Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DesertRhino150, 3 Jan 2020.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It's far too early to say. There are so many factors involved in these decisions.

2. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

An appeal to anyone visiting Colchester during the next couple of months or so - please could you report back on the work going on in the orangutan enclosure? I'd like to have some idea of when Mali and Tatty will be leaving Paignton for their new home. Thanks.

3. 4ways NAP

4ways NAP Well-Known Member

Work has started on the outdoor area of the Orangutan enclosure, a fence splitting it in half.

4. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member

I went for a short visit this morning. As well as the orangutan redevelopment mentioned above, the only thing I noticed that was different was that the wolves are off-show while parts of their enclosure are redeveloped.

Badgerman91 likes this.
  5. DesertRhino150

On February 26th 2020, a Ruppell's griffon vulture chick hatched to parents Jekyll and Morticia. The sex of the chick is currently unknown. This is the fifth chick of the species to be hatched at Colchester Zoo.

More information can be found in the link below:
    Endangered Vulture Chick | Colchester Zoo

6. DesertRhino150

On March 16th 2020, a new two-year-old male fennec fox (named Otis) arrived at Colchester Zoo from Riga Zoo in Latvia. He has since been mixed with the current female fennec (named Sammy).

More information can be found in the link below:
    Otis the Fennec Fox | Colchester Zoo

14556 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. DesertRhino150

Some good news from Colchester. On 25th March a Philippine spotted deer fawn was born - the parents both recently arrived at the Zoo, with the male Bongat and the female Autumn coming from Liberic and Edinburgh Zoos.

News about the birth can be found in the link below:
    Endangered Arrival | Colchester Zoo

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

They previously held a male and three(?) female Phillipine Deer but I never heard of any breeding. I wonder where those individuals have gone as presumably they have been replaced(?) by this new pair. Any information on this welcome...

9. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member

They definitely had at least one birth 2-3 years ago, I have a photo, I will have to look for it though!

Pertinax likes this.
  10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member Premium Member

One was born at Colchester Zoo on Boxing Day 2017.

See link below for photo

Young Prince Alfred's deer; Colchester; 13th January 2018 - ZooChat

Pertinax, Kifaru Bwana and pipaluk like this.
  11. DesertRhino150

I think this may be the third Philippine spotted deer born at Colchester. As well as this one and the aforementioned 2017 birth, I seem to remember reading that the mother of the 2017 fawn was herself born at the Zoo.

I think that only the previous male (I think he was called Mulhouse) and one of the females left Colchester; I think they should still have the two (or three - not sure what happened to the 2017-born fawn) other female deer as well.

Kifaru Bwana and Tim May like this.
  12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member

Tim May likes this.
  13. Pertinax

That sounds rational, if they have replaced the male with a new one unrelated to some of the female(s) + another unrelated female. From the news item I perhaps wrongly assumed this new pair and the fawn are the only ones they now have, but probably not the case.

Last edited: 10 Apr 2020
    DesertRhino150 likes this.
  14. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

More comments from a spokesperson from the zoo; 'The future is bleak' - the fight to save Colchester Zoo from permanent closure

I’m not entirely sure How much of this is a genuine fear from the zoo itself or how much is it a *gentle* reminder to the public to continue to donate? As the zoo is a private business and not a charity I’m unsure of what assistance they can get from the government?

15. Pertinax

They've released a short video of the baby Phillipine Deer. Only the parent pair are visible with it, no others. Doesn't mean they don't still have any others of course, but less likely?

Kifaru Bwana and Zorro like this.
  16. Badgerman91

5 Cheetah cubs have been born. Below is the statement from the zoos Facebook page;

This should bring a smile to your face - Cub cam is back but this time it features a litter of Cheetah cubs!

On the morning of Wednesday 15th April, the Animal Care Team were delighted to see that female Cheetah Sia had successfully given birth to not 1, not 2, not 3 or 4 but 5 healthy cubs!

Having reviewed camera footage set up in the birthing den, staff were able to see Sia give birth at around 6.30pm the night before. Two hours later saw the arrival of the 5th and final cub then Sia was finally able to settle down and allow them to feed!

This is Sia’s first successful litter and it is very early days, but we will be sure to keep you updated on the development of this adorable new family!

Find out more here> The Circle of Life Continues at Colchester Zoo | Colchester Zoo

Watch the birth of Sia’s cubs on our cub cam below!

#CheetahCubs #Conservation #BringingTheZooToYou #LoveNature

17. 4ways NAP

4ways NAP Well-Known Member

They have split the herd and are using the old off-show paddock which is part of the tigers off-show birthing den area which is behind the waterfall in the tiger enclosure can see it from nature area.That area still has grass to allow grazing

Pertinax likes this.
  18. sasha242

sasha242 Well-Known Member

19. Badgerman91

Seems to be a baby boom at the zoo with another birth announced:

Tamandua born on 11th April- second offspring for this breeding pair- see below for the post from the zoos Facebook page.

Tamanduas Oreo and Ruth welcome another baby into the world! ❤️️

Although Easter was very different this year for everyone, here at the zoo on Saturday 11th April our Animal Care Team were delighted to see that Ruth, the Tamandua, had given birth to a healthy baby!

The young Tamandua is yet to be sexed but is growing healthy and strong with Ruth proving to be a very good mum. This bundle of joy is the 2nd successful offspring for Ruth and dad, Oreo, the family are doing well with the little one sticking close to mum for the time being! #BringingTheZooToYou #NewBorn #Tamandua #ColchesterZoo

Find out more about mum, dad and their new arrival here>
    Tamandua Baby Born! | Colchester Zoo

20. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

sasha242 and Kifaru Bwana like this.