Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo news 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by banham.tiger, 1 Jan 2017.

1. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another interesting piece of animal news I have not seen mentioned elsewhere - there is a species of palm civet (exact species is not mentioned, but I image the Asian palm civet is most likely) that is a participant in the animal displays. It is specifically mentioned as one of the animals looked after by the displays team on page 11 of the Spring 2017 issue of the Colchester Zoo magazine, included below.

Colchester Zoo Spring Magazine 2017

pipaluk likes this.
  2. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

I noticed that there has been signage put up in the "Lost Madagascar" part near the Lemur Bridge about "Fossa" which I hadn't seen before. So was wondering if anyone knows if there are plans for Fossa to be brought into the collection and housed near the Lemurs such as the enclosure that house the Asian Short Clawed Otters and Binturong? (I haven't actually seen the Binturong on at least my past 8 visits to the zoo, so not actually entirely sure they are still there)

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I saw them out today it was great to see. I also spoke to a worker who told me that he thinks the next project was going to be the redevelopment of lions. In my opinion I would rather them leave the lion enclosure alone for a few years and focus of bringing a new major species to the zoo.

Badgerman91 and pipaluk like this.
  5. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

6. Badgerman91

Great and overdue news about the chimps! Really look forward to seeing them outside on my next visit! Now with the expanded exhibit space will the zoo look to breed from the group again?

7. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Doubt it, they only have one pure Western Chimp (Pippin) and the rest are hybrids.

8. Badgerman91

Was the birth of Talia in 2009 an accident (?birth control failure).
    Colchester's group of chimps are very settled and I very rarely see any squabbles. So I doubt they would look to bring in any other pure Western Chimps?

9. MagpieGoose

I don't think Talia was an accident. I don't think it likely they will bring in anymore chimps just because only Pippin being pure.Pippin is 31 now, so he's getting on. Billy-Joe is thought to be 42 and Tara is 30. Apart from them 3, they have a young group, so waiting for them all to die off wouldn't be sensible. I would wait until the older ones die off, nuet the hybrids and bring in some pure individuals. I don't think anymore off-spring will be wanted off Pippin. Apart from at Twycross, he has never been in a breeding situation with other pure individuals

10. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Even then Pippin is related to Coco from Twycross who, as can be seen from her coat colour (chocolate just like Tumba here and Genet in Twycross), is clearly not great gene-wise!! So I doubt any breeding will happen with their current stock or with any new western females that could come in. They'd need a new male/males!

11. Badgerman91

So as Chimps can comfortably live into their 50's Colchester's group will remain static for a few more years to come then.

Colchester seems to have a number of hybrid animals (Anoushka- Hybrid Tiger, Rajang- Hybrid Orangutan for example) Is this a problem UK/Europe wide due to the breeding of animals not being managed well in the past before studbooks etc were set up?

12. MagpieGoose

In Rajang's case, Chester were keeping 2 Sumatran males in with some Bornean females and Rajang was the outcome. This was in 1968 and I don't think much was known about the 2 different sub-species at the time. Anoushka was born to 2 hybrid parents at Linton both from historic hybrids when tigers would be mixed together creating animals many zoos call 'Bengal Tigers'. In those days things like studbooks were of non-existent and zoos would mange there own stock by buying from other collections or pet shops.

Badgerman91 likes this.
  13. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With respect, I don't think the comments regarding Linton tigers are quite correct. The breeding female was pure Amur via St Petersburg ( I think), but the. Male came from Germany ( Munich?) & one of his siblings was found to be impure due to Sumatran genes . Meaning any offspring, including Anoushka at Colchester were not pure Amur. It is all recorded somewhere else on here I believe and was on the Colchester Zoo Days programme on Channel 5

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hybrids do stem from past management mistakes, but I suspect the two examples you mention may be at Colchester for different reasons. The tiger, from the history of its source above, may have been received as a bonafide purebred animal. Whereas Rajang the orangutan was a known hybrid before going to Colchester, who took him from Chester knowing he would be as an exhibit only.

Badgerman91 likes this.
  15. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

The conversation I had with a keeper a few years ago when doing a 'meet the tigers' experience would back this up.

16. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I apologise, Linton's Male tiger came from Hamburg ( though I did say Munich?) . I think the sibling found to be impure may have been moved to Munich or another German zoo when they were found to not be pure Amur .

17. Badgerman91

6 ring tailed Lemurs have been born within a week of each other.

"Once again we are pleased to announce that our ring-tailed lemur group have welcomed a number of tiny new arrivals almost exactly 1 year after our 2016 babies were born! On the 2nd April mum Ando gave birth to the first of our new arrivals with a single offspring, followed by Lexi who gave birth to twins on 3rd April. A few days later Alina gave birth to a single offspring on 8thApril, with experienced mum and Grandmother Madison completing the baby boom with the birth twins on 10th April 2017."

18. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It appears this hasn't been posted on this thread but Kito the young bull elephant, who was born 6th December 2002 at Colchester Zoo, has sadly passed away 12th March 2017 at Dvur Kralove Zoo due to heart failure:

Kito, an African Bush elephant at Dvur Kralove Zoo

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The 2016 annual report is now available, with the fantastic news that the zoo has joined that elite group of British collections that can boast an annual attendance of over 1 million, well done Colchester.

Colchester Zoo Annual Report 2016

20. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Badgerman91, pipaluk and kiang like this.