Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Columbus Zoo News - 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by SamMetz, 13 Jan 2015.

1. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hmm, well that would give Nanuq and Aurora another breeding season then. However I'm curious how they would share the exhibit. I assume the cub would be on her own, but it's such a big space for a cub alone.

2. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does Columbus have a nursery or maternity yard? In Toronto our hand reared cubs Hudson and Humphrey had a much smaller yard with a shallow pool where they could play and learn until they were big enough for the main yards. Worked well because that enabled the adults to stay on exhibit easily.

3. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To the right of the entrance, the very first animal attraction closest to it in fact, there is an indoor, nursery like exhibit that guests can view into. I believe on my last two visits they featured fennec fox kits (same foxes). From the way I see it, and someone correct me I'm wrong but it is typically used as a "Temporary Featured Animal Station" rather than a nursery.

4. TZFan

5. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

That small windowed exhibit in the front of the former (and maybe still current) education building has changed over the years - at one point, it housed golden lion tamarins, and it has housed reptile species (in the past). In recent years, when occupied, it has housed some ambassador species, but for the past two seasons, it's always been set up as a temporary nursery. I've seen the last small litter of Amur tiger cubs in there (when all but one cub were ultimately lost), red river piglets, the jackal pups, and more, and it's been recently set-up as a a very bare nursery place, with no permanent "furniture." It would be extremely small for a bear cub.

The most likely solution I could see is to use the exhibit occupied until recently by the zoo's last grizzly bear and formerly to the Alaskan brown bear brothers or the exhibit next to it, currently home to the river otters, formerly home to a black bear. These North American exhibits are slated for an upgrade soon (I would assume, given the zoo's plans to upgrade North America in the near future), but they are perfectly suitable for bears, if on the small size, and are located very near to the Polar Frontier.

6. TZFan

7. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

From the Zoo's Facebook - White-handed gibbons Rachel and Shawnee and siamangs Rasheed and Olga need an improvement to their habitat that will ensure their favorite pastime – “brachiating”, or swinging – can continue healthily and happily.

10. TZFan

11. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. TZFan