Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 1 Jan 2019.

1. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Good way to start the new year.

Colchester from the 5th to the 31st January is only £10 admission if you buy your tickets online. Good incentive for a visit.

Badgerman91 and pipaluk like this.
  2. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

3. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The obligatory 'annual animal count' news piece has been released by Colchester Zoo today. While most of it is fairly standard for this type of news item, there are some things I think may be of interest pertaining to the numbers of different species:

- 72 species of mammals were recorded; I have mentally noted 64 species on-show permanently, plus another 6 that appear only in shows or handling demonstrations
    - 39 species of birds were recorded; there must be an awful lot off-show as only 18-20 were on-show on my last visit (depending on whether the rufous hornbills are listed as split or lumped species and the status of the domestic fantail doves, which I must admit I don't actively seek out)
    - 33 species of reptiles were recorded; I have 30-31 species recorded as on-show as of my last visit (depending on whether the red-eared sliders in the lake are zoo animals or feral)
    - 8 species of amphibians were recorded; off the top of my head there are either 6 or 7 species on-show (depending on the status of the Trinidad stream frogs, which I haven't seen for a long time but are still signed)

The full article is included below:
    The big count! - ZOO NEWS - Colchester Zoo

Jambo, Badgerman91 and snowleopard like this.
  4. katiesloth

katiesloth Member

5. DesertRhino150

Last edited: 12 Jan 2019
    14556, Jambo and Tim May like this.
  6. Zooreviewsuk

Do you mean 2018 ? Otherwise that's a pretty late announcement lol

Brum and DesertRhino150 like this.
  7. DesertRhino150

I did indeed mean 2018 - edited the original post now.

8. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A keeper mentioned yesterday they have had another dik-dik birth recently, but I didn't manage to see it.

9. Zooreviewsuk

They are also hoping for Cheetah cubs from Sia. She has been seen mating with her partner, so they are hopeful, that they will breed successfully.

Sadly down to one Warthog, as the female has passed away.

Also they reckon one of the Rhino's may be pregnant.

10. Zooreviewsuk

Okay I was back today at Colchester doing a VIP experience and having read a few reports on the 2018 pages I took the opportunity to ask the keepers what some people had intimated in sort of rumours.

I will start with the Elephants.

Tembo IS NOT leaving Colchester and not leaving anytime soon if the collection has their way. He has for the last few months had a tooth abscess which is flushed every other day and has caused him problems. During the last couple of years his sperm count has dropped and there are fears he may not be able to sire Calves. HOWEVER it is believed that the tooth issue he has had could be a huge underlying factor in this case and he is due to have serious root canal treatment from the dentist and vets soon. Once this has been sorted out it is VERY MUCH HOPED his sperm levels will INCREASE so he would be able to sire offspring. This however MAY TAKE SOME TIME! Tembo will remain at Colchester for the foreseeable future and it is hoped he will be able to sire Calves. IF A TIME COMES that after all options covered (Tembo currently gets treats of food to help boost sperm levels) that Tembo can't produce calves the Zoo will seek for a bachelor home for Tembo but this is very much LAST RESORT.

At present the other three females are mixed outside with Zola, Opal and Tanya all out together. During experiences only Opal and Tanya are allowed on the feeding island to meet people as these two are free contact elephants. Zola is rather aggressive but she is the lowest rank of the three cows, so Tanya and Opal put her in her place. Tembo and Zola are both PC Elephants and the keepers have zero contact with them.

Tembo's pool is empty because when his shelter was created the workmen cracked the pipe which leads to the pool. This has now been repaired but they haven't filled the pool yet.

Whilst Tembo being a father isn't likely to be any time soon, the Zoo is fully aware they have three ageing elephants which they are keen to breed from. A former Elephant called Jambo left the collection ten years ago and they are considering obtaining his sperm to breed from either Tanya or Opal via AI. It is unlikely they could get him back to the collection but as he is unrelated to the three cows, they would consider using his sperm to breed with the two cows whilst Tembo is recovering from his Tooth operation, and the Zoo trying to get him into a fertile position to remain the Zoo's Bull. But he is 100% not leaving anytime soon and it is not in the plans for him to move on at present.

The Eurasian Grey Wolves came from Wingham last year. They are three sisters, if the Zoo can get a male wolf with the potential to breed, two of the sisters would need to be moved on. This is not in the immediate plans of the Zoo, but is being considered.

