be made. But I don't think I'm out-of-line in being concerned with the broad strokes represented in the design and implementation. This was an exhibit made quickly with a relatively small investment. It serves its intended purpose of expanding the rhino's habitat. For me, it accomplishes this bare minimum and not much else. I feel very little creativity or vision was put into this design, even when compared to Tiger Passage and Asian Highlands. And I don't like that precedent being set for a zoo I'm extremely invested in.

But, again, just my personal opinion. I look forward to hearing yours.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2020
  7. TigerValley98

It is ironic that the zoo that has been known for over decorating exhibits (Australian Adventure for example) is built a functional exhibit without overdoing the theme. They needed the space. It was done in-house. Monkey Island made CMZ look out of date just like PCA and the bear grottos. If they want to add theming, they can do that later. It is not as if some theming could have been done this spring with the stay at home order anyway.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What about mud wallows, trees and rocks / timber for seclusion or getting out of sight of one another in rhino?

9. TigerValley98

The importance of the expansion was to give Forest some room and his own barn. The females did not like sharing a barn with him. Forest spent a lot of his time in the back off-exhibit before the expansion. Additional things can be added later on. I think the zoo wanted to get it open. Anything that would have been done by out of state companies while the zoo was closed could not have been done because of the stay at home order. Akron had to delay Wild Asia because of this. It has caused delays at Columbus and Cincinnati too.

10. Tiramtortlephant

Animal welfare is #1 priority, and on that front I have no issues or grievances. Anything is better then that pathetic backyard in the original rhino enclosure and if the entire crash is happier and healthier, then my petty aesthetic issues are meaningless. Something is better than nothing, every time.

As far as the exhibit is concerned, herein lies my concern - the final result looks exactly like the designs that were released. The on-paper vision of the enclosure was fully realized. I can't imagine any out-of-state companies would be needed for additional work. The design was finalized well before the pandemic and stay-at-home orders were even conceivable, and the entire project was finished on their original schedule. The final enclosure is exactly what they envisioned and wanted it to be.

Timely execution and expansion is absolutely worth celebrating. I, personally, just want more to get invested in. If Cleveland can emulate the model of Columbus and other zoos with rapid expansion and fundraising to build or revamp smaller exhibits, why can't Cleveland push the same boundaries in terms of presentation, education, and animal enrichment? And I only have these issues because I love this zoo - I think it can do better.
    rhino capture.PNG rhino.jpg

11. TigerValley98

News Update Video

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Tiramtortlephant

Thank you so much for sharing this, TigerValley 98. I noticed the video is unlisted and most of us - myself included - wouldn't be able to view the content were it not for your generosity. And this is a tremendously exciting development.

StoppableSan and TigerValley98 like this.
  13. TigerValley98

It is unlisted. It was sent by Cleveland Zoological Society. I figured ZooChatters would want to see it. I honestly do not know why it was not public. It would explain why the RainForest is closed. Besides COVID-19 that is.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What will happen to the flat rooftop, will that be redone as well, looks a bit an eye sore now (and even more in future when the new dome is up on top there with new technology and plastic film materials.

15. TigerValley98

I assume the flat roof will be redone. Probably how you would redo a basic flattop building. I actually think the new dome will be an improvement. The old dome glass has not aged well. Looking at the current dome was a bit of an eyesore.

16. Tiramtortlephant

I agree. Personally, I always thought the old dome made the Rainforest look like a gimmicky 90s-style mall. From what we can see, the new one looks a lot slicker and modern. Great way to modernize a structure while keeping its overall character intact.

17. Tiramtortlephant

The steel and aluminum structure for new Rainforest dome has been set in place. There's a full blog post from the Cleveland Zoological Society but I'll summarize it here.
    • The full dome cost is $3.5 million dollars, fully funded by the Cleveland Metroparks. This was possible due to the $2.5 million Maltz Rhino Reserve beeing fully funded by Society donors.
    • The entire roof is not being replaced (at this time) due to a full evaluation of the building "as part of early design and planning work for a new primate habitat."
    • The Rainforest is eyeing a November reopening, based on the construction schedule
    • They're using 3 layers of ETFE panels instead of traditional glass for the dome. its a bit complex and much more common in European zoos. Sounds like a cool addition.
    The full post is worth a read: https://www.clevelandzoosociety.org...9MeyO1Ee-H9qMMU-6pKXChQHnu-_hkNfm8e0YAQy4JA9o

18. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

For anyone not familiar with ETFE think of it as plastic sheeting.;)
    The Buffalo Zoo's rainforest building also has an ETFE roof. Most rainforest type buildings being planned these days prefer ETFE for several reasons: primarily the lighter weight ETFE (compared to glass) requires less steel to hold it up and fewer columns to support the structure. The triple layer is to provide winter insulation. In a less severe area one might just have two layers.

19. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Is this the same material used in the former ape house at Krefeld?

20. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I don't know. But I doubt it. It appears that building opened in 1975 before ETFE was around.

It is, though, the material that makes the Eden Project and Gondwanaland possible

Last edited: 18 Aug 2020
    StoppableSan likes this.