Join our zoo community

Cold Tolerant Exotics

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by PrimoCulture Farms, 26 Feb 2017.

1. PrimoCulture Farms

PrimoCulture Farms Active Member

Hi all looking for input on exotics that adapt to cold relatively well to add to our farm. We have shelters of course but none are currently heated. So I guess the question is species that can handle cold as long as they have protection from wind/rain/snow ect.
    Now let me clarify a few things.
    When I say cold I mean cold we are in Wisconsin and below zero temps are not uncommon.
    Second I'm open to all animals but my focus is hoofstock, and birds.
    I've been thinking that some antelope like eland could acclimate, but don't have any good knowledge to back any of my theories up.

2. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Could I ask if you are looking for animals for display or potential farm animals? From your handle I assume that your facebook page shows the kind of animals you are currently keeping. Given the cattle breeds, I wonder if there are any domestic yaks currently in the US, as these should certainly be able to cope with the climate. As far as birds go, in an aviary setting many of the onamental pheasants are from mountains and should only require frost proof shelter in your climate. Either way local hobbyists or keepers would probably be the best source of information.

3. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Quite a few waterfowl species would do just fine in Wisconsin. Bactrian camels would be suited for a cold climate, although probably not too easy to obtain. They're not necessarily exotic, but reindeer would definitely do well. Sika deer would definitely do well in that climate.

4. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

This might sound obvious but look at a Trewartha climate map then estimate from that. I am not familiar with Wisconsin, but I'm sure many temperate exotics will do fine. Not just northern parts of Eurasia and N America, but the S American cone and maybe S Australia (Tasmania).

5. PrimoCulture Farms

PrimoCulture Farms Active Member

Looking for some species to display. There are many yaks in the US and I've looked into adding them.

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Keas.

Great birds, adapted to living in the cold, very active. The only drawback is they are expert mechanics and make take your cage apart.

:p

Hix

7. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I hope this isn't bumping the topic but I've read that adult ostriches do fairly well in the cold and I'd assume emus are as well :p

8. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Emus and rhea go down into cool temperate climates. The question is where are the Holarctic ratites: the Asian ostrich was the last.

9. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I would not advise keeping any tropical ungulates without heated shelters for them to utilize in the winter.

10. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zebras do surprisingly well in the winter but I would suggest a heated shelter for them as well