Join our zoo community

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Cleveland Metroparks Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'United States' started by Tiramtortlephant, 3 Jan 2022.

1. Zoo fanatic

Zoo fanatic Well-Known Member

I would assume Beardsley because the are just finishing their new exhibit

2. AlmightyKingPrawn

AlmightyKingPrawn Well-Known Member

So, to recap as someone who has never been here and is very likely going this weekend, what bears will I spot? I've seen 7 out of 8 species (Asian black bear eludes me), so it isn't urgent, but it'd be nice to see more of a sun bear than just its leg hanging over a ledge (my sole viewing of them in Atlanta, even then as stated literally just its leg) or a look at an Andean bear that isn't asleep all day due to being geriatric (Toledo) or looking as overheated as I was on that 100°F day as it panted in the shade exhausted (Saint Louis). From what I take the former may happen and the latter is not, but I would like a full recap so my tiny pea brain fully registers what I may see on the trip.

3. CMZman

CMZman Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sun Bear- Scruffy is currently living in 'retirement' in the Asian Highland section of Northern Trek across from the old bear exhibits (Currently under construction).
    Grizzly Bear/Black Bear- Live in the the two remaining rock exhibits between the seal exhibit and Asian Highland. Last time I was there Grizzlies were on the left exhibit.
    Sloth Bear-
    Alternates exhibits with one of the above species. Last time their sign was in the former Polar Bear grotto on the right (Although I didn't see them)
    Andean Bear- Were moved out due to the construction of Bear Hollow

4. CMZman

Just left Cleveland Zoo. Here's what I saw worth reporting
    • Scruffy the Sun Bear was off exhibit.
    • Snow Leopards off exhibit
    • The interior walkthrough of Asian Highlands was blocked off. Looked like work was going on inside.
    • Many of the primates in PCA were off exhibit.
    • Bear Hollow construction has expanded. The last time I was there, the path between the wolves and Asian Highland was open. Now guests need to go all the way down the giraffe hill and under the Fulton Bridge is they want to see the bears, tigers, ect...
    • The 'Tucker Place' dining area in Australian Adventure (Closer to Elephant Crossing) is seemingly being converted to exhibits. Not sure what will be displayed. Pic
    • Seal pool now very green. Could barely see the seals

Smaggledagle and StoppableSan like this.
  5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Active Member

The Tucker place might become additional off exhibit holding for smaller animals. But you never know! Also Maybe a new species in Asian Highlands? I wonder.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2022
  6. CMZman

My first guess was Scruffy had passed away and they were doing exhibit work to prep it for a new species

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I sure hope not! I'd really like to see sun bears before they're completely gone from US Zoos, and Cleveland is the current holder that is most accessible to me. Hoping to find time to go in the imminent future.

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Catoctin might be easier for you? It can be combined with Maryland, or even Smithsonian depending on hours. Though it's close to closing time for the season.

9. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From Massachusetts, yes it would, but now that I'm attending college in Buffalo, no. From college, Cleveland is a possibility for an (admittedly long) day trip, as it's a little over 3 hours away.

TinoPup likes this.
  10. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was thinking from MA, didn't know you're currently in Buffalo :)

Neil chace likes this.
  11. AlmightyKingPrawn

AlmightyKingPrawn Well-Known Member

I went today. Either Scruffy is not dead or they got another sun bear as I saw a tiny snoot peek out from under a lumpy blanket. I'm also assuming that the without-sign red panda in Primates, Cats and Aquatics (separate from the two I saw in the Asian Highlands and in what looks like it typically is an outdoor primate enclosure) is not normal. CMZman's comment of primates being off exhibit no longer applies, everyone was out and active except the colobus who were MIA. And while not news I feel I should note that there was a fossa running on a giant hamster wheel and that image will never leave my head. And someone pointed at the capybara for his daughter and said "that's a gerbil".

12. CMZman

Zombie Scruffy?

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Active Member

I mean Halloween is in a month so...

Corangurilla likes this.
  14. CMZman

Good news. There's apparently a Sun Bear in CLE still. Check the Zoo Galley here

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Active Member

I'd still recommend you go as soon as possible. The Cleveland zoo Sun Bear is elderly and is probably passing in the coming years.

16. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. CMZman

I wonder if the zoo will be doing anything in November to celebrate the RainForest's 30th.

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Active Member

I'd assume so.

19. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I contacted the zoo yesterday to see which birds would be affected by bird flu and they said that their ducks, geese, Trumpeter Swans, Andean Condors, Steller Sea Eagles, White Backed Vultures and Marabou Storks would be taken off exhibit. Flamingos, ostriches, Red Crowned Cranes and African Starlings etc.. will remain on exhibit. This doen't apply for the birds being kept inside the Rainforest.

20. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member