Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Columbus Zoo News - 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by SamMetz, 13 Jan 2015.

1. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

Apparently both the lionesses, Asali and Kazi, were/are pregnant, besides the zoo only announcing Kazi's on the 14th.

"Pride Update! Congratulations to Asali on the birth of four lion cubs! The litter was born on Aug. 16 in the Heart of Africa lion habitat. Mom and babies appear to be doing well and animal care staff are monitoring the cubs. On Friday, it was announced that her half-sister, Kazi is on baby watch and expected to deliver by the end of August. Kazi did not leave Asali for her den on Sunday and was present during the cubs’ birth. Asali and the cubs are expected to move into a denning shelter in the near future.
    This is Asali and Tomo’s second litter of cubs after their first lion cubs were born in September 2009. The gestation period for lions is around 3 months and there is no exact science to pinpoint a lion’s due date. Keepers did determine that Asali was pregnant, although there were barely any signs of mating. When fecal samples were tested it was anticipated that she would be due in early to mid-September. The pairing of both Asali and Kazi with Tomo was recommended by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums’ Species Survival Plan (SSP) for African lions."

https://www.facebook.com/columbuszoo/photos/pcb.10153105738567106/10153105737117106/?type=1&theater

2. 6536799

6536799 Member

Looks like 4 cubs but I'm concerned for that little guy on the right it looks like he needs a little help finding a nipple

3. SamMetz

"Second-time mom Asali is doing a great job with her four cubs born on Sunday, Aug. 16. The lion habitat in Heart of Africa is currently closed to Zoo visitors, so mom and babies can bond. Asali will soon move indoors to her den where animal care staff can monitor the cubs and it may be several weeks before they are seen by guests."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vmDCCOmWrQ

I agree and Im kinda concerned now with this new video. It shows only three cubs now but I'm not 100 percent.

4. 6536799

6536799 Member

It says in the description there is four cubs but you are right I can only see three maybe they pulled him to hand rear him??

5. SamMetz

The zoo commented that the fourth cub was in the grass after people started asking why there was only three cubs to be seen. It seems weird to me they haven't moved them to the denning area yet with how extreme and fast changing Ohio's weather can be. It can go from 90 degree sun to lightning downpour in five minutes. But I guess they're letting mom choose what to do right now.

6. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

9. SamMetz

10. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Announcement on the zoo's FB page"

11. TZFan

12. 6536799

6536799 Member

The lion cubs were on display starting on the 24th sorry for the delay

13. 6536799

6536799 Member

When is the fall 2015 zoo levy I know it is just an extension of the current levy and not an increase but when will the voting be??

14. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is anyone aware of the zoo's plans with its Asian elephants? I know Hank was brought in to breed with Phoebe but other than that i haven't really heard much else. Is Beco separated from the cows now? Is he being sent off? And does the zoo have any plans to bring in more females? Not sure where they'd get them from but I'd love to see the zoo get some more cows.

15. SamMetz

In July Beco was separated from the others but I have been back since so it might of changed.

16. TZFan

17. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

My daughter and I follow all the Asian elephants in the country and love your big guy Hank! When he moved to Columbus from Riddle's Sanctuary, we expected not only babies, but lots of viewing fun for visitors--and have been surprised not to see tons of comments and pictures and updates. Aside from Beco growing out of the matriarchal herd, what's going on with your lovely elephants?

18. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@AmbikaFan: I can tell by your username! Ambika is a lovely creature. I saw her in May when we were in DC. Have you ever been to Riddle's before?

19. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Beco has been separated from the other three elephants at least this entire year, from my visits. He is most commonly seen in the smaller elephant exhibit where the visiting Cleveland females could be seen during the construction of Elephant Crossing.

As for any breeding, I'm not sure what is going on, but do plan to ask someone the next time I'm in (hopefully next week). Given the huge hoopla around here surrounding the births of Bodhi and Beco, I'm sure the zoo is as hopeful as many of us zoochatters are about future breeding success. Columbus can house many more elephants comfortably than it currently does; if the black rhinos are eventually moved to a more zoogeographically accurate location (as has long been planned/promised), the existing black rhino yards and the smaller exhibit currently home to Beco could become a great second outdoor exhibit - as established during the period when Columbus held Cleveland's females, there is sufficient room to hold another group of females currently. I know that many hold out hope for the return of Africans to Columbus, but I'd love to see an expanded breeding pool of Asians (not to mention that expanding the Asian holding would be much simpler and cheaper than construction of an entirely new African holding area and exhibit).