Join our zoo community

Cologne Zoo Cologne Zoo News

Discussion in 'Germany' started by kiang, 2 Jan 2018.

1. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very sad news indeed. It was one of the most striking primates I've ever seen.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A shame; it wasn't all that old I believe.

3. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I guess that explains why I didn't see it on the 23rd then, end of an era for Europe.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

There are still doucs in Europe though.

5. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I genuinely had no idea they had a group in Chleby, thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2019
    Chlidonias likes this.
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thats realy a pitty. At the beginning of the 2000s I saw the group at Cologne which at that time contained at least 6 animals ! A shame that it was not possible to maintain the species and hopefully Chleby will equal succesfull as Cologne has been in the past but the first young have already been born so lets hope !

Shirokuma likes this.
  7. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

This summer I heard a man at the zoo (a visitor, regular by the look of him) tell some people it was the only one in Europe. I was very tempted to correct him but didn’t have the courage to mention it on this occasion.

8. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, it's very sad that there are no douc langurs in Cologne.

I first visited Cologne in 1980; in those days Cologne had a great collection of primates in the Lemur House: proboscis monkey, douc langur, rare saki monkeys and rare uakaris in addition to all the lemurs.

9. Jogy

Jogy Well-Known Member

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2011 Cologne recieved a small group of confitigated Black-breasted leaf turtles ( Geoemyda sprengleri ) and 2013 the species was put on display in the Aquarium.
    2016 the zoo had their first breeding-result and also in the years afther the species has been bred.
    2019 no less then 4 young hatched and 2 young are now also on display :).

11. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To start off the year, the zoo have shared progress photographs of the South American House refurbishment. Looks like some serious work, only the walls and towers seem to remain!

Security Check Required

Shirokuma and StoppableSan like this.
  12. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Garnett's galago was born in December.

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.
  13. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited Cologne today and despite the surprisingly large crowds it was a delightful visit.

- In both the Aquarium and the Terrarium section the collection is becoming more unique every year, with a stronger focus on endangered species, especially SE Asia.
    - In the rainforest house both a Yellow-breasted fruit dove and a Spotted imperial pigeon have gone on show (both are only kept in 2 other zoos in Europe). With four fruit dove and 2 imperial pigeon species on show, there is quite some diversity, but still it is only a fraction of what they keep & breed behind the scenes... New for me in the Bird area were Lesser blue-eared starling (5th zoo in Europe), which have been kept for quite some months now
    - The Elephant shrew enclosure in the Hippodom has been converted to a nocturnal enclosure for Hausa genet. The Rufous elephant shrews are behind the scenes (where they are breeding, with 2 births in the past months). The Sun squirrel seems to be no longer at the zoo.
    - No construction has started yet on the planned Coquerel sifaka + Ring-tailed lemur enclosure, but there is a lot going on around the S-American house.
    - A second female Nile lechwe has arrived, so there are now 1.2 Nile lechwe in the former Bactrian red deer enclosure. Hog deer are already on the map in the Banteng enclosure, but they are not there (yet).

14. lintworm

The Zoo has received a group of critically endangered Mangarahara cichlids (Ptychochromis insolitus) from Toronto Zoo last year and they have already started breeding behind the scenes, the first young have already been sent to Vienna and Stuttgart, Duisburg and Berlin will receive them soon too. The zoo is now in the process of emptying the 20.000 liter Lake Tanganyika tank (one of the 3 large tanks) and remodeling it into a Malagasy tank, which is part of their process on focusing more and more on endangered freshwater fish.

Security Check Required

15. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

There is a small, 3-paragraph article about the rare Madagascan fish in the latest issue of Zoo Grapevine & International Zoo News, and in that typically packed magazine there are also 4 full pages on Burgers' Zoo courtesy of a rave review from a British zookeeper. That zoo in Arnhem is dear to the heart of @lintworm .

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

18. Joshu6

Joshu6 Member 5+ year member

Zoos are closed for public traffic in Germany, but work still continues.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I suspect the latter, as the "soft lock-down" in the Netherlands is certainly different from the "soft lock-down" in Belgium, let alone the stricter countries like Italy and Spain. I don't know the German situation though.

20. lintworm

The 2019 annual report of the zoo is now online here (German only):
    Unternehmen

The zoo received 1,346,956 visitors last year, which is a 10% increase over 2018.

Some noteworthy mammal births in 2019 include a Banteng (the young bull born in 2018 had to be euthanized as no place was available in European zoos and was fed to the predators, the same happened to 2 young Onager males), European Otter, 2 Red Howler Monkeys (another one was born a month ago), Okapi, 2 Persian Leopards, 2 Geoffrey's Cats, 3 Northern Luzon Cloud Rats, 3 Bettongs, 6 Rufous Elephant Shrew (2 other young did not survive), Bonobo, 1 Musk Ox, 1 Ring-tailed Vontsira (another one was born in 2020), 1 Greater Bamboo Lemur (another one was born this month)

New arrivals over the last year include Southern Three-banded Armadillo, Patagonian Mara, Nile Lechwe (first calf already born this year), 2 Lyle's Fruit Bats, 4 King Colobus.

A male Hog Deer did arrive from TP Berlin, but was already injured on arrival and died shortly afterward. Blackbuck will now move into the Banteng enclosure as smaller species.

The bird collection was extended once again from 1567 birds in 268 species the zoo kept 1682 birds in 289 species by the end of the year. Many of the Fruit Doves reproduced again this year. A small selection of other births (over 100 bird species, of which 55 Anseriforms, bred in 2019) includes 24 Inca Terns, African Openbill, Southern Bald Ibis, 8 Carmine Bee-eaters. New species include Coscoroba Swan, Red-headed Goose, S-African Shellduck, Cinnamon Ground Dove, Red Cardinal, Red-crested Turaco, 6 Solitary Tinamu, 2 Madagascar Blue Pigeon, 4 Madagascar Sacred Ibis, 3 Madagascar Pond Heron, 2 Crested Coua, Grey's Fruit Dove, Black-headed Duck and Bush Thick-knee. 1 King Bird-of-Paradise came from Walsrode, 2 King BoP, 3 Lesser BoP and 2 12-wired BoP were received from a confiscation in Austria.

Additionally 8 amphibian, 19 fish species and 16 reptile species could be bred

Not kept anymore are White-faced saki, Balabac Mousedeer, Red-shanked Douc (Kidney failure), Sun-squirrel among a few others.

So overall a really successful year for the zoo collection wise.

Last edited: 28 May 2020