Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 1 Jan 2019.

1. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Not in the immediate future but possibly long term.

Gigit likes this.
  2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tembo came to Colchester as a result of the Chipperfield Cruelty case. He has been there a lot longer than ten years, I count 20. And yes, Jambo was is/one of the calves he sired.

3. Pertinax

If they delay it too long they'll get complaints about a 'lonely' Orangutan.

pipaluk likes this.
  4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

You'd think that tentative plans would had been made before dear old Rajang's death as it was inevitable eventually. Why wait?

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  5. Zooreviewsuk

I think it's more likely that they would let Tiga get over Rajang's death before they introduced another Orang. Given males are solitary in the wild I doubt there is a real issue about him being on his own.

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  6. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went for a long visit today to renew my membership card. These are the things of particular note that I saw:

Species Arrivals, Departures and Movements
    - A bony-headed toad from Orangutan Forest is now in the Discovery Centre, replacing the sun beetles and tailless whip-scorpions, which have moved into the old Macleay's spectre tank which have in turn moved into the old Madagascar tree boa tank
    - There have been quite a few changes to the aquarium in wilds of Asia: the clown loach, tinfoil barb and spotted archerfish remain in the collection, the green-spotted scat is absent and its signage has been removed, the tiger barb Puntigrus tetrazona have moved over from the slender-snouted crocodile pool and they have been joined by two species new to the collection - rosy barb Pethia conchonius and red-lined torpedo barb Sahyadria denisonii

Developments
    - Went in to see how development has progressed on the new terrarium in the elephant house; it is much bigger than I first anticipated it being. It will be interesting to see what ends up moving in there

General Observations
    - Went to see the 2:00pm animal demonstration - included in the show at that time were (in order) a serval, a Eurasian buzzard, an Asian brown wood owl, an Asian palm civet, two striped skunks and a ring-tailed coati
    - Didn't realise it before, but it seems the binturong now have full access to the trees in their enclosure; I definitely remember at least some of them being hotwired a while back
    - Saw the African wild dogs mounting and attempting to mate; the female seemed decidedly uninterested and just kept eating throughout the proceedings

Last edited: 18 Jan 2019
    Kifaru Bwana and Brum like this.
  7. Pertinax

As you say, males are solitary in the wild so I see no reason Tiga would miss Rajang (they had not been kept together for a long time since Tiga became adult) My point was more that visitors do not like to see single Apes in zoos, however mistaken they might be in assuming any 'loneliness' factor. Critisism is what zoos like to avoid.

Brum, pipaluk and Gigit like this.
  8. Pertinax

Without having to look outside the UK, Blackpool with currently non-breeding female Orangutans might be one obvious source of a female for Colchester, namely either(or both) of the sisters Cherie and Summer, which have not bred with their own male Ramon. Monkeyworld might be another source though I'm a bit confused about their policy when it comes to letting any of their(own) Orangutans go to another zoo. It seems to have changed rather with the ones that went to Spain(?)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Zooreviewsuk

I thought the whole point of Blackpool bringing in a female Orang last year was to breed with Ramon ??

10. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It is hoped that Ramon will breed with either Jingga, Summer or Cherie, but he is still yet to prove himself as a breeding male which with time, shall hopefully come along, especially due to how genetically important he is!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

My thought on this is the African Rock Python to allow for the Pygmy Hippo enclosure expansion.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

Is the hippo extension going to take over the entire of the bottom floor down the slope?

13. Zooreviewsuk

Hippos will be extended into the housing section the Monkeys used to have. Their housing will stay in the same place, and will be two bigger exhibits indoors and to outdoors. The Rock Python wont be affected.

Kifaru Bwana and Badgerman91 like this.
  14. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

The new reptile enclosure is for the tree boas and tortoises from the giraffe house.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Pertinax

Ramon should have bred with Cherie/Summer long before now...I think there is some problem. As you know males can be fertile as young as six/eight and he is now 20... several reasons are possible for the failure to date... he was a very weak baby who was handraised and that may have had some negative effect perhaps. Also he was added to the group as the youngest member and so may be psychologically dominated by the older females(possibly) I don't know if he mates the females, but he might breed with Jingga as she is a new, younger female though and therefore more likely to spark his interest...or is he just infertile perhaps?

I was a bit surprised they didn't take the opportunity to breed Cherie and Summer with Tuan when they were staying at Chester...explanation was to do with the uncertainty of the time of their return to Blackpool I believe.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2019
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Pertinax

It was. Probably to try him with a younger, fresh partner as the older sisters Cherie and Summer remain unbred by him after many years.(see above) Which is why I suggest a change of partners might help there. EEP decide the moves obviously but its often possible to identify potential ones in advance.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2019
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A permanent move of either or both would be very helpful along with a reproductive evaluation of the male sooner rather than later

Pertinax and Gigit like this.
  18. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Brum, kiang and Badgerman91 like this.
  19. Zooreviewsuk

According to the Zoo rep last week, the Viv by the Elephant house will actually be for Mud Turtles.

20. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member