Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo news 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by banham.tiger, 1 Jan 2017.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The problem is that if you open a new thread, the first post should contain some news! Like several other new threads opened for 2017 , banham.tiger 's didn't! This isn't a problem unique to him though

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think having an opening post with any carry-over news is actually useful as anyone who at some later date wants to know what is happening in the zoo that year won't have to go back to the previous thread to find it. I think we can look at Benosaurus's Dudley post as the gold standard but I saw no problem with this one.

As someone who makes their fair share of frivolous posts, but who also often finds others' frivolous posts annoying, I think it's best to adopt a live and let live approach to forum use. ZooChat is many things to many people and that's a good thing. :)

One thing we can agree on is that it is ridiculous that the Chimpanzee enclosure still could be considered news. It must be coming up to two years since work started.

BennettL, Zia and Giant Panda like this.
  3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I agree. I found the response to the opening of new threads quite disheartening.

4. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Thats okay haha anytime I post something on here I always seem to annoy someone or start a moan!

5. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Well if you're going to be a miserable pedant about it - the title of the thread is "Colchester Zoo 2017", not "New Colchester Zoo News"... so the information / 'chat' posted is entirely relevant.

wayne4swfc, BennettL and banham.tiger like this.
  6. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The annual zoo stock-take story has hit at Colchester. An interesting point from it is that as well as the upcoming rhino birth, they are also expecting a new pygmy hippo calf in the week preceding.

Colchester Zoo begins annual animal count!

7. simon lloyd

simon lloyd Well-Known Member

i actually came to ask how the chimp outdoor enclosure was doing , even though we are members not been since feb 16 and going back this weekend to renew passes ,

8. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When I was there 2 weeks ago to renew my pass, not a lot seemed to have changed, I suspect it will be a few months yet! It seems to be progressing at a rate only marginally quicker than the sun bear enclosure did.

9. simon lloyd

simon lloyd Well-Known Member

i was disappointed with the chimp indoor improvements , ( ie there was none for the chimps as nothing had changed ) they have been locked inside for far to long

10. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I recieved an email from the zoo last week that said until 31st january all child adult and senior tickets booked on line (etickets) are just £10 if that is of interest

Zia likes this.
  11. DesertRhino150

Got back from a morning's visit to renew my membership card. The weather was pretty naff, so a lot of the animals were indoors. A couple of things of note:

- Venus the female pygmy hippopotamus has very recently had her calf; do not know the sex of the baby
    - All signage for the Burmese mountain tortoises has been removed from the giant tortoise house; in their place has come a third Aldabran giant tortoise to join the current pair
    - Bush dog enclosure has progressed well although one thing I did notice was that there didn't seem to be any indoor area, nor was there anywhere an indoor area could conceivably stand

My dad, who joined me this morning, was quite disappointed by the way the zoo has gone. In his words, they have got rid of most of the more unusual animals (he was asking where the small cats and other small mammals were, for instance).

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any idea where the Burmese mountain tortoises might have gone to?

13. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Pygmy hippo has been born.

14. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Do you know where the third Albaran tortoise came from?

BennettL

15. DesertRhino150

Unfortunately I can find no information anywhere about where either the Burmese mountains departed to or where the new Aldabran giant arrived from.

16. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Alright.Thanks anyway.

BennettL

17. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

18. al222

al222 Active Member

Great news!!

Still think its a shame that the hippo enclosure is so Poor.

Could show off the animals so much better than that dark enclosure. Even the outside could do with a facelift and a proper pool

pipaluk likes this.
  19. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1:1 Southern Tamandua arrived on the 27th of January. 1:0 from Papiliorama called Oreo and 0:1 from Frankfurt called Ruth.

Macaw16, DesertRhino150 and pipaluk like this.
  20. DesertRhino150

Part of me had expected the zoo to quietly go out of keeping tamanduas after the loss of their last individual, considering the former pair never bred and were never the most active of animals.

Very pleased to have been proven wrong on this occasion.