Join our zoo community

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo Cleveland Metroparks Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 23 May 2008.

Tags:
  1. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

Tufani, Tsavo, Ali, Mclean, and Tamani: Only bulls in Florida.
    Tufani-7
    Tsavo-2
    Ali-19
    Mclean-28
    Tamani-5

I think it is either Ali or Tufani.

3. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

The article said southern zoo so its not necessarily a Florida Zoo. Even though Tamani and Tufani are getting to that "rambunctious" age, I do think its Ali. Though doubtful it could be Sdulda from Montgomery or Artie from NC.

4. JaxElephant

JaxElephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hope it isn't Ali, I will miss the big guy if he leaves. He still hasn't breed with the Jax's females yet.

5. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

I have talked to Geoff Hall, our general curator and it is most definitely Tamani. Still not 100% positive we are getting him, but it is very likely. If we do get him it will be well after the exhibit opens.

6. Dallaspachyderm

Isn't he a bit young to be seperated from Ellie, at age five?? I guess the zoo is hoping to diversify their herd?

7. JaxElephant

I think so too, I saw this guy in October and he was always by his mother side and rarely did leave her side.

8. loxodonta

5 years of age is the normal time when a male is pushed out of his herd. It can happen as early as 2 years of age.

9. JaxElephant

I thought it was when they reach puberty, around 12 years of age.

10. Dallaspachyderm

Yes, it is anywhere from ten to thirteen. Definitely not two, let alone five. Elephants care for their male offspring up until the point they become driven by sex. And I highly doubt a five year old calf is at the point of independence.

11. loxodonta

Females will push a young male out of the immediate herd between 2-7 years of age and they will tolerate the male around the outside of the herd for awhile until the male moves away to form bachelor herds. I have worked with an elephant that had been pushed out of the immediate herd at the age of 2 1/2 years. These were Asians and not Africans but I was told it applies for both species. Unfortunately zoos do not have large enough enclosures to allow the young males to basically "satellite" around the herd. Louie at Toledo is 7 and has been separated from Renee for at least a year. And like Louie it is around the five year mark when they start to test their bravado.

12. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

13. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

14. Animaldude

Animaldude Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cleveland is getting a bull named Willy from DAK. The Omaha cow Shenga already arrived and is in the process of being introduced to the resident cows Jo, Moshi, and Martika

15. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what happened to the plans of acquiring Tamani ? Have those been scrapped or still a go ?

16. Tiramtortlephant

Tiramtortlephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Still on the agenda last time I checked. They're waiting for the current herd to get settled before they bring him in.

17. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

Saw the girls outside in their night range for the first time today.The exhibit looks great,the two main exhibit yards just need to fill in with grass and vegetation.Things look good for the May 5 grand opening.The elephants have a lot more room than before and there are multiple vantage points for visitors.Our favorite feature is a wooded area of huge trees and brush in the second yard that replicates the scrublands of Africa.

Team Tapir

18. team tapir

During a special on Elephant Crossing which aired on our local ABC affiliate channel 5 Cleveland Zoo director Steve Taylor hinted at renovations of the flamingo and lion yards.As well as existing plans to redo the main entrance of the zoo.Considering that flamingos are also exhibited at Waterfowl Lake we would love to see the flamingo yard at the main entrance converted into an African Penguin exhibit,which fits right into the areas geographical theme and penguins are highest on visitor surveys for animals not currently at the zoo which you would like to see.

Team Tapir

19. team tapir

The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo's African Savannah has been open since 1984,however it is only recently that zoo visitors realized that on the back of the Savannah trail the giraffes can get close enough to feed.People started tearing off various foliage from nearby shrubs and trees and feeding it to the giraffes.It has become such a problem that the zoo has now put a large fallen tree from a nearby park to keep the giraffes further from the trail.The zoo has done a good job of creating a natural barrier here considering something had to done.The show you care do not feed signs were simply not cutting it.

Team Tapir

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sadly, it is amazing what lengths some zoo visitors are prepared to go to. At quite a few zoos around here there is a strict no feeding policy and thus those failing to adhere may likely be asked to leave the premises. I do think that is fair and not at all public unfriendly.