Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo news 2012

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Badgerman91, 6 Jan 2012.

1. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

As we are now into 2012 i feel it appropriate to start up a new thread...lots of exciting things coming up for the zoo this year and hopefully some breeding successes would also be good!

Let's hope 2012 will be a very memorable year in the zoos history! :)

A snippet of news from the website:

A new male binturong joined the collection on the 15th December 2011, arriving from Artis Zoo in the Netherlands. The new male was born in July 2010, and is named Orson. Orson has arrived in the collection to join our two resident females, Very and Sunti, in the hope that successful breeding will occur within the future.

2. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Orangutans

Rajang and Tiga haven't been mentioned for a while. Does anyone know how they're getting on?

Tiga is 10 now so is 'sub adult'. Is he showing any signs of secondary sexual features (eg cheek flanges, laryngeal pouch, beard & moustache) or are they being suppressed by Rajang's presence?

3. Badgerman91

When i was last at the zoo about a week ago they were both getting along fine...Rajang was in his usual position and Tiga eating as much as he could get his hands on!

He cheek flanges are getting quite impressive and he has certainly got a lot bigger in the last few months. I should imagine soon it will be soon hard to tell the difference between the two if you arent a regular! =P

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

That's interesting. Maybe as a sterilised male Rajang isn't having the same effect on Tiga as a 'full' male might have. Presumably Colchester have plans to breed from him in a Rajang-less future.

The last time I saw Tiga, at Twycross, he was a tiny shape fighting to get out from under a blue sheet! It's hard to imagine him as a big male.

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Thanks for confirming he's arrived.

6. Badgerman91

When i last spoke to the keepers at the zoo they said that when Rajang sadly passes away the future plan is to bring in one or maybe two females and create a breeding group, which will allow them to use the full potential of the exhibit.

Tiga still loves his sheets/blankets to hide under and just peek out of! :p

7. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went with big bunch of family to the zoo (some having never been), it was a very nice visit.

The lemur walk-through is coming along very nicely. The older of the penguin pools has been emptied and drained and with all the penguins in the other pool.

Rajang and Tiga both came across as still getting on well in each others company.

8. Badgerman91

What are they planning to do with that? Or is it just for a proper clean??

9. Badgerman91

Just a snippet of news from the zoo website;

Female Goeldi's monkey Hazel gave birth to a single offspring on 29th December 2011!

The youngster was fathered by male, Willow who was born in June 2006. Hazel arrived in December 2010 from Barcelona on an EEP recommendation to form what has proven to be a successful breeding pair with Willow, and we hope that they continue to breed successfully within the future.

The new born is yet to be sexed and named, but is doing well and being cared for closely by its respective parents. The family can be seen on show in the Worlds Apart exhibit, although it is quite difficult to see the youngster as it blends well into the hair of its parents.

10. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

Had a great visit today. Not really any news I can post, but just wanted to say how much I enjoy my visits to Colchester. It's a good 7 or 8 months since my last visit at least, and Tiga seems to have doubled in size. He's amazing!! One minute he looked just like his dad Batu and the next just like mum Kibriah (complete with the death stare!).

Saw the new baby goeldis monkey - very brighter and alert. AND saw a moving tamandua at 1100 in the morning!! ;)

11. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

We visited last week, for the first time since October and I must say I was shocked how much Tiga had grown!! I agree he definately looks more and more like his dad, but I hope he doesn't become as 'full figured' as his mum :D

We were pleasantly surprised at the dense planting in the tiger enclosure, I assume a lot of the bamboo came from Sasha enclosure? Igor was really enjoying weaving through it and at times you could only guess where he was by the bamboo rippling!!

I said to my partner the Goeldis had, had a baby, he managed to convince me she just had a very hairy back lol :eek: :rolleyes:

They do have a Sale on at the moment (January)BOGOF on experiences, 20% off membership and buy one keeper for the day get one half price
    http://www.colchester-zoo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=content.list&page=445&section=2

They have also been doing cardholder events at the weekend. Has anyone been to one yet? Are they well attended? I did want to go to the one Sunday, the talk by Anthony Tropeano.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2012
  12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

13. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

14. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

15. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

16. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Interesting to pick up the annual attendance - 745,000 is pretty healthy for a zoo that doesn't have a huge conurbation to draw on. This is a zoo, I think, in which Essex takes pride, similar to the obvious regard that Chester feels for its collection.

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. karenZOO

Oh dear that must have been awful but unfortunately unavoidable if flying the birds! I know Sasha (white tiger) would regularly get ducks and pigeons that landed in his enclosure.

On a plus note its lovely to know they still have a killer instinct :D , when there usual food arrives chopped up and hid in the enclosure or up a pole :rolleyes:

19. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Colchester Zoo

Love the comment that keepers should have rescued the owl. As I said to a lady in a pub who asked if I 'went in with the lions' [I was volunteering in a zoo at the time] -- 'Have you SEEN a Lion?'......

20. karenZOO

Just seen this on my local news! Strange story only really made sense at the end where it was stated that the rhinos would no longer be allowed out in the paddock at night and alarms had been fitted to the house!! Up to them I was left wondering if someone might just reach over and nick a horn

Anglia Regional News | Anglia Tonight - ITV Local

Added: I assume thats Troy? (not sure of name hopeless at them lol) at the end beating up a rhino

Last edited: 30 Jan 2012