Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Columbus Zoo News - 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by SamMetz, 13 Jan 2015.

1. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What are the barn floors like?

2. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I like your thinking. I'd rather see new and different species in the African area than elephants anyway.

3. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe columbus has the 2nd largest indoor area..i think they were the largest before Omaha built their new elephant barn. Would be nice if they transitioned the large communal indoor area to a sand stall, looks like concrete in the photo though i could be wrong.

Is anyone familiar with the layout of the entire building or have a pdf of the design?

5. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

I agree that I'd love to see a switch to a more natural substrate in the building. While it's large and functional, it's not the most aesthetically pleasing building (it's almost all concrete).
    I don't know the layout of the entire building; I'd be interested in seeing a plan myself. It's huge - that's all I know. In addition to the large communal area in public view, there is holding for quite a few more elephants behind the scenes.

6. jibster

The zoo's levy renewal passed easily, 76% to 24%. The levy campaign was understated (with an emphasis on the fact that no one's taxes would rise), and unlike the last contentious battle, no future plans have been set forth by the zoo. It's the first time in a while the Zoo has no announced future plans; perhaps with the easy renewal of the levy, some future developments will be announced soon.

Took a quick spin around a small part of the zoo during a few spare hours this weekend to see the lion cubs before Heart of Africa closed for the season. The cubs were no disappointment; got to see both mothers and all 6 cubs out (separately) though the male was missing. Docents confirmed that the all lions are being integrated into one pride and should all be visible on exhibit together next year. Finally managed to see the hyenas out in the waterhole and a docent confirmed that the jackal pups are in training for the waterhole rotation next year. Unlike last year, with the warmer weather the gazelle and wildebeest were still out on exhibit into November (although I didn't see the kudu out), though the guineafowl have been off exhibit since the bird flu threat very early in the season and I saw no sign of the storks or ostrich. Both polar bear sisters were out on exhibit still, no one out to ask whether there was breeding observed, though I would anticipate, given the past, both girls will be denning soon (fingers crossed for surviving cubs this year). Over in Asia, the elephants had switched their usual locations, with the two girls in the smaller east yard and Beco alone in the large western yard (no sign of Hank). I could not track down any docents or keepers in the elephant area to ask about the future of the elephant program. I think my better half (no fan of snakes in the best of circumstances) was permanently traumatized seeing the reticulated python in the midst of (slowly) engulfing her rabbit meal. The pallas cat exhibit was boarded off with a sign saying there was hope the cats were breeding (though it's been over a year since I've seen any signs of life in this exhibit, this at least suggests the cats are still doing well). In North America, the rescued moose calf has settled into the main moose exhibit, with reindeer returned to his former exhibit (including the two calves born earlier this year). The grizzly bear exhibit sits empty, and the wolverine exhibit was under construction of some kind. A sandpiper of some species (no signage and I haven't had a chance to compare my photos with field guides) has taken up residence in the songbird aviary.

That's about it from this visit. Hope to get back one or two more times before Wildlights.

7. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

I thought the renewal of the levy was meant to be put towards renovating North America and Gorilla building? I thought I read that somewhere.

9. jibster

I had heard about the renovations, but there was no mention of anything truly new, like the many new additions/expansions set forth before the last levy (or the South American expansion long ago promised). The Dispatch article linked above states that there will be renovations to the great ape exhibits, the animal hospital, and North America, plus the addition of animal exhibits to Jungle Jack's Landing, the amusement park attached to the zoo (already home to Stingray Bay and the Animal Encounter Village). While renovations to the great apes exhibits will be welcome, I would not expect the work slated as of the last levy (i.e., a move of the Congo Forest area nearer to Heart of Africa and a move of the orangs over to where Congo Forest is now) to now ever come to pass - I don't see much of the zoo's footprint changing over in that area if money is put into renovating the ape exhibits where they currently stand. The addition of animals to the Landing is not likely to be much either, as there is limited space in that area and everything currently there is bare-bones (except for Stingray Bay). North America's renovation is very needed, as the loss of the last grizzly bear, black bear, and timber wolf over the last year+ have left the central area quite empty and unsuited for the sandhill cranes and river otters that now reside there.

