Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Colubus at Melbourne

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoo_Boy, 12 Mar 2006.

1. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

melbourne zoo rwally is becoming a great rainforest zoo, africa- bongo , hippo, madrill , gorilla, coloubus and even biger asian , aivary, eles, orands, tapir, otter , tiger great place

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Are the Coloubus monkeys in with the Gorillas in Melbourne zoo, I think they might be??, That would be a good thing for Taronga to follow.

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

colobus at melbourne

no, the melbourne (finally breeding!) guereza colobus group are found on the tree-top monkeys and apes exhibit, which is located in the african rainforest zone, but displays asian and south american primates as well. eventually this exhibit is to be demolished (it features a elevated boardwalk where visitors can look into mesh-netted enclosures through glass) to build more modern primate exhibits. most of the enclosures are a little too small (the colobus are an exception) but are very well landscaped and it is still a very popular exhibit. i actually really like it - i just think some of the smaller enclosures would be better suited to birds or other small arboreal mammals.

once it goes though i'm hoping the zoo experiments with keeping the colobus with the gorillas and maybe the de brazza guenons with the mandrills.

i'm aslo hoping to see the demolishion of the old great ape exhibits now the orangs have a new enclosure in the asian rainforest, and that the african rainforest will expand into this area with a new enterance and a group of bongo and buffalo.

dreaming again.....

4. patrick

Zoo_Boy, i'm posting a reply to a a post i think that sim accidently left behind in the WPZ section.

the gorilla exhibit at taronga is not really a "mixed species" exhibit with guenons. the de brazza's lived next door in another enclosure.

i heard some rubbish about those aweful great ape exhibits being heritage as well. they were built in the 60's or 70's and a hardly of any architectual singnificance. i'm hoping they get demolished. the zoo apparently has to preserve parts of the old elephant exhibit too - valuable space if you ask me.

i'll be visiting melbourne zoo as soon as the games are over to view the new orangutan exhibit. the zoo was apparently also refurbishing the australia section in time for the influx of OS visitors. i'll take a digital camera and get some good pix of the zoo.

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Pat can you get a picy of the sable Antelope as well?.

6. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

yea i no that taronga has not mixed the species, but it was designed to mix them, although never done, and the debazzras are bot in the exhibit next door, taronga has none there, on display. the teen male gorrillas occupy that space now.

7. patrick

yes, a rediculously small space if you ask me. i really don't think much of the taronga gorilla exhibit. in fact i have always hated it.

mark, the sable antelope is at werribee open range zoo. i don't have any immediate plans to visit. i have never seen the new lion enclosure, but to be honest - werribee can be a bit boring as only a few animals can be seen at your own pace (the rest are only visible on the safari bus). i might check it out when the hippo exhibit opens. its a very nicely done zoo, just needs a few more new developments before it will get me there again.

the only time i have seen the sable he was not on display (however i could see him in another paddock through some trees). when i asked the tour driver what that magnificent looking antelope was she told me that was their very rare sable antelope. i believe it was originally paired up as a present from some other zoo.

but if i go i promise i'll try to get a pic for ya.

the big thing i'm excited about is a new orangutan exhibit. melbourne generally do pretty well designed exhibits and the idea of seeing the orangs at eye level in the treetops is pretty cool. it will also become home for the siamang family, who can currently be very hard to see on their overgrown island.

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thank you Pat, that would be great. I hope to get to both the Victorian zoos some day that will be interesting i should think.

I looked on the ISIS website about those Mouse deer and if would seem there are quite a few overseas zoos (worldwide) with them, Singepore zoo has a heap of them, we may be luckly and get some from there.

I plan to visit Australia zoo after Easter then their new exhibits open if there is anything you want photos of just let me know.

9. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Giant Otters

Had a look on ISIS it seems there are 16 Giant otters in zoos,

10 male- 6 female. German zoos have 4. US zoos have 6. South American zoos only 3. Trinidad zoo also have some.

10. patrick

they are pretty amazing creatures. they really are giants. would be great to see some in australia one day.

11. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I think that the sea otters would fit in well at Sea World as they would continue the theme of that park. Sea Woeld does excellent exhibits, POlar Bear shores and Shark Bay are both amazing experiences, and great for the anials as well.
    Jai