Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Badgerman91, 3 Jan 2018.

1. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

You didn’t happen to notice if the Coloubus/Patas monkey enclosure was competed yet?

2. 4ways NAP

4ways NAP Well-Known Member

Still building working going on i don't think they will be moving in until they have finished the lions part. But work has started next to the pygmy hippos the large tank has been removed and the floor has been raised so you can no longer go over bridge to view colobus and patas outside might be getting ready for the hippos re-development once they move to new enclourse

Azubaa and Badgerman91 like this.
  3. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A couple of pieces of news from the Colchester Zoo website:

- The Philippine spotted deer fawn has been sexed; it is a male and has been named Cosmos.
    Our Philippine spotted deer calf has been named! - ZOO NEWS - Colchester Zoo

- News has been announced about the future arrival of the new Amur leopard pair. The male (named Crispin) will be coming from the Czech Republic while the female (Esra) will be coming from Belgium. The current pair of leopards will be moving to a new zoo together in hopes that a new setting will allow the female (Milena) to settle down and hopefully breed with the male (Sayan). In the interim between the departure of the current leopards and arrival of the new ones, some changes will be made to the enclosure including an area of mesh so the leopards can see each other before they are introduced to one another.
    New Amur leopards arriving soon! - ZOO NEWS - Colchester Zoo

Badgerman91 likes this.
  4. Badgerman91

Any idea where Sayan and Milena will be going? And what zoos will the new Leopards be coming from?

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Esra was born at Bellewaerde. I *think* Crispin is from Olomouc but might be wrong

6. Badgerman91

Are they young Leopards or would they already be at breeding age?

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Esra was born 21st May 2016

Olomouc had a male cub born in Autumn 2016. I think this is Crispin but can't find confirmation

8. Badgerman91

Sad to see the current two move on but hopefully a change of environment might produce cubs in the future!

Glad the zoo has managed to obtain another breeding pair! Speaking of Leopards...the previous Male they had who proved to be in fertile (I believe) was kept in the old bear enclosure near the sealions these have since been boarded up does anyone know if the zoo plans to do anything with these in the future?

9. 14556

14556 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lemur Baby Boom! - ZOO NEWS - Colchester Zoo

We’re delighted to announce that we have recently welcomed a number of ring-tailed lemur babies! Mums Madison and Andro gave birth on 3rd April each welcoming a single offspring, followed by mum Lexi who gave birth on 4th April to twins. Our male in the group Anakin, is father to all of our recent arrivals and all 3 mums are being very attentive.

The young lemurs will cling to their mum’s underside at first, but after just a few weeks they move around to ride on their mum’s back, and it won’t be before they begin to explore their surroundings.

The births of our ring tailed Lemurs are very important to our breeding program as they are currently listed as Endangered (EN) on the IUCN Red List.

Badgerman91 likes this.
  10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I enjoyed a visit yesterday, my first for nearly 8 years. I think the zoo looks better now, and I noticed that most of the irritating piped music has been silenced. However they seem to be piping in birdsong instead - I think that is a sorry state for a zoo to be in. I know that Colchester has always concentrated on mammals, but the only birds that I heard were the rhinoceros hornbill (is it a singleton?), one of the cranes and the lorikeets of course. I wish the lorikeets and the weaver birds had outdoor aviaries and that the zoo could fnd space for a few more birds to add some sound and colour. Even the mammals were quiet, with the notable exceptions of the male mangabey and one of the lionesses.
    I liked the sunbear hillside (although I didn't see the bears doing much) and the smooth otter pools, which were new to me although I know they are not brand new. I didn't see the chimps doing much either, as it was another hot day; I wish I had seen them in their new tower. Rajang and Tiga both looked well and it was a real pleasure to see Tembo properly from the new path. The wolf viewing area was closed with a sign saying that a new pack of European wolves are settling in - I glimpsed 2 keepers in the enclosure with brooms and shields, I think they were checking on something. I saw the pygmy hippo calf but the baby aardvark was off-show. I was pleased to watch the Saturday target training and feed for the slender-snouted croc, which gave me nice photo opportunities and I was pleased to get photos of most of my other targets including Tembo, the hyaenas, the fennecs and one of the rufous hornbills.
    But the main attractions for me were the sakis. The baby is doing well and I was surprised to see the parents mating again (four times in the later part of the afternoon :rolleyes:). As the afternoon wore on they became increasingly active, strutting along horizontal branches, playfighting and jumping over each other. I hope my photos show some of the excitement - I'll try to post a few next week.
    I have to end on a critical note - why do Colchester still sell helium-filled balloon animals? They have a lot of cash generating activities at the zoo with so many catering outlets and vending points, including at least one selling very long air-filled balloons. The helium-filled ballons are quite expensive (I think the girl selling them said 2 for £7) but the helium diffuses out after a few days and then eventually escapes from the atmosphere because helium atoms are so light that the Earth's gravity cannot hold them. Helium is a rare and non-renewable mineral resource which has several very important uses: it should not be frittered away by an organisation which is supposed to support conservation.

Brum, TNT, Badgerman91 and 3 others like this.
  11. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Amur Leopards Milena and Sayan left last week.

The new leopards will arrive any day now.

12. Badgerman91

Any idea on when the two new Leopards will arrive?

13. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

There are recent Bush Dog pups photographs on facebook

Last edited: 2 May 2018
  14. Badgerman91

Whereabouts on their Facebook page? I’ve looked under the zoos post and visitor post and can’t find them...help?!?

15. Tankyboi

Tankyboi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know the photographer who took them

Sayan and melina are now in port lympne

Badgerman91 likes this.
  16. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

they're in the visitor posts from ihmphotography

Badgerman91 likes this.
  17. Badgerman91

Found them!
    Looks as though there is two pups

I am surprised they kept Sayan and Melina together...as I thought he was petrified of her and wouldn’t go near her when they attempted to mix them?

18. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just wanted to confirm that indeed, 2016 male leopard cub in Olomouc is named Kryšpín.

19. Tankyboi

Tankyboi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

New Amur leopard male has arrived and starting to settle nicely video on there Facebook page

20. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wonder if the changes to the enclosures that were planned have been made yet (I know that an area of mesh was to be included so the animals could familiarise themselves with each other prior to mating attempts). If not, I wonder when they will be able to make those new additions.