Join our zoo community

Cochrane Polar Bear Habitat Cochrane Polar Bear Habitat News

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 25 Nov 2014.

1. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought captive male polar bears were kept apart as they're naturally aggressive toward one another unless they're castrated? What conditions enabled the Cochrane Polar Bear Habitat to integrate Inukshuk, Henry, and Ganuk together?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I do not believe any of the boys are castrated but I could be wrong.

When Henry first arrived from Australia they began introductions to Ganuk pretty soon thereafter. Henry was very young and I don't think he's reached maturity yet even now (may be why Inukshuk has taken such a shine to Henry, he' not a threat yet). They have been pals for a couple years now.

Inukshuk has always been a social guy. He's lived off and on with Toronto's females Nikita and Aurora for years and always enjoyed the company of another bear. He's been in visual contact with Ganuk off and on for years as well when he moved back and forth between Toronto and Cochrane each year so it's not like they are total strangers.

Another thing that might help is that they have a number of habitats which allow the bears to be together when they want to and separate at other times. They have a massive enclosed lake exhibit the boys can enjoy at the same time and if they want to be no where near each other that's a realistic possibility.

I'm not sure if this helps as well but the facility has no females they need to compete over.

If you want to know more about the integration process and how they have successfully done it maybe you should reach out to Cochrane's facebook page. They seem to respond to questions quite a bit. It is an interesting process getting three large adult male polar bears together. If it's something that could be replicated with the right bears it is something that really might help with captive management.

Elephant Enthusiast and Yi Qi like this.
  3. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Fascinating! Thank you @TZFan for explaining the integration process of Inukshuk, Henry, and Ganuk and the reasoning behind the sucessful socialization. It's very interesting that the Cochrane Polar Bear Habitat was able to fully integrate their three male polar bears. It's extremely rare to see a situation like this in a captive environment.

4. TZFan

The Polar Bear Habitat is hosting Aquarium Du Quebec's Taiga and Eddy while their home is renovated.

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

6. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

7. TZFan

Cochrane is up to 5 bears now. Eddy and Taiga are visiting from Aquarium du Quebec. They have been there since October. Taiga is denning up in the lake yard where she is the first female polar bear in captivity to den in a natural environment. If she has cubs this year it will be a landmark first for captive bears.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. TZFan

9. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Looking at recent posts in this thread prompted me to find out what the current situation is regarding the Polar Bear Habitat.

“The Town will continue to support the capital and operational costs through 2020. After that time, we hope to turn over operational responsibility to the Habitat’s Board of Directors. This will fulfil our need to limit the demand on Cochrane taxpayers to support the Habitat and give the Board time to achieve its vision.”

Town of Cochrane Funding through 2020 - Canadian Polar Bear Habitat

Press Release – Future of Polar Bear Habitat | Town of Cochrane

10. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member