Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Columbus Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 28 Dec 2016.

1. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link! I was just going to ask if anyone had any idea where the sea lions were going to go. Sounds like they are still kind of following the plan outlined in 2014:

"Conservation Cove will feature sea lions and harbor seals, an amphitheater, a restaurant and the essence of a rocky Pacific coastline near the zoo’s front door. Up-close and personal experiences with a variety of other animals - Jack Hanna style! - will complement the sea lion adventure. Wild World will include high energy activities for visitors that parallel common actions of the animal species exhibited nearby."

In addition, Zoombezi Bay has also been sending out Future Attraction surveys. It's a good time to be in Columbus!

3. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

What's unclear is whether or not the upcoming sea lion exhibit will be as extensive as the one proposed in 2014. The 2014 plan showed two portions of the exhibit, part located where Jungle Jack's Landing currently lies, part in the main portion of the zoo next to the lake. The articles I've seen about the location of the new sea lion exhibit mention only that the new area will be taking over part of Jungle Jack's landing. I guess we'll have to wait and see... I have high hopes for this new development; I hope Columbus builds an exhibit comparable to Saint Louis (which will be a great addition to the zoo's collection and another world-class exhibit to build on recent successes).

4. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Doug the mandrill has died :(

5. natel12

I am very glad Columbus is getting a pinniped, and with the way Columbus designs their exhibits, it will be a fantastic exhibit, so I will have to make another visit when it opens

6. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

Doug, the adult male Mandrill, was euthanized at the age of 22.5 years old due to his declining health.

7. grandelover1

grandelover1 Well-Known Member

The zoo have received a kiwi chick from the Smithsonian National Zoo and a pair of Koalas from the San Diego Zoo.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I assume that means a conitnuation with kiwi at Columbus!

9. grandelover1

I hope so!!!

10. jibster

I don't know that there was ever a thought as to ending the kiwi program - I was the first one to post that the kiwis have been removed from exhibit and are no longer accessible to visitors. As I stated, the former kiwi exhibit has had all of the vegetation and nesting areas removed (leaving it much as it was when it was home to prevost's squirrels, mouse deer, ground cuscus, and other species no longer on exhibit) and all signage for the species within the roadhouse was removed. For these reasons, it looked as though the decision to remove the kiwis from exhibit was not just for the short term. I'll try to talk to a knowledgeable keeper next time I visit.

11. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was at this zoo last summer and its a top zoo of course...but PLEASE tell me that awful pirate ride that snaked around various exhibits has gone.It might win my award for the most annoying,invasive, crass piece of nonsense EVER installed in major zoo(Busch Gardens excepted..which has a rather different raison d`etre).

12. grandelover1

Unfortunately I think it is still there judging by the map. It's changed throughout the years and is a waste of space.

13. natel12

It is gone, but now it is a dinosaur area

14. grandelover1

Oh no:( :( they could do so much with that area it's a shame they waste it. I feel animatronic dinosaurs belong in museums..

natel12 likes this.
  15. natel12

They have enough money to make that area a South American exhibit

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. jibster

The area occupied by the dinosaur/pirate ride is the Islands, home to species including orangutan, gibbon, siamang, Komodo dragon, painted stork, asian small-clawed otter, black swan, and (occassionally) other bird species. I do not think there is any chance it would be made into a South American section (the once-promised and seemingly long-abandoned South American area was to occupy an entirely different plot of land). As noted above, after two years hosting the pirate-themed ride, the area has returned to hosting dinosaurs, though for many years after the Islands area opened, the boat ride lacked animatronics of any kind. The ride was chronically unpopular (probably as it provided no better view of the animals than the walking path and had little to no interest for anyone without children); the addition of the animatronic dinosaurs and pirates seems to have had some increase in popularity of the ride. While not a fan of the animatronic dinosaurs, at least their addition did not affect any of the animal exhibits. The animatronic pirates, while also not affecting the exhibits, were more problematic for many reasons, including (but not limited to) a frustratingly unclear story (that at least tried to be conservation-minded), embarassing animatronics, and zoogeographic impossibilities. I'm far better with the dinosaurs (though, to my mind, the entire boat ride is a bit of an embarassment).

17. SamMetz

A female Pallas’ cat kitten was born on May 23 to first time mom and dad, Manda and Paval through AI. The birth marked the second live offspring ever produced with artificial insemination in Pallas’ cats

A male Asian Small-Clawed Otter pup named Triton, was born on May 17 to first-time parents Asta and Oscar. Triton is the first of its species to be born at the zoo in 14 years.

18. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

• The juvenile male lions have been separated from the rest of the pride and located on one side of the former lion exhibit/surplus Amur tiger exhibit (tigers on other side). As of now, the walkway is blocked off from public view until they are comfortable in the new area.
    • Another baby wildebeest was born last Thursday.
    • Not sure how long it will last, but the 5 PM Animal Show in Jungle Jack's Landing is selecting a volunteer to come up and take a selfie with their sloth when he's on stage. The keeper feeds him and you're able to take a few photos.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2017
  19. SamMetz

Mara, the Amur tiger, gave birth to 4 cubs on July 12 (My birthday! ;) ) Unfortunately one was still born

Last edited: 19 Jul 2017
  20. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Has anyone seen the zoo's female African leopard recently? If not, I believe she has passed away.