Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo news 2009 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Roz, 9 Aug 2009.

1. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

Quickly visited this afternoon.
    Rajang and Tiga were in the main indoor area although not interacting. :rolleyes:
    Red Kneed Tarantula has replaced the Haitian Brown Tarantula in the discovery centre.
    Saw the Von der Deckens Hornbill for the first time :D
    Found out that it will be about another 6 months until the New Ant colony starts to use the island.
    Baby Rhino expected in the next month
    Didn't go on the train but I think I heard the driver say that Venus the Pygmy Hippo is Pregnant :)
    Aardvarks off show during the work on their enclosure and the Amur Leopard Enclosure is progressing well and looks as if it will be very high :D

2. bugs

bugs Well-Known Member

I was worried by that too, when Silva (previous baby anteater) was born he was very easy to spot. But no need to panic.

From Colchester Zoo Bank Holiday News email:

"Come and see the baby anteater!
    After a few weeks hiding in a nest with it's mum, the baby anteater has been out and about around the enclosure and is now much easier to see! See if you can spot the baby on your next visit to Colchester Zoo!"

Really good news as the anteaters are my favourite animals at Colchester.

3. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Tut, Tut!!!!! wait until I tell him at the Orangutan Evening!! LOL. :) He'll have a strop on ya knows!! Only a week to go now ..... can't wait to see my fav guy again! :D

4. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

Andiii, if you are a card holder you could arrive at 7.30 as it's wake up with the zoo on the same day- although it would be a VERY long day!:D

5. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

I'd love to but we are currently Chester Zoo members not Colchester although we are planning to renew at Colchester when the current ones expire! It would be a long day though as you say - but we are staying over the Frid night too so we could have done it had we been members! :( Ahh well, next year perhaps! Are you going for it? Bet it's great - nice and peaceful!

6. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

I am and can't wait, think that it will be interesting to see the zoo before opening and am hoping to catch a glimpse of the Tamandua at their feed time and also go inside the church at Orangutan Forest!:)

7. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Have a great time - as you say, you will see things stirring that are normally sleeping in the daytime!

8. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Thanks for that bugs glad to know all is well :D

Andiii don't you dare snitch on me lol :p There was so many people there he wouldn't have noticed :eek:

We went to 'wake up with the zoo' a couple of years ago and would definately recommend it! Although there is so much going on you really need to study the timetable in advance to plan what you are going to. We really enjoyed the elephant training session when we went. And I would recommend the fry up after :D

9. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

It sounds great - will have to be a date next year then when we are members!!

Ohh go on then - I'll keep stum and not tell Rajy, after all, I wouldn't want to upset him by thinking his fav fans are boycotting him!! :)

10. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Just spent two days at the zoo and I saw one Green Anaconda but two Rhinoceros Iguanas :)

11. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Visit to Colchester Zoo on 28th/29th August 2009

I've just had an amazing two days at Colchester Zoo. It has been 6 months since my last visit, so it was lovely to be there in the summer sunshine instead of the winter snow! I spent literally the whole day there on Friday (from opening to closing time) and then another 5 hours yesterday. Both days were absolutely heaving with visitors but that didn't put me off! I won't write a review as such because so many others contribute posts about this zoo, but I will add my own observations instead:

