Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Columbus Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 28 Dec 2016.

1. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Possibly she has. I haven't seen her on exhibit since the Zoo got its new cubs...but I have no firm recollection of the last date I saw her (I go to the Zoo far too often to keep the dates clear - if I didn't post stuff here, I'd have no way of keeping the visits apart at all, and I never commented on the last time I see her). I'll try to ask a keeper next time I'm there.

2. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I went by the exhibit 2 out of the 4 days I was there and each time it was the cubs. I also went once during evening and the other in morning.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Article about the Pallas cat birth:

Columbus Zoo Works to Preserve Pallas’s Cat

4. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

The sora rails in the native bird aviary are nesting in reeds under the boardwalk. The staff is waiting and watching for when the little chicks start running around, as at this point it is impossible (or very very difficult) to see the actual nest in the reeds.

grandelover1 likes this.
  5. grandelover1

grandelover1 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have the full list of animals born this year?

6. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

Had a visit today, heres some things I noticed. The Orang exhibit has a sign saying the exhibit is temporarily closed. It did not say wether it was for renovations or because the dino ride is bothering the animals. The leopard cubs were out all day so I'm gonna say its safe but sad to say Sita has probably passed. The male lion cubs are the ones in the old lion exhibit and the other side holds Irisa, the female tiger, and her cubs from last year. I saw a tiny bonobo baby out with mom in the outdoor exhibit today. I don't remember hearing about a new birth but maybe I just don't remember the news. All four female elephants are now out together, Hank was not with them so I do not know if he has met the new girls yet. Beco was still in the extra paddock by himself. This is the third year I've seen him pace around the exhibit, does anyone know if there are any plans for him to be sent out soon? With him being separated because of Hank I do not see the point of keeping him there isolated.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2017
    grandelover1 likes this.
  7. grandelover1

Does anyone know if the Amur Leopards are still on show and are they getting a new exhibit because the exhibit they were in was sad.

8. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does the zoo have two adult female Amur tigers? I know one just had cubs, but I am assuming that's another one then if you saw Irisa. I saw the bonobo baby too a couple weeks ago. Also, when I was at the zoo Hank and Beco alternated days in the small paddock near Rosie, the black rhino. I saw Hank pacing as well.

9. SamMetz

Yes they have 2 female tigers, Mara and Irisa. Mara was the one who had a litter recently. I hope renovations are being planned for those paddocks, to me they look like the elephant versions of grottos

10. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium

The Animal Encounters Villaage will move in late August. They will return in Adventure Cove, next to the sea lion exhibit, in 2019.

11. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

The Amur leopards left the collection last year. I believe they were only being held temporarily, when the Zoo used the upstairs indoor portion of the sun bear (now sun bear/sloth bear) exhibit.

grandelover1 and StoppableSan like this.
  12. grandelover1

I am visiting the zoo soon and I’m taking requests on what to take pics of and look out for. So anything you’d like me to take pics of or look out for just leave below!

13. drill

drill Well-Known Member

I will be hopefully also visiting in about two weeks.

14. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Look for the two africa exhibits, and please get a large savanna exhibit :)

grandelover1 likes this.
  15. grandelover1

What two African exhibits? Congo and Heart of Africa?

16. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Correct

17. grandelover1

Ok I’ll take as many good pics as possible :)

natel12 likes this.
  18. grandelover1

So a couple things from my visit yesterday-

- I’m not sure if this has been mentioned on here before, but all of the male cubs from the lion litter from 2 years ago are living in the former African Lion exhibit in Asia Quest.
    - I saw 2 Sun Bears, I was under the impression the species left
    - the kiwi they said they had must be off show because there was no signage for a kiwi
    -The elephants are split into 3 groups. Beco is in the yard next to the black rhino, phoebe and the sisters were in a yard adjacent to hank and connie.
    -everyone was saying the Pallas’ Cat was nursing it’s baby as I was at their exhibit but my bad vision didn’t allow me to see
    -one Amur Tiger was in their normal exhibit and the others were in the exhibit connected to the male lion cubs
    -Malaysian Giant Turtles are now signed with the Siberian Musk Deer exhibit
    -Ken the brown Pelican was no where to be seen
    -I don’t know if this new, but Lady Ross’ Turaco are now in the exhibit with the African Grey parrots, they were not there on my last visit.

I will be adding to my species list forum, and will be making a review of the zoo. Pictures will be up tomorrow.

Also does the zoo hold both western and Alaskan moose?

19. SamMetz

Regarding the sun bears, I'm assuming it was more of a "once they're gone" thing since they are both elderly bears and they've brought in the Sloth bear to share the exhibit that it evolved into "they are gone". The lone tiger is the male, Jupiter, because Mara has her new litter, therefore still off exhibit and Irisa is in the surplus enclosure with her cubs from last year. I saw Ken when I was there two weeks ago. The Lady Turacos have always been with the parrots to my knowledge. And yes, the cow moose is western and Ojibwe the young bull is an orphan from Alaska.

grandelover1 likes this.
  20. grandelover1

Thank you for all of the answers!! Ken may have just been off exhibit during my visit :)