Join our zoo community

Clouded Leopards- Captive Numbers, Exhibit Design, and such

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by DragonDust101, 7 Dec 2016.

1. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

I've recently noticed that there are many different zoos with clouded leopards that keep them in strange conditions, with not much but branches to climb and no really innovative exhibits. Have you seen innovative clouded leopard exhibits in zoos, and what would be the population in zoos?

2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I estimate that there are around 85 to 90 clouded leopards in the US. They are a primarily arboreal species, so I feel those exhibits you mention that are primarily branches are actually best suited for them.

The exhibit at Brookfield Zoo is indoors; it has a large number of "fallen" branches and bamboo stalks around the exhibit, like a forest destroyed by a hurricane. It's a bit hard to explain, but I'm sure we have pictures of it.

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some info:
    Clouded Leopard Conservation

Relatively recently only the three zoos mentioned (National, Nashville, Point Defiance) had/were breeding the species in America. The population has grown exponentially since then, with Nashville being the primary proprietor. The main spot for research seems to be the Khao Kheow Open Zoo in Thailand, where not so long ago the second-ever litter of artificially inseminated cubs was born:
    http://newsdesk.si.edu/mobile/releases?id=8273

I'd say Coelacanth's estimate is accurate; perhaps even a tad low. Last year's AZA population was 87, there's been births since then.

Around 2010 (the years 2008 and 2011 stick out to me, not sure which) a study was conducted on clouded leopards at the Smithsonian facilities and it was found that the less vertical space access they had, the more stressed that the cats were. As such, the minimum height requirement for enclosures in the AZA is now 8 feet.

Other article about them in captivity:
    A New Home for Clouded Leopards

About the National Zoo's exhibit for them: http://www.zoolex.org/zoolexcgi/view.py?id=961

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One of the lies that AZA perpetuates is that prior to their consortium no zoo in the states had a successful breeding program. The truth is that the only zoo with a successful breeding program well before theirs started was Tanganyika Wildlife Park: http://www.twpark.com/animals/clouded-leopard.php. There was also one (and perhaps more) private breeders - the one I am thinking of supplied cats for San Diego Zoo's animal show (that couple has since retired).

The good news for everyone is the cats are now more common in captivity in the United States and breeding regularly. As for exhibits, I think everyone agrees Nashville is about the best around (though I have not seen the fairly new one at Point Defiance).

5. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

How does the timeline of the situation in the US compare to that in Europe?
    (This is kind of a greedy question because I'm basically asking for a short history of Cloudie breeding on each continent. Feel free to ignore.)

6. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

@FunkyGibbon : In general, this has been a fairly recent development. The cloudies from this increased reproductive boom are all younger than 10, and I believe that many/most are younger than 5.

7. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

The National Zoo's exhibit is superb and very naturalistic.

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Article from Zoophoria about clouded leopards in the USA :

zoophoria

Arizona Docent likes this.