Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo news 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by banham.tiger, 1 Jan 2016.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Whilst I agree with your comment on the Africa house, the Pygmy Hippo enclosure probably worst in the UK, I find it strange your complaint that there are so many south American & African animals yet mention plenty of highlights that are Asian! There are 2 spider monkey exhibits and 2 squirrel monkey ones which I find irritating (along with about 7 komodo Dragon ones until recently!).
    Other than Twycross or Monkeyworld, (Aspinalls maybe) there's probably nowhere better for primates.
    Despite your criticism you score the zoo 4 out of 5, I'd be interested what zoo other than Chester scores higher than that? For mammals, Whipsnade maybe.
    You almost seem to be complaining the zoo has too many enclosures, I prefer one that doesn't waste space. There's nothing wrong with the rhino mixed enclosure IMO & the elephant accommodation is probably only behind Howletts & Whipsnade

Last edited: 12 Dec 2016
  2. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I did not say that the elephant enclosure was bad, I agree that out of the enclosures I have seen for elephants in the U.K. only Howletts and Whipsnade are ahead.
    As for primates, I again think the enclosures are fantastic for them, but yes, the repeated enclosures (penguins, spider monkeys, squirrel monkeys, Komodo dragons) were irritating to find. That's my main qualm with the zoo, it uses up so much space and lots of it is repeated themes/species. Regardless, I still enjoyed it, just I'm not used to such a condensed zoo so I can't remember as much as I normally would. We'll have to disagree on the rhino enclosure, but I agree wholeheartedly with the hippo enclosure, horrific.
    The 4 is a typo! Meant to say 3! :p

3. pipaluk

So the question still stands! Please give some of us a laugh and say which zoos score higher? I'll accept Chester, maybe Whipsnade but I'll be interested beyond that.....

4. ShonenJake13

I'd rather not have people laugh at me thanks for the offer though pipaluk....but if you must know I would rate Chester, Whipsnade, Marwell, Blijdorp, Burgers' Zoo, Apenheul, Vallée des Singes and Bronx Zoo higher than Colchester.

5. pipaluk

Fair enough with Chester & Whipsnade, I totally disagree on Marwell obviously, but none of the others are in the UK which was what I was referring to, I wasn't saying Colchester was better than Bronx or Rotterdam!!

6. ShonenJake13

Nor did I at any point say I was comparing it to only zoos in the U.K. :p, if I was only listing zoos in the U.K. it would rank near the top, that much is true! :)

7. pipaluk

Fair enough then!

8. ShonenJake13

No worries :) again, I at no point said I completely disliked the zoo. I very much enjoyed it, just some parts were less memorable than others. That could be said for any zoo however.
    IMHO if I was creating a top 10 list of zoos in the UK I would put Chester, Whipsnade, Marwell, London, Bristol, Colchester, Edinburgh, Paignton, Welsh Mountain and Howletts in there, with Port Lympne and Twycross not far behind.

9. pipaluk

My top 10 in no order wouldn't be massively different to yours except that I would remove Marwell & Welsh Mountain for the other 2, I also would place Cotswold, YWP, Dudley & Hamerton, (probably Exmoor) above those! Just my opinion!

10. ShonenJake13

if I'm honest I've never been to Dudley or Cotswold. I've been to Hamerton and it's good for what it is but a tad too small I'm afraid. When it comes to Welsh Mountain I'm more looking at what would be considered the best zoo in Wales, to get an even scope, but there you go.
    Currently my top 10 is based off visitor figures, species conservation, species diversity and exhibit design anyways, there's still a few I have to visit in that list but when I do you can count on me posting an updated version!!

11. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well I cannot disagree with you on that despite not having done Vallée des Singes and Bronx Zoo,I know people that have and they rate them highly,and i trust their views,as for the rest I have visited them all and would have no problem putting them higher than Colchester,which I have to admit has a damn nice collection but the zoo just doesn't do it for me!

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  12. pipaluk

It's strange that a zoo which is so popular with the general public is so regularly panned on zoochat. To an extent I can understand why though, even as an annual passholder, I've only been 4 times this year.
    It is probably the UK zoo which has the most appeal to the general visitor, every species they might expect to see in a zoo, but to the more experienced zoo visitor there is something not quite right about the place. It does have a few relative rarities though.

Very few of the enclosures are really bad, but there aren't many that stand out either.

The zoo is probably aimed too much at the masses, but it's them that keep the zoo going not us.

13. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I LOVE colchester zoo. It ticks all the boxes for me but I understand what you mean about everything being cramped together.

I believe that the pygmy hippo enclosure will be updated soon.

14. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Why on earth are you being so confrontational? You can have a different opinion without ridiculing someone...

15. pipaluk

Sorry, this was just an off the cuff comment which I think was smoothed over afterwards. No point in stirring it up again now!

16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that some of the criticism of Colchester here is unfair; but so is some of the criticism of every other zoo that I have visited and I suspect that the same could be said of every zoo on ZooChat.
    I think part of the problem is Colchester has its own special characteristics - the music, the fake rock, the winding paths, the seemingly random arrangement of species, the rather claustrophobic nature of the site with very few long views and so on. There's nothing wrong with any of these things and you will find them separately in different parts of most other UK zoos, but in Colchester they combine and somehow set the tone of the zoo. You may like it or you may not. I feel that if you consider each exhibit separately and take into account the range of species on show, Colchester is easily in the top half of the Premier League of British zoos - but others may disagree.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2016
    ShonenJake13, FunkyGibbon and pipaluk like this.
  17. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I thought I'd throw in my comments from my first visit last year. Colchester's definitely an odd one but I'm very much in agreement with Pipaluk; for me it's impossible to look past it when discussing the UK's number two zoo.

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

What struck me most about Colchester during my first visit for 12 years in September, was the friendliness and openness of all the staff, from those at the entrance onwards. That, combined with the large range of species, made it a very good day out for me.

19. ShonenJake13

I agree with Alan and FG here, it just wasn't the best zoo I had visited in a while is all!! Still would put it in my top five of UK zoos!