Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Badgerman91, 3 Jan 2018.

1. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

I believe they both went to Port Lympne.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Ok, at the zoo after hellish journey and here with most of the population of the world - southern tamamdua - need to see this but it is notvisible at the moment - any suggestions? Betterto watch indoor or outdoor area and chance of it coming out?

Found ot curledup asleepin corner - is it likely to get active at any point?

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Aug 2018
  3. Badgerman91

Best chance of seeing them is in the late afternoon (unless you want to see them asleep). As you go out of the final doors of the walkthrough part turn right and look through the two windows there that’s where I normally get lucky and see them!

Enjoy your visit!

4. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd say 4pm onwards. Last time we went we saw him outside.

5. BeakerUK

Blimey, now I know what people mean when they talk about how many dead ends and things there are here!

Crowthorne and gentle lemur like this.
  6. BeakerUK

So zootierliste says there are blue duiker, greater kudu and black backed jackal here - is this right and if so, where on earth are they?

7. Badgerman91

Black Backed Jackal are only visible of lost Madagascar train, however were very elderly so may have died

Greater Kudu are in the paddock with giraffe and rhino...there were 0:2 on my last visit

Blue duiker are in the edge of Africa area opposite the mandrill enclosure.

BeakerUK likes this.
  8. Badgerman91

9. BeakerUK

I hate being a teacher and having to go places in school holidays. I am not good with crowds at the best of times and it was predictably insane there today. I saw the tamandua asleep but did not have the energy to stay until later. Didn't go on the train as the queue was... off putting! But thanks to the comments here, I did see the blue duiker and greater kudu. Enjoyed the spotted hyenas (They were much chunkier than I thought they would be) though there was one of many experiences going on, so they stayed at the back of the enclosure. Furious I missed the Patas monkeys as they are favourites of mine.

I thought most of the enclosures were lovely, though viewing on some was frustrating (see aforementioned comments about crowds!) and I must have walked ten times as far as I needed back tracking on myself, going the wrong way and getting lost. I wasn't the only one - There were some very terse parents "but the sign says THAT way....".

I liked the range of animals as well, but even if I lived closer (NEVER driving over here again, argh!) I doubt I would go again because I can only ever go at busy times. I swear every other person had a pushchair!

Africa Alive and Thrigby Hall tomorrow, Banham the day after :)

10. Badgerman91

I think it must be the same for most collections that the 6 week summer holidays are extremely busy...it doesn’t help that there aren’t many other large zoos in the geographical area.

I have found that half terms tend to be slightly quieter at Colchester for future reference.

Glad you had a enjoyable if not slightly navigating-ly challenging day!

11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Please ask if the young Leopards get out into the main enclosure :) When I was there recently, they still seemed very nervous and barely stuck a nose outside the house.

BeakerUK likes this.
  12. 14556

14556 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited today despite the throngs of toddlers. Thought I'd write a few points but feel free to ask questions .

- both black backed jackals have died
    - building work by the top of the car park is for an extension to the entrance building
    - patas and colobus monkeys will share when their enclosure is finished but currently eat separately due to squabbling
    - outdoor patas area is closed but vultures / hippo outdoors open
    - spotted baby hyraxes in Edge of Africa (perhaps other members of the group will go to the aardvark?)
    - saw binturong and short clawed otters and they were all very active
    - young pygmy hippo also active

13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Port Lympne

14. Badgerman91

Any progress update on the Lion enclosure development?

15. BeakerUK

Well I am not going to beat myself up for missing them the other day then, as they weren't even there!

Brum and Badgerman91 like this.
  16. 14556

14556 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's still very much under construction as the windows still haven't been put in place but hopefully not long to go

Badgerman91 likes this.
  17. Badgerman91

On a recent visit I noticed a few empty enclosures earmarked for development work and wondered if any one could enlighten me on what is planned?

-The old Scarlett Ibis Avairy
    -The old Golden Headed Tamarin enclosure (next to Penguin Shores)
    -The old juvenile Komodo dragon enclosure (inside Heart of AmaZon)
    -The enclosures on the left hand side of the Kingdom of the Wild building

18. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went for a brief couple of hour visit today. These are the things that I noticed while there:

Species Arrivals and Departures
    - The coral reef aquarium in Orangutan Forest now has peppermint shrimp Lysmata wurdemanni signed, which is a new species for the collection. They did remain unseen by me however.

Births

- Saw three baby rock hyraxes in the smaller cage behind one of the hyrax hutches in the monkey/hyrax mixed exhibit. Not sure if they have recently come to the collection or were born there and are being kept separate from the monkeys. If it is the latter case, I would wonder when female hyrax arrived (I believe the group consists of four males) and whether they are also of the Syrian subspecies.

General Observations

- It was extremely busy on arrival so all cars were being directed in another way. This did mean I saw two reindeer (both with extremely magnificent antlers); they seem to be living in a small paddock next to the overflow car park.

Badgerman91 and britishzoofan like this.
  19. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Badgerman91 and FunkyGibbon like this.
  20. Badgerman91

Gelada baboon was born on 18th August

Kifaru Bwana and DesertRhino150 like this.