But these renovations are a far cry from the large new or wholly renovated areas that have been opening every few years over the last 15 years or so. The Zoo has massive amounts of undeveloped land and a lot of proposed projects that have fallen by the wayside, so the lack of any new development is a bit sad - it's been a long time since there's we've been without major new development on the horizon here in Columbus.

10. Loxodonta Cobra

it's been a long time since there's we've been without major new development on the horizon here in Columbus.[/QUOTE]

Heart of Africa is only 18 months old :rolleyes:

11. jibster

Heart of Africa is only 18 months old :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yes, but for Columbus, that's a long time without a major new project announced. Often, two or more major projects had been announced in advance - and now it's been 18 months (and a levy has been renewed) - we're slowing down. At least compared to Columbus's usual quick pace. Of course, if the renovations are focused on the North American section and the gorillas, those are two of the "oldest" parts of the zoo. I'm just not sure how much really can be done with the gorillas (or any of the other apes) without really opening up new land - which is what I'd love to see happen (of course, I'd love to see renovation of the night quarters for the bonobos and I know many (not necessarily me) would love to see a more naturalistic outdoor exhibit(s) for the gorillas). Who knows, maybe the renovations planned are more substantial than I imagine they will be....

In the end, we Columbus residents are pretty spoiled to have a top-notch zoo that has continually been developing and growing at such a pace. But there's always improvement to be made, and with the renewal of the levy, I wish we had something major on the horizon to show where the money will go. I suspect the zoo will wait until they go for a larger or permanent levy (which, given the kerfuffle over the last permanent levy issue, may be a while) to really announce anything substantial.

12. Loxodonta Cobra

Yes, but for Columbus, that's a long time without a major new project announced. Often, two or more major projects had been announced in advance - and now it's been 18 months (and a levy has been renewed) - we're slowing down. At least compared to Columbus's usual quick pace. Of course, if the renovations are focused on the North American section and the gorillas, those are two of the "oldest" parts of the zoo. I'm just not sure how much really can be done with the gorillas (or any of the other apes) without really opening up new land - which is what I'd love to see happen (of course, I'd love to see renovation of the night quarters for the bonobos and I know many (not necessarily me) would love to see a more naturalistic outdoor exhibit(s) for the gorillas). Who knows, maybe the renovations planned are more substantial than I imagine they will be....

In the end, we Columbus residents are pretty spoiled to have a top-notch zoo that has continually been developing and growing at such a pace. But there's always improvement to be made, and with the renewal of the levy, I wish we had something major on the horizon to show where the money will go. I suspect the zoo will wait until they go for a larger or permanent levy (which, given the kerfuffle over the last permanent levy issue, may be a while) to really announce anything substantial.[/QUOTE]

I can definitely understand that Columbus residents are very proud of their zoo, and the fact that it has grown so fast with such a supportive crowd backing it up after all those years really makes it even greater to know. But times have changed now. As shown by the previous levy, not everyone is on board with the zoo and budget cuts are being seen in everything zoo-related. The master plan, the original design for HOA, and the placement of animals is all being controlled now by the zoo's budget. Not even Jack can fund projects like he used too. So it's best to try and get out with the old and in with the new as mentioned by renovating the NA section and apes in CE with the money that is given instead of go over board and spend it all on a huge new zone. Columbus will officially be slowing down for renovations to increase the welfare and care of the animals they currently have before adding anymore species. And to anyone who is disappointed that no new areas are being opened, remember that if this levy failed, they would have to cut-back on staff, reduce it's highly revered conservation programs, and worst of all, get rid of animals, the one thing all zoos don't want to do. Like Jack said "this monument to the animal kingdom" would no longer exist.

