Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo history

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Roonwit, 20 Oct 2011.

1. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Member 10+ year member

Hi, brilliant plan to write the history atColchester. I was there in 87/88 not long after the Tropeanos had taken over. I was there for the dubious delights of the 1987 hurricane. Many of us lived in caravans adjacent to the car park and I will never forget being woken up at 6am by someone banging on the door. We could barely stand up as we walked around trying to check the damage around the park. The Tropeanos were away but Anthony and Sarah (both teenagers) were still in the house.
    We went to the house to check on them and offered both of them a scotch to calm them down before we tossed a coin to work out who would drive down to check whether the bears were still secure - thankfully they were.
    Up on the top ridge there was a lot more damage, resulting in one of the pumas getting out and also a wolf trotting around the car park area while we were busy trying to deter the tigers from climbing up the large tree that had fallen into their enclosure, providing a convenient escape route straight over the overhang. Luckily we managed to push the tree down into the enclosure before the tigers attempted to investigate.
    Thankfully the wolf returned to her enclosure relatively easily.
    The trail of damage was massive, especially in such a heavily wooded zoo based around the steep valley. It was amazing that the only losses we had were a raven who was killed when his aviary was destroyed, and the puma, who had to be shot mid-morning when she reappeared stalking a member of staff from the bank of trees next to the lake.
    We had no electricity for several days, the sealion and seal pools were full of leaves and debris, and the army came in after 2 days to help clear a lot of the bigger fallen trees and branches for us.
    The following night was quite entertaining as the entire gun crew were detailed to stay the night at the zoo in case of any repeat event (most of them lived locally but the roads were blocked) and all stayed the night in my very cosy caravan.
    I don't have any pictures from the hurricane but I do have a few of Tanya and Zola the elephants being trained as youngsters and also the old sealion pool and seal pool. Any more questions then feel free to contact me.

2. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

For some time this building was converted to house the Chimpanzees before their latter facility was built (ca 1990?). I seem to remember Brazilian Tapir being kept there for a while afterwards.

The Chimp facility in turn stood on the site of what I think were the Zoo's original big cat enclosures, which housed Lions and Tigers in 1974. That year I made a visit as a boy of 11 and was most annoyed to see photos in the guidebook that had quite clearly been taken at either London or Whipsnade - Binturong and Brindled Gnu respectively. Something tells me there were others, plus a photo of Grant's Zebra that was clearly shot in Africa.

By the time these cat enclosures were demolished Lions were still there, but the other enclosure had Spotted Hyenas. I wonder if one of that pair was the ancient animal that died only two years ago.

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember the zoo opening with a pair of lions and 'Kinna' the cheetah housed in two similar open-topped enclosures. There was at least one spotted leopard [black ones came later], but I cannot remember anything about his enclosre. Tigers were a much later addition. I too wondered about the old [and very friendly] Spotted Hyena, but have a feeling somebody gave his true age on here as nothing like as old as those originals would be; can anyone put the record straight here?

4. Roonwit

Roonwit Member

Dear everyone, thank you so much for all your contributions so far!

I've recently had a couple of weeks off the book; I'll try over the next fortnight to contact those who have offered further material.

5. Roonwit

Roonwit Member

But to answer a few of the general enquiries you good people have made here:

Goretex, the giraffe house was opened at the end of March 1969 and initially housed two giraffe named Roz and David, after the TV presenters who opened it (one being David Hamilton, later of 'Top of the Pops' fame). I have found a rather good picture of it from the time.

FBBird, I am not yet sure about the Spotted Hyena; the earliest reference to this species I have yet found is from 1999, though the creatures may go back much earlier. Incidentally, CZ had Striped Hyena from the very beginning and were great favourites.

6. Roonwit

Roonwit Member

IanRRobinson,

Your memory is pretty good: the current chimpanzee house opened early in 1992!

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Colchester certainly had spotted hyaena long before 1999; they were definitely in the collection during the 1980s.

8. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Vision of young Mr May barging his way onto the platform at Liverpool Street in his rush to get to deepest Essex...:D

9. LooseCannon

There was definitely a pair of spotted hyena at Colchester in 1987, they were housed just adjacent to the old chimp house near the hunting dog enclosures - by far the noisiest area of the zoo. Boy were those hyenas scary at night :)

10. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

Hi Roonwit,

It'll be good to meet up. I've private messaged you

Zooman64

11. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

12. bugs

bugs Well-Known Member

Its great to see the newly added photos from the late 80's in the gallery section.
    I'm guessing that the elephants in the pictures are Tanya and Zola.
    Who are the sealions/seal in the pictures? I'm guessing they are in the old seal pool (new otter enclosure).

13. Roonwit

Roonwit Member

Yes, I should think they are Tanya and Zola - just about the right size and no mention anywhere of other ellies living at or visiting the zoo at that time.

Great pictures, by the way; keep 'em coming!

14. LooseCannon

They are indeed Tanya and Zola when they first started their training. The sealions were Pat, Ago and Nia in the old pool by the lake below the children's zoo and the seals were Babyface and Bigboy and were in the small pool at the top of the zoo near the small cats

15. bugs

bugs Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. Does anyone know when the sealion pool/show area (where the 2nd penguin enclosure is now) opened?

I'm guessing the seals were then moved into the lake side pool after this.

16. bugs

bugs Well-Known Member

Just found this interesting clip from 1970 on Colchester Zoo's facebook page. At the very end of the clip there is what appears to be a king penguin.

I always thought that the only species of penguin Colchester have ever held (both now and in the past) are humboldts. You learn something new everyday, lol.

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Last edited: 21 Mar 2012
  17. Roonwit

Roonwit Member

Well spotted, bugs; indeed that is a King penguin. I don't know how long CZ had Kings, but there were definitely a couple living alongside the Humboldts in 1969 and in 1970.
    Thanks for pointing out the video - hugely interesting!

18. Roonwit

Roonwit Member

bugs, you are asking above about the penguin enclosures, but I don't quite understand the question; perhaps you could rephrase and I might be able to give some info?

19. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

Yes, Colchester Zoo certainly had King Penguins at one stage. There's a picture in a C.Z. guidebook from the early '70s. (Bizarrely, in its very early guides, Colchester Zoo often used photos taken at other zoos, particularly Whipsnade, which can be misleading, but this one of the penguins was definately taken at Colchester, as I can clearly remember the exhibit.)

20. sasha242

sasha242 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Vids

I found these two home video's form visits to colchester zoo in 1991 and1997 and it's interesting to see the enclosures that once housed animals that are still at the zoo.

It was also nice to see Sasha the white tiger and Subu the lion in their prime

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017