Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 1 Jan 2019.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Judging from facebook photos, it looks like the tigers have swapped sides now, with the cubs and mum in the larger area.

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

The tigers are alternating between the two enclosures; today, the cubs were in the smaller side.
    The leopard cubs were out and very active several times throughout the day; very, very cute.

While standing at the window of the upper viewing over the sun bears, there was a sudden thud beside me, when a starling and a sparrowhawk crashed into it. They were both at my feet for a few seconds, obviously dazed, before the hawk flew off. I carried the starling out into a bush. Who needs the flying display?

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. gabryatfendor

gabryatfendor Well-Known Member

Is Astrid the other Rhino female still there?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No reason why she should not be. Astrid was born 2013, so only just maturing.

6. 4ways NAP

4ways NAP Well-Known Member

The zoo have confirmed that the leopard cubs are 1 male and 1 female. The female is called 'Lena' and the male is named 'Luka'

7. 4ways NAP

the 4 male reindeer are back on display behind the old church in the off-show paddock which has been opened for Christmas via a narrow path down the side of the outdoor orang-utan enclosure.

New female rhino is still being kept inside. she can be viewed from the slope windows inside in the back pen which use to be flossys bed.

Two new cast bronze statues have been put in one for flossy and another for Rajang

pipaluk and Badgerman91 like this.
  8. 4ways NAP

Binta is slowly being introduced to the other rhinos she was out in the paddock for a while Saturday with Astrid then was brought back inside.

Finally saw the female Fiji banded iguana in with the male.

Tiger cubs are growing fast and look like mini versions of mum and dad.

Patas monkey and Barbary macaque have been mixed together.

Benobo88 likes this.
  9. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Colchester Zoo posted a review of the year on their website. I figured I would put it up and include some further information gleaned from this thread.

Births
    - An aardvark and several rock hyraxes represented Afrotheria births this year
    - Primates had a very good breeding year, with births from the mandrill, gelada, L'Hoest's guenon, red-backed bearded saki, coppery titi (a first breeding for Colchester), squirrel monkey and ring-tailed lemur
    - The carnivores also had a good breeding year, with three Amur tigers, two Amur leopards, two red pandas, two bush dogs and two smooth-coated otters born
    - Ungulate births were represented by red river hogs (whose father was a new addition to the breeding programme from America), a blue duiker and a Kirk's dik-dik
    - Among the birds that bred were grey crowned cranes, rainbow lorikeets, a Victoria crowned pigeon and Humboldt penguins

New species
    - The main new arrival was a group of Barbary macaques
    - Other new species that arrived this year that didn't receive a mention in the official review are Fiji banded iguana and at least six species of fish (rainbow sharkminnow, rosy barb, Denison's barb, Taiwan bitterling and two species of Lake Victoria cichlid)
    - Species labelled as arriving that I have yet to see include the Cuvier's Madagascar swift and African banded barb

Deaths and departures
    - This year saw the deaths of, among other animals, 'Pippin' the chimpanzee, 'Fatgut' the Colombian black spider monkey, 'Juno' the pygmy hippopotamus calf and 'Meg' the shire horse
    - Also, this year saw the departure of the Mount Kilimanjaro colobus monkeys from the Colchester collection

The official review is included here:
    A time for reflection… | Colchester Zoo

Kifaru Bwana and kiang like this.
  10. Benobo88

Benobo88 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited yesterday & can definitely recall seeing a small shoal of the African banded barb in the new aquarium by the hippos. The aquarium also listed African lungfish but this wasn’t to be seen. The zoo was very busy yesterday too - the online offer of £10 entry seems to be working well for them.

DesertRhino150 likes this.
  11. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On the 30th December, Colchester Zoo released news about the animal count for the coming year. They released news about this in early January 2019, so I will compare the species counts.

Mammals - 70 species; net loss of 2 species from January 2019
    Birds - 24 species; net loss of 15 species from January 2019
    Reptiles - 32 species; net loss of 1 species from January 2019
    Amphibians - 8 species; unchanged from January 2019
    Fishes - 60 species; number not released in January 2019
    Invertebrates - 28 species; number not released in January 2019

The news article about the new count is included here:
    Annual Count 2019 | Colchester Zoo

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not very impressive then! I appreciate the reason the bird number has declined, but don't approve of the decision to get rid of the display area!

13. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

There has been quite the focus on visitor attractions over the past couple of years (restaurant upgrades, new children play areas, sensory zone, the high ropes proposed development, the new entrance, etc) I understand the need to keep up with other attractions so some of this was required but this sadly seems to have affected the overall collection- I can’t see where the next “big”animal redevelopment would be?

Rajang-GOAT and pipaluk like this.
  14. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Odd - the UK Forum page shows this thread as having 11 pages and the last post 30 minutes ago but when I click on it the last post is page 10 / 2 days ago. Anyone else having issues or is it just that posts have been removed or something?

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I cannot see the issue myself, but it may be related to the fact we've moved the recent elephant discussion/speculation into a distinct thread.

Zia and Elephantelephant like this.
  16. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Ahhh - I think the forum page just took a while to update as it all looks normal now for me too.

FunkyGibbon likes this.