In regards to the tigers. Taiga and Igor are planning to be mated to produced cubs and they are hoping to breed with Taiga in the near future as she is starting to get towards sexual maturity age. Anoushka is spade and is a hybrid. Even when they mate Igor and Taiga, Igor will remain with Anoushka and Taiga will remain by herself.

There are 3 little bush dog pups. These are the second batch to have been born to the same mother, and are 2 and a half weeks old. They are not leaving the house at all yet, but they expect them to start venturing out in the next 2/3 weeks. This brings the collection up to 8 bush dogs.

Work will start on the Pygmy Hippos in the next 2 months. In around 6-9 months the 1yo female Pygmy Hippo will probably leave the collection as their inside quarters is only really big enough to house 2 Pygmy Hippos and the mother will tend to ween off the young around 18 months.

The Giant Anteaters are no longer breeding and have no contact with each other. The female is 13 now and has had three sets of young. They dont want to breed from her in future and she is not on an implant or anything so doesn't mix with the male as they are active breeders.

Something quite exciting is yesterday vets were in doing a number of tests on the Sun Bears. They have done tests on the bears fertility and so on, as they are hoping to breed with the pair and they have seen mating behaviour but so far to no success so they have taking tests to make sure both bears are able to breed. If everything comes back fine, they are hopeful the pair will breed and produce a cub, but so far any mating behaviour has not led to cubs, so they wanted to run some tests on both Sun Bears to make sure they are capable of breeding together.

A couple of people have noticed the Tamandua in the Rainforest Section is now a single. The collection still holds all three Tamandua's but the female and her young are kept off show. I was not told why, but they said that the one on show is the male, but all three are still in the collection and it is something under exhibit review, but the female and young are fine and healthy and just offshow at present.

11. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

Nice report and it’s nice to actually get some confirmation of all the questions/rumours that have been going on at the zoo.

Fingers crossed for a positive future for the elephants and some more calves (preferably female) to create a family dynamic like at Chester with their multi generational family.

Did they say when they would know for certain about the sun bears? Have they only recently been seen mating?

Did any of the keepers mention any future plans for development work as I can’t see where the zoo could develop or what species they would look to add to the collection?

12. Zooreviewsuk

Badgerman91, I didn’t ask re Sun Bears but next time I am there I will endeavour to find out for you, as doing another VIP experience next month there.

There are no development plans bar the obvious. There is currently a big empty exhibit at the zoo and there is a planned addition to the collection in this space but the keeper couldn’t pass on the information of what it is although keepers do know and they are doing exhibit research on the animal in question.

13. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

By ‘big empty exhibit’, I am going to assume this means one of the following:
    A) the old ‘bear dens’ Between the sealions and the Inca Trail area.
    B) though not strictly empty, the Binturong/ Short Clawed Otter enclosure (a rather large enclosure for these species that could probably be put to better use).

I can’t think of any other areas that I would class as empty!

Slightly changing the subject, has anyone heard anything recently regarding the new Tropical House that was due to be built on the site of the old Orangutan enclosure? Initial information about this was posted on the Colchester website about 10years ago, however it seems other developments (rightly so) took precedent.

14. Zooreviewsuk

15. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Excellent news regarding the female and young Tamandua, I had feared the worst after seeing mother and baby then just the one on my last few visits !

I am very surprised by the elephants ' potential breeding though, I and others had assumed all females had no hope of producing further calves! I also didn't realise that Tembo was a new bull, I thought he had been there a lot more than 10 years

Brum likes this.
  16. pipaluk

I think it's a safe bet this won't be happening ! Shortly after these plans were released , the sun bears and gibbons arrived from RSCC to fill that area and building them adequate homes became a priority. Even though it took several years

17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

@Zooreviewsuk - do they have plans to bring in orangutan female/s now for Tiga?

18. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I think "Tembo" arrived at Colchester in 1998 so has been there a lot longer then ten years.

pipaluk likes this.
  19. pipaluk

Thanks, that's what I thought , he was the father of the 2 calves born in the new house, which opened 2000 I think

20. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

And I think one of these calves is the "Jambo" mentioned in the post by "Zooreviewsuk".

pipaluk likes this.