Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Columbus Zoo and Aquarium News -2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by TZFan, 1 Jan 2016.

1. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I hope Colo is alright, I really want to celebrate her 60th Birthday in 3 weeks.

2. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

This is splendid news, hopefully in a sometime in the next decade the Zoo will hear the patter of not so little feet!

The teen years are a good age for an Elephant to have her first calf, I'm unrealistically hoping that Hank will surprise us.

3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited the zoo for their Wild Lights event last night, and these are some changes I noticed:

-In addition to the crested wood partridges being added to the flying fox exhibit in Asia Quest, chukar partridges have been added as well.

-Additional chukar partridges, along with Chinese hwamei, white-crowned laughing thrushes, and some of the zoo's magpie geese have moved into the Pheasantry in Asia Quest.

-Dusky pygmy rattlesnakes (former leopard gecko exhibit) and a young Mertens' water monitor (former Burmese python exhibit) have been added to the Reptile House.

5. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A female bonobo named "Bertie" was born on December 9th to mother "Susie".

betsy likes this.
  6. PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum Well-Known Member

It was reported during the WBNS "Into the Wildlights" special over the weekend that a Sea Lion / Seal exhibit is confirmed and under development for the entrance area.

As nice as the Shores Park is, it's a shame that the real estate was used for that instead of this complex. The park could have been worked in anywhere...

7. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

While it would have been nice to have the seal/sea lions in the area now home to Shores park, I would rather have seen the penguins get some expanded new digs in that area to replace the one unquestionably substandard exhibit remaining at the zoo. I'm guessing the pinnipeds are going in the same area where they had been slated to go in prior to the failed levy. While I can't help but wish for something a bit more exciting than sea lions, I'm just glad that something new has finally been announced.

8. PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum Well-Known Member

Do you know where exactly in the entrance area this is planned for?

It looks like one of the zoo's brass were in Fresno at Chaffee this past January to check out their then-new Sea Lion Cove exhibit: Fresno Chaffee Zoo, once downtrodden, now a model for the latest in exhibits

9. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to the master plan, it will be a narrow exhibit that settles itself between the central, circle shaped area just beyond the gates to the nearby lake.

10. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. steno

steno Member

Awesome! Any idea when it'll be done?