Join our zoo community

Colchester Zoo Colchester Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DesertRhino150, 3 Jan 2020.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

:( (As someone whose visits to Paignton revolve around Mali and Tatty, I'm dreading their departure. May sound overly dramatic, but Tatty has been a source of joy for the last 7½ years and I'm not ashamed to admit it)

Zia and TriUK like this.
  2. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

The lion enclosure has recently been refurbished slightly so I doubt theres any plans to build a new one and especially with all this covid stuff happening I doubt we will see any new enclosures there for a while. I think there are long term plans to move the african animals up the top where the car park is so maybe they will go up there??

3. 4ways NAP

4ways NAP Well-Known Member

The zoo own land behind the Nature area and to the far side of the car parks which is currently rented out to local farmers and plans to build a hotel on it for guests

4. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Could someone please update me on the status of the African Elephant heard? For example are all three Cowes still residing in the same enclosure. I ask this as Zola the aggressive and lowest ranking Elephant is often kept in solitary confinement. I’m aware that Tembo was due to move to an other European Zoo,until his Tasks started to cause problems. In response to this is Tembo still planned to move on? Personally I think that Tembo should be moved as he has not sired any alive offspring at Colchester for 16 years. I’m aware that a couple of years ago Colchester were contemplating used Artificial Insmination (AI) on the Cowes. The sperm in question would have been that of Jambo Tembo’s adolescent son Jambo. Incidentally Jambo has fallen out with the Dominant Cow at Bioparc Valencia,this situation in my opinion could provide the perfect opportunity to bring Jambo back to Colchester in exchange for his Dad.
    In addition to the African Elephants can someone please give me an overview on Colchester Zoo’s news?
    I have heard that the planned arrival of Mali the Bornian Orangutan and her daughter Tatu from Paignton Zoo is liniment. Can someone please tell me how the renovations on the Orangutan house & enclosure is progressing,if possible can someone please post a picture of the renovated Orangutan abode?

bintarong likes this.
  5. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Oct 2020
    Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  6. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went for a morning visit to Colchester today - it was good to get out on last time before Thursday. This is what I noticed that may be of interest:
    • The Cuvier's Madagascar swift is now on-show in Kingdom of the Wild; it is in the leftmost of the three larger terrariums, with all signage of it at the middle enclosure (for mud turtles and cichlids) now removed.
    • Managed a brief sighting of the new fire skink, while the blue-legged mantella remain elusive.
    • Looked again at the new ‘Feathers of the Forest’ display – unfortunately from the signage I could see the chances of there being any birds other than the Victoria crowned pigeons are slim.
    • It was nice to see some of the babies I hadn't seen much of before; I don't think I have seen the pygmy hippo calf before and the newest rhino calf was visible in the Kingdom of the Wild indoor area.
    • The new walkway being built around the edge of the Kingdom of the Wild paddock seems to have progressed well and is now signed as 'African Plateau'.

Brum and Badgerman91 like this.
  8. Badgerman91

Badgerman91 Well-Known Member

@DesertRhino150- any idea or update from your visit if the long awaited female orangutans are arriving in the near future?

9. DesertRhino150

Unfortunately not - when we were in the orangutan house there were no staff around to ask about that.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

You'd think now that nothing will happen before 2 December (she says hopefully!)

11. 4ways NAP

4ways NAP Well-Known Member

Baby mandrill born last week

12. DesertRhino150

A Colombian black spider monkey was born at Colchester Zoo on Tuesday 20th October, to mother Cheekaboo and father Julius. The baby's sex is currently unknown.

More information can be found in the link below:
    Spider Monkey baby born! | Colchester Zoo

13. DesertRhino150

Colchester Zoo have announced that the redevelopment of the older Humboldt penguin enclosure, Penguin Shores, will begin during the current lockdown. The zoo will be using materials purchased before the first lockdown as well as making use of available leftover materials. Because of these cutbacks, it is expected that the work will take a year, instead of the six months already planned.

The redevelopment will include a new filtration system and an updated underwater viewing area. While the work goes on, the penguins living in Penguin Shores have been moved to join the second group living in the newer enclosure at the Inca Trail.

More information in the link below:
    Penguin Shores Redevelopment | Colchester Zoo

Badgerman91 and Jungle Man like this.
  14. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

15. DesertRhino150

JurassicMax and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  16. sasha242

sasha242 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tombe, GaryA, Zia and 3 others like this.
  17. DesertRhino150

Female chimpanzee Tekita was put to sleep on December 1st, at the age of 25 years old. She had been unwell and under veterinary care for the past few weeks but following exploratory surgery it was decided that there was no treatment available to help. In the coming days a full post mortem will be completed to determine the exact cause of death.

Tekita was born in February 1996 at Colchester to mother Tara, who still lives at the zoo. She was also mother to both Tumba and Talia, the youngest chimpanzees in the troop.

More information can be found in the link below:
    Goodbye Tekita | Colchester Zoo

Tombe and JT like this.
  18. WanderingDragon

WanderingDragon Well-Known Member

Can any regular visitors to Colchester please help me with a bit of an investigation? A female Amur Tiger has left (or will shortly be leaving) a UK zoo headed for Plzen. Is this Tatana?

Tombe likes this.
  19. DesertRhino150

A fourteen year-old female large hairy armadillo named Allie arrived at Colchester Zoo on November 23rd, joining one year-old male armadillo Gomez that arrived earlier in the year.

There is more information in the link below (which does also falsely claim it is the largest armadillo species):
    Gomez the Armadillo welcomes a new friend! | Colchester Zoo

bintarong and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  20. Tombe

Tombe Well-Known Member

I'm confident this is milashki from woburn who was born at the park in 2015. The cubs at colchester have at least 8 months left at the zoo as said in colchesters Facebook live show two weeks ago which you can watch on youtube

WanderingDragon and Badgerman91 like this.