Join our zoo community

Cologne Zoo Cologne Zoo News

Discussion in 'Germany' started by kiang, 2 Jan 2018.

1. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Guereza left the zoo to be replaced by King colobus, 4 males arrived recently from Poznan (originally from Blackpool), as Poznan will start a breeding group.

Another new mammal addition are 1.1 Nile lechwe from Hodenhagen, which live in the former Bukhara deer enclosure, which has seen the soil being completely replaced after the Deer left after issues with TB.

The last remaining Balabac mousedeer left for Wroclaw. The zoo is temporarily without tigers as well, as the enclosure is being renovated, the remaining male went to Schwerin.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

In the latest issue of Zoo Grapevine & International Zoo News there is an article titled 'Conservational Herpetology at Cologne Zoo' that is 5 pages long. Of interest to me was a full list of approximately 60 species to be found in the zoo's Reptile House as of April 2019, including many rarities that I don't encounter very often in Reptiles Houses in the U.S. (if at all).

A selection of rarities (at least as far as American zoos are concerned): Chinese Stripe-necked Turtle, Chinese Cave Gecko, Marbled Gecko, Many-lined Sun Skink, 9 species of monitor lizard, Rough-scaled Python, New Guinea Sand Boa, Tartar Sand Boa, Rhinoceros Ratsnake, Brown Kukri Snake, Chinese Giant Salamander, Cayenne Stubfoot Toad, Bony-headed Toad, Yellow Stream Frog and a few others.

Are some of those species fairly common in European collections? How would Cologne Zoo's Reptile House compare with many other similar buildings in Europe? I've heard that the zoo is exemplary and that the Reptile House/Aquarium/Insectarium is one of the highlights.

sooty mangabey and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The majority are rarities even for us :) was very pleased with the reptile house myself when I visited last year.

pipaluk and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. lintworm

Recent births include a Greater bamboo lemur and a Ring-tailed vontsira.

5. lintworm

In terms of diversity the reptile house in probably only second behind the one in Wroclaw with regards to diversity. Cologne is however pretty unique in its focus on conservation and the breeding results in Cologne are self-explanatory... Only few other zoos in Europe come close in collection size and exhibit quality in their reptile house, only Berlin, Frankfurt, Antwerp, Vienna and Zurich come to mind for central Europe....

6. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even it is against my local patriotism heart, I have to disagree ref. "collection size" and "Zoo Zurich". Zurich (even if you include Masoalahalle) can not mess species wise with the others you have mentioned. On the other hand, Zoo Leipzig has a very good collection of reptiles and amphibians (Reptile House and Gondwana) as well as Stuttgart. And then remember the good old days of Riviera Hall Rotterdam and Tierpark Berlins Snake Farm...

arafan and pipaluk like this.
  7. lintworm

For Zuerich it is more the overall quality of the terraria, in terms of species richness it lacks behind, just as Stuttgart lacks behind in design, though the collection is pretty comprehensive.

8. TeaLovingDave

I think it's pushing things a little to call Antwerp "central Europe" :p

9. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I always put Berlin Zoo, Zurich and Koln in a league of their own in terms of exhibit quality and quantity. Perhaps Zurich does have less but it's still sizeable. Frankfurt is charming but nowhere near as big I think. Berlin TP had quantity but the actual terrariums were not that pretty.

10. TeaLovingDave

But nor were they actually bad at all, from what I recall - they weren't too small for the inhabitants and provided a fair bit of scope for them to hide from view, for instance.

11. Joker1706

Joker1706 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For the first time, since the "Hippodom" opened in 2010, a hippo was born at the end of last week.

It is supposed, that it is a male, parents are Jenny (29) and Albert (26).

12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Small video of the newly born hippo :

HOMIN96 likes this.
  13. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh god, another male...but I'm very happy for the Hippodome team nevertheless :)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. pan troglodytes

pan troglodytes Member

Try Pairi Daiza in belgium, blows all the others out of sight!

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think you are doing Koelner reptile house an injustice its conservation and breeding results speak volumes!

BTW: PD to me is a nice zoo yes ..., but too much emphasis on theming multi culti lesser quality on animal exhibits and generally somewhat postage stamp collection fitting animal-wise .....

Enough talk on comparisons now, back to zoo news proper!!!

Last edited: 10 Jun 2019
  16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Musk-ox born at Cologne :).

pipaluk likes this.
  17. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to Zootierliste, Cologne recently acquired at least 4 species of BoP’s.

Does anyone have more information, like are there any birds on show?

Kifaru Bwana and FunkyGibbon like this.
  18. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

According to my count (of ZTL), five species: Magnificent, King, Lesser, Red and Twelve-wired.

Kifaru Bwana and Crowthorne like this.
  19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

None were on show 2 weeks ago!

20. TeaLovingDave

From what I'm aware, the listings are indeed accurate :eek: if they go on-display it would be a massive temptation-factor for me to return, given the fact I have never seen Magnificent, and never got photographs of Red!

Never seen Lesser either, mind you - but that's getting rectified soon.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.