Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Badgerman91, 3 Jan 2018.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Rather a sorry state of affairs, although it's quite nice to see a major zoo without capybara, agouti and mara :D

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Depends on the agouti and/or mara species in question ;)

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not really. Bit like having almost no birds. When I think of the obscure small mammals I first saw @ Colchester Zoo in the 60s.......

4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

On a recent visit to the (very dull) Cromer Zoo, it struck me just how beautiful Mara are. And Capybara on a big lake? Fantastic!

5. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

Unsure if already mentioned but on a Facebook comment from the zoo Cedric the Male Kudu sadly died on 13th June due to ongoing health issues.

6. Badgerman91

Can anyone confirm if they have seen the female pileated gibbons as my last two visits the indoor part of their enclosure was barriered off and I could only see the Male,

7. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm pretty sure my wife saw the female on her visit two weekends ago, will double check and will confirm.

Badgerman91 likes this.
  8. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The wife said there was no barrier during the day on 29th September, but they put a barrier up around 5pm before the evening event kicked off. But both gibbons were there and she said she saw them grooming and being attentive to each other which is something we don't normally see with them.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. willtalbut

willtalbut Member

Not sure if anyone else has heard anything about this, but my fiance called up to try & get me a sponsorship of Tembo the elephant and she was told that sponsorships aren't available for him at the moment. This is because they plan to move Tembo to a breeding programme at some point in the next 6 months, or have another elephant come to Colchester Zoo to breed with Tembo. So make the most of seeing Tembo while you can :(

Last edited: 11 Oct 2018
  10. Badgerman91

As they don’t like to move single cows I would imagine that sadly Tembo will be moving on and a older or younger male who is no longer breeding or to young to breed will come in.

Such a shame that a zoo with good holding facilities got elephants haven’t had much luck with breeding them and the two calves they had in the early 2000s were Male so were moved on!

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

That's interesting and possibly thickens the plot I revealed after a visit to Dublin last month - their bull, Upali, is due to move to 'Europe or the UK'. Blackpool (not far from Dublin or Colchester) is expecting the arrival of a bull at some point.

12. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Highly unlikely Upali will to move to Colchester for simple reason of mixed species i.e.; African & Asian. Would expect Upali to move to Blackpool. Are all Colchester's females able to breed ?

13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Ah - forgot about that! :oops:

Rajang-GOAT and FunkyGibbon like this.
  14. Badgerman91

They are all older females but the zoo has publicity states they hope to breed again in the future as all of the females are under represented in the population and genetically important. The last pregnancy which sadly didn’t end in a successful birth was back in 2010.

I am assuming that elephant moves (especially males) it takes a lot of planning and then it all has to be done swiftly when dates agreed.

Zola (wild) 1982
    Opal (wild) 1982
    Tanya (wild) 1981

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Oct 2018
  15. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Given Blackpool haven't completed their Bull Paddock yet and are some way off completing it, I can't see the Bull from Dublin going to Blackpool if it's on the move fairly soon. Blackpool are probably a good year from having a Bull, as other renovations are being done (Reptile House, Camel House, Old Elephant House) before they start on the Bull paddock.

16. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

I wonder what elephants or elephant will be arriving at Colchester in the next 6 months? I hope it's a few younger females and a bull!

17. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Would the females be classed as old in terms of age at Colchester.

Aren't Blair Drummond looking for a couple of elderly African Elephants to join their retirement female ?

18. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

I really don't know but even if they could breed with Zola for example. I wouldn't bother as she has a horrendous record of delivering stillborn or misscarrying her calves. Another reason for Zola not to breed is that according to a documentary called Zoodays presented by the ex BluePeter presenter Konnie Huq,Zola hated juvenile elephants,and had nightmares/flashbacks about her mum being poached in Africa. Due to all these points I've raised I think Zola could be the perfect candidate to join Mondula at Blair Drummond Safari Park! Also to answer your question Zooreviwsuk the other elephants in my opinion could go to Blair Drummond as they've been residing at Colchester for twenty plus years and haven't had any offspring for the last thirteen or fourteen years.

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sending the non reproductive group to BD is the last thing one should do. By sending away bull Tembo they even signal none of that is on the cards. Aside, I would wish BD might eventually get a breeding group.

20. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Badgerman91 likes this.