1) I briefly saw the baby chimp Talia on her mother's back
    2) Tumba the chocolate chimp was smearing faeces on the window of the enclosure :(
    3) A keeper confirmed to me that the male red panda had died (but she didn't have any further details as it wasn't her section), just leaving the female Lushan in the enclosure
    4) I saw one of the binturongs in The Heights, lying on one of the rafters with its tongue out
    5) After waiting patiently, I saw a pallas cat running around its enclosure
    6) I didn't see the tamanduas (but didn't expect to)
    7) I only saw one komodo dragon
    8) The new pair of African hunting dogs were halfway down the hill in their enclosure
    9) I didn't see any Philippine spotted deer
    10) Igor and Anoushka the amur tigers were sleeping right by the glass
    11) The extension to the aardvark burrow looks impressive
    12) I only saw two of the elephants - Tanya and Opal (looking rather pregnant now)
    13) I only saw Katavi the cheetah at her display times. When it was Uria's turn, I couldn't see her. What has happened to the male cheetah? He was there in February when I last visited
    14) I saw the spotted hyena and both the striped hyenas
    15) The Wallaby Walkabout was new for me as the mountain goats were still there last time I visited
    16) The African walk through was new for me as well. A poor little girl got caught in the eye by the horn of a rove goat :(
    17) Someone from Jimmy's Farm was there (the farm from the TV) collecting the older Essex pigs as the sow had 11 piglets on Monday 24th August and there isn't room for all of them plus the other pigs. The sow and piglets were separated from the others first, then the ones going to the farm were rounded up onto a trailer (they weren't very happy :(). The new piglets are very cute :)
    18) Unfortunately, due to the high winds, none of the birds of prey displays could happen, but instead birds were brought out as if it was an encounter session
    19) I fell in love with Lloyd the baby Eastern black and white colobus monkey - he is just gorgeous :) I could have watched him all day
    20) I didn't see the baby anteater, only an adult (presumably, Gilberto), but I did see Silva (the previous infant) in the old fossa enclosure
    21) Now that the margays have left the collection (which is a shame), I noticed that a Geoffroy's cat is in the remaining half of their enclosure (the other half having been demolished to make way for the extension to the amur leopard enclosure)
    22) I didn't see the new male amur leopard in his quarantine enclosure at all
    23) The Goeldi's monkeys were free ranging in the Worlds Apart exhibit, whilst the emperor tamarins stayed behind glass
    24) I found the Cuban hutias (in the old meerkat enclosure) fascinating as I have never seen them before
    25) The binturong in the Small Mammals exhibit came out and walked around the enclosure which was fantastic
    26) I saw the baby buffy headed capuchin clinging onto its mum's back
    27) Rajang and Tiga were wonderful to watch. Tiga had his sack on his head at first, but soon removed it to eat his lunch
    28) I went into the South American World walk through exhibit just before it closed at 4:00 so I saw the male sloth climb out of his box and along the ropes back to his indoor quarters

It was lovely to see so many baby animals around the zoo. I fed Tanya the elephant and Century the giraffe which is an amazing experience. There are improvements which have already been made in the last 6 months, and others which are currently happening, so the zoo is constantly evolving. I will definitely go back when the leopard enclosure is finished.

12. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I will definitely go back when the leopard enclosure is finished.[/QUOTE]

I can't wait till I see the new Amur Leopard exhibit!:D:eek:

Is the nature reserve area ready yet?:confused:

Pleased you had a great time mhale.:)

13. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Mhale its really good to see it from someones perspective who doesn't visit as regularly as some of us :D You don't always notice small changes!

Tumba seems to be really 'playing' up since Talia was born, Usually picking fights with the others and smashing up the place :eek:

I just looked in the african walkway and must admit the size of the goats horns put me off going in!!

You certainly packed alot in to your 2 days I must admit we only tend to go round bits of the zoo when we visit!

I can't wait for the winter when we visit the most, due to the lack of crowds :rolleyes: but as long as they are all coming and spending money that can only be a good thing for the zoo

14. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

No, I think the sign said Spring 2010. The boardwalk was taking shape behind the entrance to the Road Train and behind Tiger Taiga. It will be a lovely haven for British wildlife.

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When is the white rhino female due?

Have IZW and Colchester vet already AI-ed the other white rhino female this year (as was envisaged - see comments 2008)? :confused:

16. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

The rhino is due in the next month and yes they have AI-ed the other young female though this proved unsuccessful :(

17. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Here Here KarenZOO!!!!! I've told Rajy he has to reach at least 60 and make it a record seeing as I've only just met him this year!! LOL. :D Roll on Saturday - I can't wait! Hope he's well preened and looking his best ... and not in a grumpy mood again as he was when I shadowed his Keeper!! :rolleyes:

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

19. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Yep, I was told the same, no females until Rajy passes away as it would be far too stressful for him. Rajy is a one off anyway so here's hoping he has many years to come!! :)

20. Andiii

Andiii Well-Known Member

Yep, I was told the same, no females until Rajy passes away as it would be far too stressful for him. Rajy is a one off anyway so here's hoping he has many years to come!! :)