Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Badgerman91, 3 Jan 2018.

1. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

Was looking on the Colchester Councils planning site and noticed that in August 2013 the zoo received planning permission for a South American House to be built on the site which used to house the orangutans and currently the buffy headed capuchins. Does anyone know why this never went ahead?

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Plans and priorities change, at zoos as in all organisations. This development was discussed quite publically at the time, but seemed to be dropped a year or two later. Whether it will be returned to, we will see. It is certainly true that, given the success of the zoo, and its high visitor numbers, new developments are not as frequent as they once were, nor as speedily completed (the chimp development seemed to take forever to be finished).

3. Badgerman91

Definitely noted that the latest developments seem to be drawn out processes such as orang forest and with the chimp complex the elevated viewing area still not open. The zoo seems to have shifted focus from exhibits to other developments such as the “Mini Zoo” children area and the restaurants.

The zoo haven’t been very forthcoming with any future plans even with the ongoing Lion Rock redevelopment there is no details and also the building work going on next to the Chimp complex/ Amur Leopards. Would be nice to know what we got to look forward to in the short term and long term!

4. Badgerman91

Orinoco the young Tamandua has been confirmed as a female by keepers today!

"It's a girl! After been named 'Orinoco' just a short time ago by her keepers we can now confirm that our young tamandua is a female! See if you can spot her along with mum Ruth and dad Oreo in their enclosure at Worlds Apart!"

14556 likes this.
  5. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Badgerman91 likes this.
  6. Badgerman91

On a visit today;
    -The “Heart of Amazon” building was closed with a sign up stating a recent birth had taken place but no more information
    -The female Cherry Crowned Mangabey had a baby clinging to her chest and the baby looked active.
    -The outdoor Patas monkey and access to the outdoor Pygmy hippo pool & Vultures was closed off to public so not sure what is happening.
    -Slow progress being made on the lion rock redevelopment. Still no information been made available either on zoos website or via signage at the zoo.

7. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Heart of the Amazon is the Squirrel Monkey right? Plus a single Komodo Dragon?

8. Badgerman91

My bet is on the Bearded Saki Monkeys!

9. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not seen it mentioned previously, but I have just seen a very young Visayan Spotted Deer out in the paddock with the 4 adults

10. DesertRhino150

Fantastic news!

I'm assuming the warty pigs were separated from the deer with this new arrival around - I certainly hope they are.

11. Badgerman91

The zoo seem very slow in announcing births lately!

12. pipaluk

Yes it appeared the pigs were shut away.

Another thing I noticed today, is that there is a smallish mammal currently living in the old Scarlet Ibis indoor area. I only saw the rear end disappearing into an average sized cat carrying box, so wouldn't like to guess what it is, but maybe someone else will get a better view!

DesertRhino150 and Badgerman91 like this.
  13. Badgerman91

Let’s hope for a small cat species! That whole enclosure would be perfect for one!

14. pipaluk

I agree, it would make an excellent small cat exhibit and it has a second adjoining enclosure (previously Tamarins).
    I didn't see any sign of spots or stripes though, it appeared to be a darkish brown or black, but I only saw it for a split second.

15. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Maybe it could be a Jaguarundi, perhaps? :)

16. DesertRhino150

I should be going next Tuesday - I'll make sure to check it out and report back on my findings.

Also, did you see any indication of what the recent birth in the Heart of the Amazon exhibit mentioned earlier in the thread was?

pipaluk likes this.
  17. DesertRhino150

Another piece of news that was briefly reported here on Zoochat last December but has only been officially announced now:

On 22nd November 2017, a new maneless zebra stallion named Ziggy arrived from Denmark. He is four years old and in the future is hoped to become a breeding male.

More information from the zoo's website below:
    Male Zebra joins the herd at Kingdom of the Wild! - ZOO NEWS - Colchester Zoo

pipaluk, Kifaru Bwana and Badgerman91 like this.
  18. pipaluk

No, sorry. The area was still closed off and the Saki & Squirrel Monkeys were all inside

DesertRhino150 likes this.
  19. DesertRhino150

Hopefully by Tuesday there can be some sort of answer provided.

Also, just noticed on the 2018 Zoochat Challenge you mentioned seeing the Asian palm civet - was it in one of the animal performances and if so at which time was it?

20. pipaluk

Hopefully you will have answers to both mysteries after Tuesday!

Yes, the Civet was in the animal performance at 12noon, I watched the 2pm too but it wasn’t in that, the Coati was instead !

DesertRhino150 likes this.