Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Cock-of-the-Rock

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Bwassa, 14 May 2011.

1. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

The latest membership/adoption mag has announced that Edinburgh is now home to a pair of Andean Cock-of-the-Rocks. They came from Sofia Zoo in Bulgaria. Don't know where they are housed though, the article didn't say. Can't wait to see them when I visit later in the year!

2. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is excellent news. More exciting than Pandas!
    I wonder when thi species was last seen in the UK? Raymond Sawyer perhaps?

3. eduardo_Brazil

eduardo_Brazil Well-Known Member

I wonder how this birds reached Sofia Zoo - Bulgaria ? since they are still rare in captivity! Any idea??

4. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bulgaria is one of the places in the EU that still freely imports wild-caught birds. So my assumption is that they came directly from South America and are wild-caught.

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder if they are in the aviary in the former lorikeet exhibit, which has a window to view them from outside?

6. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Definitely more exciting than Giant Pandas (even duller than Gorillas!)

7. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Very exciting news. Beautiful species.

(and I'd say equally as exciting as pandas, were it not for pandas being so sleep-heavy. So, yes, Rupicola wins!)

8. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Someone needs a visit to Howletts! :D

Anyway, very interesting species. Nice to see the growing rarity collection at Edinburgh soldier on despite all the current management problems.

9. Maguari

I've been to Howletts twice and all it did was remind me how much more interesting African Wildcats, Heck's Macaques, Grizzled Langurs, Nilgai, Giant Anteaters, Indian Desert Cats, Dholes, Ratels, North China Leopards, Geladas, Greater Kudu and dozens of others are compared to gorillas. :D

I'll now run away before Pertinax comes after me...

10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Be careful, I may be sneaking up behind you.

If you don't like gorillas, don't go to Howletts. The other species are virtually sideshows - amusing enough, but not the main event.

Alan

11. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

To be fair, a leopard is a leopard. It might be exciting to know you're seeing a rare subspecies, but nothing prepares you for the social cohesion of the gorilla groups, especially if all you've ever seen is glass-fronted small 'family groups' that struggle to breed with many changes to the group composition in an attempt to achieve that.

12. Maguari

Collections of cats, canids and cercopithecids like Howletts' can never be called sideshows. And even for the less nerdish visitor there are the rhinos, big cats, monkeys, wolves and that fantastic elephant herd. Plenty of non-gorilla fun!

Anywho, cocks-of-the-rock... :)

13. Maguari

Each to his own, but for me a leopard is inherently more interesting than a gorilla, regardless of subspecies. And although they are undoubtedly very cohesive gorilla groups, I just can't get excited about them. I don't dislike gorillas, but they just don't do much for me. Not everyone is fascinated by the same things, which is just as it should be.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Only twice?- I thought you were a regular there by now!!

Actually a lot of what I get out of Gorillas nowadays relates to their breeding history, family trees and relatedness, management and transfers etc. In many smaller groups(particularly those without juveniles) I'll agree all they do under normal circumstances is sit around and munch food a lot, or do nothing, though the big family groups at Howletts and Port Lympne are rather a different matter in that respect.

I'll now steer this back to 'Cocks of the Rocks' at Edinburgh. (steady as she goes on the tiller)

Last edited: 17 May 2011
  15. Maguari

Well, given I only went for the first time in 2009, again in 2010 and have a loose plan to go again this year, I am regular, just infrequent! :D

Steering with you, I seem to recall a debate somewhere on here about cotingas in general in the UK that seemed to reach the conclusion that there weren't any (in public collections at least). Can't find a thread now - may have been in the Chatroom. Good to know that little gap has been filled. :)

16. Tomek

Tomek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Amazon World Zoo Park in Isle of Wight have pair of Cotinga cayana.

17. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's why I added the word 'virtually' ;)

I can't get very excited about the c of the r, but I hope it starts a trend for a more varied bird collection at Edinburgh.

Alan

18. kiang

A posting on the zoo's facebook page

Margaret Mollon
    Cock of the Rock ( in Brilliant Birds )
    42 · 2 hours ago

Are they on display, can anyone confirm?

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

posted 20 hours ago on their facebook page, along with a photo: "If your (sic!) visiting the park in the coming weeks don't forget to stop by our Brilliant Birds aviary and see the striking new addition - the Andean Cock-of-the-rock..."

So they've been there for a year and they're only just now going on display?

20. kiang