Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Columbus Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Echobeast, 12 Jan 2018.

1. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am so glad America is acquiring sloth bears from Europe to help grow the population here. Hopefully some cubs will come out of it!

2. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Does anyone know if any of the 2016 SSP recommended transfers for bonobos have taken place?

3. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The young Sloth bear girl ist called HEIDEROSE, 6 years old, daughter of KLAUS (* at Leipzig Zoo in 1997) and LUDMILLA (WILD born in India in 1991), born and raised at Leipzig Zoo Germany...

The keepers are already preparing the shipping to the USA.

4. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

HEIDEROSE left Leipzig last week.

TigerValley98 likes this.
  6. TigerValley98

Toledo’s Bornean orangutan Khali is now at Columbus.

7. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is Phoebe still reproductive? The Asian Elephant. Also are Rudy and Sundara cleared for Breeding?

8. TigerValley98

9. TigerValley98

Adventure Cove concept drawings from FYE Coasters Facebook page:

FYE Coasters

10. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

After some health problems prohibited me from visiting much of the latter half of last year, I finally made it back to the zoo last week when all the seasonal exhibits were open. It was a great visit, and I thought I'd post a few observations (some of the species I note as new may have been added last year, but they're new to me).

In Africa, only 6 of the lions were on exhibit. The old lion exhibit, usually for overflow Amur tigers nowadays, was signed for lions, but that exhibit and its neighbor were closed while the wooden ramps around were closed. 11 of the 15 giraffes (including all 5 Masai) were out on exhibit - the most I've yet seen. Spoke briefly to a keeper, who told me that the Masai have been cleared for breeding, but no success yet. Not sure if the Thompson's or slender-horned gazelles have had breeding success. Neither the majority of the bird species or the zebra can breed, as only single-sex groups are held. [I would imagine, though I was unable to ask, that only female zebras are kept in an attempt to keep down interspecies conflicts - the keeper confirmed that the zebras are the only species to ever trouble any of the others). Still have yet to see an aardvark in the watering hole (I saw warthogs and ostriches). Not sure if the lesser flamingo are still rotated in; I have not seen them since shortly after the Heart of Africa opened.

Nothing really new in North America aside from the migratory bird aviary. I spent a good amount of time there, chatting with a friendly, knowledgeable docent and watching the bobwhite, of which 7 chicks had been born just the week prior. New species on exhibit include a few zoo rarities: a pair of white-face ibis and an American golden plover. There could soon be sora chicks on exhibit soon, as a number of eggs were pulled from the exhibit recently. A lot of nesting behavior seen in various species.

In Asia Quest, I finally managed to see the elusive Siberian musk deer, which has never seemed to be on exhibit when I visit. A lone sloth bear was on exhibit and had the run of both the indoor and outdoor exhibit. Still no breeding success for the Pallas' cats. It looks like the short-term experiment of adding European Eagle Owl with the markhor may be over; the owls are no longer signed (I never did see an owl in the exhibit, so I'm not sure what happened - it's a question I hope to ask when I see a keeper around in the area in the future). The pheasant aviary is looking a bit empty - I gather it was a very rough winter for the galliformes on exhibit, as the zoo lost its golden pheasant, chukhar partridge, and crested wood partridge (from this exhibit - there is still a male on exhibit in with the fruit bats, and I believe the pair is still in the Rainforest aviary), leaving only a sole bamboo partridge in this pheasant-less aviary. The Derbyan parakeets were also pulled from the aviary, as they had been quite destructive - for a time, they were kept with the lorikeets (and may still be - I can't be sure as the lorikeet aviary was closed). As for the elephants, all six elephants were on exhibit together - I spoke to a docent, and he confirmed that the zoo has been working to integrate all the elephants into one group for some time, and just in the past week, all six have been put on exhibit together (that's Hank and his son Beco, and the four females). The docent confirmed that the females are clear for breeding, so they're hoping for some success soon.

In Congo expedition, not much new, save again for the aviary - it appears the African golden oriole has left the collection (to my knowledge, the only one on exhibit in an American zoo) as it was no longer signed and not visible, and the black crowned cranes have two adorably ungainly chicks with the parents.

In the Australia/Islands section, a few small changes. The brown kiwi are back on exhibit (in the same exhibit where they had been, but the removal of most of the plants make it far easier to see them); at least one new unsigned passerine species in the Rainforest Aviary (hopefully I can identify it soon); orangutans off exhibit (the zoo now holds only the Bornean species; signs mention the new female from Toledo - maybe breeding is hoped for). The rather unexciting dinosaurs are back (far better than the execrable pirate from a few years back) along the shores of the boat ride. A young white-handed gibbon and small-clawed otter pups were out with their parents, leading to some very active exhibits. The sulphur-crested cockatoos have moved from their island in the swan exhibit to the Kangaroo walkabout, and a new species has joined the swans and painted storks (of which it seems a few more individuals have been added) - Dalmatian pelicans, a new species for the zoo.

A few new species added to the reptile house, but I can't find the notes I made.

I think that's about it. If anyone has any questions, I will probably try to go back early next week (though my luck with being able to talk with docents or keepers is much worse in the busier summer season).

11. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's a journey, it's a quest, it's a search to find some of Asia's best. From the north, to the south, to the forests to the mountains - we'll encounter wildlife that faces the threat of extinction. There is no other attraction that I've come across that encourages you to make a difference and want to help put a stop to poaching and the demand for illegal animal trade. The Asia Quest is relatively new, opening in 2006 in two different phases. There aren't a whole lot of species through here but the collection is still quite diverse. Some animals we'll embark on can only be found in very few parks around the world. More importantly, some animals that are rarely even seen in their own native range. There's Markhors, long-toothed deer, and tropical bears and other creatures I'm sure some of you haven't heard of or seen with your own eyes. Giants bats in front of your nose, the world's longest snake, the world's largest cat, and Hank, the largest Asian elephant in North America - they're always active and ready for view.

12. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Who are the Masai Giraffes at the Zoo? And where are they from?

13. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zahra is now at Columbus Zoo. It was posted on the zoo's Instagram.

Milwaukee Man and StoppableSan like this.
  14. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Did the zoo phase out sun bears? When I went last week, the signage inside and out were only for the sloth bear (who had access to both areas).

15. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

17. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to Facebook orphaned gorilla, Zahra, has been introduced to potential surrogate, Toni, and all is going well.

18. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

19. TigerValley98

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

While not directly related to the zoo, a massive new 350 acre theme park is under construction in the Columbus area. It will include one animal feature: a butterfly house. I am wondering how the influx of tourists will affect the zoo. Will the zoo get more visitors as a result of more tourists visiting the area? Or will the zoo get less visitors because locals will opt to go to the theme park instead of the zoo?
    A New $2-billion Amusement Park Four Times the Size of Disneyland Is Coming to Ohio

StoppableSan likes this.