Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Columbus Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 28 Dec 2016.

1. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Video update on the polar bear cubs:

2. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dinosaurs will return this summer evicting the pirates from the zoo.

3. Kudu21

I think that nearly everyone can agree that the Islands region of the Columbus Zoo is its most lackluster, with nothing within it being quite what it could have been, not in the slightest, the poorly executed boat ride. While I definitely believe that the dinosaurs detract even further from this region of the zoo (although that does not mean that I despise these dinosaur displays, as so many people do. I definitely see their value and am usually indifferent to them, as long as they do not disrupt animal areas, which this display does), I absolutely welcome their return in place of that god-awful animatronic pirate display; it was truly a hot mess. I sincerely hope that, eventually, the zoo will be able to revisit and revise this region of the zoo, improving both its animal and visitor spaces, making these ploys to get people to actually ride the boat ride no longer necessary.

4. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

One of the zoo's black rhinos passed away

5. Kudu21

28-year-old female "Kulinda", to be specific. She was humanely euthanized this morning after a continued decline in health after being diagnosed with iron storage disease a little over a year ago.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2017
  6. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Does the zoo have another rhino? Also based on my visit last week I'm pretty sure the sun bears are gone. Can you confirm this?

7. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From what I know the sun bears are rotating with a sloth bear. Then again, they are a phase out species so I'm not 100% sure.

8. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

Rosie, the other female rhino should still be there. I haven't seen the sunbears in a very long time but yes they've said they are on a rotation with the slothbear.

9. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

Hope wolverine is one of the species!!!!

10. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just now saw this thread and did not know Colo died. How sad. I grew up in Columbus during the 50's and felt like she was one of my playmates. I begged mom & dad to take me to go see her all the time. I remember seeing her in the nursery they built just for her, and what a huge deal her birth was. I also had the pleasure of her father, Baron, throwing poo at me in the old ape house (thank goodness for the glass they put up). Colo blazed the way for all the gorillas we now see in zoos. I for one shall truely miss her.

Just curious, did they bury her at the zoo? Or what did they do with her body?

11. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

She was cremated and buried at an undisclosed site on zoo property.

12. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just visited the Columbus zoo today, I think it is overall a great zoo (though I didn't get to see the islands) but my only complaint is the small enclosure for the arctic foxes. I was disappointing by the fact many animals weren't outside, but it's winter. One of the nicest zoos I've been to, though

13. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is my favorite zoo I have been to so far, but you honestly have to go spring/summer to see it all. I've gone a couple times in winter or early spring and been disappointed with sections of the zoo being closed off. As you mentioned the Islands, and the new African section only being open during the summer. But because you didn't mention that area being closed off, maybe that has changed.

14. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After visiting as a photographer for a few years now, it's not worth visiting to me unless Heart of Africa is open, the lorikeets are out, and if the birds in the Congo Forest are out. I still do visit though at this time of year for the tigers, bears, and the migratory bird aviary. Overall, it isn't ideal to visit at this time of the year but it's still the second best zoo I've been to.

natel12 likes this.
  15. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On my last visit last month, the entire Africa section was actually open but not a single animal was out. Which was quite infuriating becayse the temperature was unusually warm that dayand my local zoo displays these types of animals in even lower temperatures. The zoo however, does cut off access to the otters and the orangutans.

16. PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum Well-Known Member

The zoo set a new single-day attendance record yesterday with their traditional Presidents Day free admission... Nearly 64,000 guests came through the gates. The previous single-day record stood at 37,000.

Warm weather, free admission help Columbus Zoo shatter attendance record

17. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

The lions are often out on exhibit in warmer weather; the main savanna exhibit, though, is closed even if access is available to view it. The Zoo uses the winter months to allow the grass ad other vegetation a chance to reestablish itself after the summer months.

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. Kudu21

Two Luzon bleeding-hearts hatched on Christmas Eve and are now on exhibit in the Roadhouse aviary.

Videos of the polar bear cubs' first time exploring outside:

m30t and jayjds2 like this.
  20. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

Two dama gazelles were born in February. The female was born on Feb. 4 to mother Layla, and the male was born on Feb. 6 to mother Gwen. Both calves’ father is Zultan.