Join our zoo community

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Cleveland Metroparks Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by Tiramtortlephant, 13 Jan 2020.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, it does not.

2. Tiramtortlephant

Tiramtortlephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Tiramtortlephant

Last edited: 26 Aug 2020
  5. Tiramtortlephant

6. Tiramtortlephant

118960084_3080082275454465_1289490186723621679_n.jpg

Here's an image from the Facebook page Mistakes on the Lake (haha) regarding the historic flooding seen in Cleveland. The view - if you aren't familiar - is the browse barn and Steffee Center, with the iconic Rainforest dome peeking over the trees at the top.

It's a stark reminder of the difficulties associated with continued expansion at the zoo. It is and always has been built on a floodplain of the Big Creek and occasionally the creek likes to remind everyone of that fact.

I recall the legend of the old Reptile Collection, which was housed in the basement of the original central building of the zoo. It existed in the same spot where this photo was taken if I'm remembering correctly.

In January 1959, the Big Creek flooded and inundated the entirety of the building, wiping out the entire collection - some 150 exotic reptiles - in the basement. The only survivors (the legend goes) were two turtles that held their breath long enough to be rescued. As a result, there wasn't a substantial reptile collection at the zoo until the Rainforest was constructed. It also (partly) explains the moats built for the bear grottos in WIlderness Trek.

I heard the story, not from the CMZ (although they acknowledge the incident on their website) but the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. They benefitted from the tragedy by acquiring all the deceased reptiles. You can see many of the victims on display in the museum's galleries today.

That's a firsthand account from the late Larry Isard, the museum's taxidermist for decades.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2020
  7. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has publicly discussed it in the past. The zoo floods periodically. Here are a couple of links on zoo history:

https://resourcelibrary.clemetzoo.com/Historical/1

https://resourcelibrary.clemetzoo.com/Download/PDF?fileName=CMZ_History.pdf

8. mwalle09

mwalle09 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It does show the difficulty developing that part of the zoo for sure and it is a good reminder of the geographic challenges of the CMZ.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I understand the Cuyahoga River is not that far off from Big Creek and the latter feeds into the river, right?

Could it be a de facto nature reserve of riverine or creek floodplain habitat? And?Or: Might not deforestation, the amount of build up areas around the zoo, lack of treeline and lack of floodwater basin storage be a factor in the flooding issue at all?

bgeezle513 and StoppableSan like this.
  10. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A baby giraffe has been born to mum, Jhasmin.

Jungle Man, Okie and StoppableSan like this.
  11. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jungle Man, Jambo and StoppableSan like this.
  12. TigerValley98

Tufted deer fawn born.

13. Tiramtortlephant

Thanks again for posting this video - I notice it's unlisted on Youtube.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. TigerValley98

15. Noah Butas

Noah Butas Well-Known Member

Cincinnati now Cleveland

16. wyldjaguar

wyldjaguar Well-Known Member

Apologies, a little late to reply, but just saw the post! (Yeah, I've been gone a while...)
    Re: Asian Highlands - I do love the theming of the areas and space the exhibit has given the leopards, but admit I'm not a fan of "the wooden board-look." To point, I love the fact they have enrichment, but wish the items could've been themed to look more natural. Flipside, I feel the same about the wooden platforms created for the bears, too. I was a little underwhelmed at the area created for red pandas and wish they could've reconfigured the takin area, but I understand budget and space limitations. I'm not 'hating' and do like the area, I just wish they could've taken a few things to the next level...

Re: Lion/Path Between - I know there was talk about expanding the lion exhibit by the food court (I had posted a pic of an old master plan, um, plan), but was always a big fan of creating something in front of the hay barn along that lower path. Yes, I know it's a floodplain, but always thought the CMZ could create some type of African kopje-themed exhibit for larger carnivores similar to what Ft. Wayne has in their African area. They could expand the lion area, shift the cheetahs from PCA, and perhaps add cape dogs and hyena.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.