Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo news 2009 #2

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Roz, 9 Aug 2009.

1. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Didnt get to hold it just stroke it lol ummmm it was albino ummmm some sort of boa *hangs head in shame at not knowing* lol hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the colchester club lol

2. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

Oh I knw it's an Albino Burmese Python, and don't worry it won't get you kicked out lol ;)

3. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Wilfy the alpha male wolf at the zoo sadly died last week of old age :(

In his lifetime he fathered many pups at the zoo and will be dearly missed.

4. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Aww thats sad news zooleopard.
    What will this do to the pack dynamics, will the younger males try to take over even tho it is their mother or??? I think they have to many in there but am never sure how many there are lol never see them all at once (not been to the feeding for quite a while)

5. ZooLeopard

Not sure at this moment in time but will try to keep you updated. There were 13 wolves in the pack but a couple of the offspring from either last year or year before have moved.

6. monkeyworld

monkeyworld Well-Known Member

Thats very sad... zooleopard you do keep us informed well :p Do you know what offspring moved out of the collection ? names would be very helpfull thanks...

7. ZooLeopard

Haven't heard anything about which individuals left yet, names etc. Try to email them at some point this week.

8. monkeyworld

Any other colchester zoo news that you now of ?

9. ZooLeopard

Can you remember this. I can, it was all over the gazette in 2000. So funny :)

Colchester: Essex girls on the loose from zoo
    From the archive, first published Friday 24th Mar 2000.

Sharon and Elsie made a break for freedom from Colchester Zoo early yesterday (Thursday).

The two Asiatic water buffaloes broke through an electric fence in their grazing area at the zoo in Maldon Road. But they were soon recaptured by zoo staff.

Zoo curator Anthony Tropeano today said he was called out at 12.30am on Thursday after the pair were spotted between the zoo and Oliver's Orchard on Maldon Road.

Police joined him in a search for the animals, which are the size of small ponies and weigh about one tonne each.

They were recaptured at 3am, when they were just 50 yards from the zoo, and herded back home.

Mr Tropeano said the water buffaloes saw their chance to explore after a section of the electric fence collapsed around the 3.5 acre field they live in. The adventurous pair have been at the zoo for ten years.

Sgt Jon Butcher, of Colchester police, said: "There was a bit of concern that it was a foggy night but no-one was hurt."

Taken from http://www.echo-news.co.uk/

10. monkeyworld

I didn't know the zoo used to keep water buffaloes.. how's intresting... what news u bring us zooleopard thnx ... :p

11. ZooLeopard

Mandrills born last week on friday I think.

12. monkeyworld

I love the mandrills at the zoo,i I could wacth them for ages always up to something...

13. ZooLeopard

not much other news apart from some of the zoos Griffon Vultures were tranferred back in June to CWP.

14. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

Zooleopard: do you know where the Sacred Ibis went and why they took the walkthrough Aviary down near the Vultures?

15. ZooLeopard

water went stagnant, Ibis went somewhere abroad. Going to extend vulture aviary on present site :)

16. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

Thanks, thought it didn't look too nice the last time I was there :eek:
    It's good that they're going to extend the Vulture Aviary ! :D

17. ZooLeopard

Nyala have been released onto Umphafa :)

On Saturday 17th October, thirty nyala were released onto UmPhafa. The group was made up of 29 females and two males and were delivered by Thaba Manzi Wildlife Services; the same translocation company that brought the rhinos to UmPhafa.
    The nyala were released first thing in the morning and have since been seen around the reserve. They appear to have split up, with one male being seen on Monday morning with ten females.
    These nyala will join the single male already living on the reserve. In addition, the week before the release, a sub-adult cow was also seen with the kudu too, so perhaps now she will stay on the reserve and join up with the new group.

Also some new hides have been built on the reserve.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2010
  18. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I know this place is owned by Colchester Zoo but what has this got to do with news within Colchester Zoo?

19. ZooLeopard

just thought it is nice for other zoochatters to hear about colchester's privatly run nature reserve.:D

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well why not create a new thread for it and keep this one for news about Colchester Zoo then!