13. jibster

I don't disagree with your point, but I think you may put too much into the failure of the past levy. It was a very different beast from the renewal of the prior one (for reasons already mentioned), and its failure does not reflect on the lack of support for the zoo (hence the passage of the levy renewal with 76% support). The issue I have is that it was under the levy that was just renewed and other similar levies that the zoo completed all of its expansion up to this point. The failed permanent levy did involve some permanent expansion to the zoo but also involved the now-abandoned satellite downtown zoo project. While the far-reaching plans released in conjunction with that levy could not be expected to be all completed, I doubt that Columbus is so cash-strapped that they can't continue to promise more expansion. I'm not asking that a project be built immediately, but in the past, the zoo has always announced expansion in connection with its levy renewals (or new levys). That's why I hoped for more. And while the Zoo may say that it would have had to cut back drastically, I'm not sure that I fully believe it - the Zoo has several money-making ventures that many other zoos lack (Zoombezi Bay, golf courses) on top of its usual schemes. With the uptick in the economy and the continued success of the water park, not to mention the boost to attendance from Heart of Africa, I don't find it wholly believable that the financial situation of the Zoo was such that the failure to renew this levy would have mandated such cuts. In the past, the zoo's levy campaigns were always sweetened with the promise of future development, while this time, given the failure of the permanent levy, the zoo threatened cuts with little promise of new development. I don't mean to suggest the zoo should not continue to monitor its bottom line, but as one of the people who voted for the levy (and financially supports the zoo in many other ways), I selfishly wish that they would tease us with the hint of some of what's to come.

14. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

As you can see on p. 27 of this 2013 Annual Report, the levy is a BIG part of the annual budget while gate receipts and the like make up only a small part of the zoo's income. The organization does show a surplus but not a large one. And they must hold on to such a modest surplus, no doubt, to hedge against a down year.
    New exhibits (of any size) are not funded by water park receipts or increases in zoo attendance. They are funded by big donors, state and county government contributions, etc.

https://www.columbuszoo.org/docs/de...0a98ba32bd2f67d7bdc2ff0000bf4b43.pdf?sfvrsn=0

15. jibster

Thanks for this, zooplantman; it was too early in the morning for me to look up the figures:). I don't doubt that the levy does make up a large part of the operating budget, I just doubt that a failure to renew the levy would really be so dire - as some of the institutional funding which does go toward new exhibit development could help fill any hole caused by the levy (the zoo is such a beloved institution here and has such institutional support that I don't doubt money would still be forthcoming). Furthermore, it seems to me (and I may just not be aware of it, so please, someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the zoo has in the past released examples of planned future development/master plan details to help sweeten the deal for taxplayers in connection with a levy, whereas here, used scare tactics (even if there is some truth therein). I'm wondering if it was the failure of the past levy, no matter the reason, that led to a more cautious approach by the zoo, and if so, it's fully understandable.

But, with the levy renewal passed, now where will the large gifts go? This is what I wish the zoo would announce.... Not that I'm not sure they will put the levy funds to good use or that the renovations mentioned are needed - I just need some future plans to look forward to! :D

16. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

The levy is as much for general operating funds as anything.
    Perhaps the zoo decided that, after last year's failure, they didn't want to present themselves as too ambitious or asking taxpayers to buy them fancy new things? I expect a great deal of strategizing went into the campaign

17. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

https://www.facebook.com/columbuszoo/videos/10153269805532106/?fref=nf

POLAR BEAR CUB: Two polar bear cubs were born Friday night, Nov. 6 to mother Aurora! Sadly, despite Aurora's care, one cub passed away. The survival rate for a polar bear cub in the first few weeks is about 50 percent. Currently, the surviving cub is doing well and Aurora is being an attentive mother! Mother and cub are in a private denning area away from public view where they will emerge from in the spring. Zoo staff are cautiously optimistic and will continue to monitor the two around-the-clock. Stay tuned to our Facebook page for updates!

19. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo has pulled the remaining female cub to be hand raised. I'm curious if this was a genuine endeavor or an insurance policy now that 1 cub remains. I'm sure it's for the better but still unfortunate.

20. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think its much safer, and well worth it.