Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium Columbus Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by birdsandbats, 15 Jan 2020.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

An article and some new concept art for the two news exhibits coming this year (Adventure Cove and Jack Hanna's Animal Encounters Village):

Adventure Cove Openng at Columbus Zoo in Spring 2020 - Columbus Underground

Adventure Cove will feature Harbor Seals and California Sea Lions.

The Animal Encounters Village will feature macaws, coatis, sloths, a stingray touch tank, and more.

Jambo, TigerValley98, kiang and 3 others like this.
  2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Two Cheetah cubs were born 19/02/2020 as a result of a ground breaking embryo transfer procedure in collaboration with scientists at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute (SCBI):

For the embryo-transfer procedure, scientists collected semen from a male cheetah living at Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Texas in February 2019 and froze it. They then harvested eggs from Kibibi at the Columbus Zoo Nov. 19, 2019, and performed in vitro fertilization, fertilizing them in a laboratory with the sperm collected in Texas earlier that year. The fertilized embryos were then transferred to Izzy’s oviduct Nov. 21, 2019. It was only the third time scientists had ever attempted the procedure. Kibibi had never given birth to a cub and is genetically valuable, but she is unlikely to ever reproduce on her own. Her valuable genes were at risk of never being passed on. Izzy, the surrogate, is less genetically valuable and is not currently recommended to breed, but she was hand-raised as a cub and very comfortable with keepers, which made her a good candidate as a surrogate cheetah mom.

Read the rest of the article here: First Cheetah Cubs Born as Result of Embryo Transfer

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Possibly, a break-through and preserves valuable unrepresented genes within the SSP!

7. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Asia Quest is now home to two female Lesser Malayan Chevrotains - I believe they're in the flying fox exhibit based on photos.

StoppableSan and birdsandbats like this.
  8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How many other US zoo keep that species?

9. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Are you sure they are Lesser and not Greater? I was not aware that the former existed in North America, while the latter has a breeding program and can be found in at least a few zoos.

StoppableSan and nczoofan like this.
  10. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm sorry, you are correct - Greater*

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  11. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the clarification.

Greater Chevrotain is held by a few zoos, but it doesn't seem to be very common. I remember them being at Smithsonian but have since departed; Los Angeles also held the species when I visited last year. Boise, Bronx, Topeka, Cleveland, and Palm Beach come up on Internet search.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Milwaukee also has them.

14. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. ZooNerd1234

ZooNerd1234 Well-Known Member

When I was their last winter I saw Beco and Rudy mate though I don’t know if it was successful but i’m hoping for a baby Rudy has great mom potential

Elephantelephant likes this.
  16. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

This is not what I was expecting. They have the perfect set-up to breed Phoebe, Rudy, and Sunny to Hank and then when Sunny and Rudy's daughters are ready to be bred, they can be bred to Beco. Both Beco and Hank have genes that are well-represented in the US--Beco from the European Motek line and Hank from Ringling--but Hank is older. By the time Rudy and Sunny's daughters are still breeding in their 20s and 30s, Hank won't be around. It would seem to make more sense to utilize Hank first, and then Beco for the next generation.

17. ZooNerd1234

18. ZooNerd1234

I don’t know for sure but all the keepers where watching and Beco was getting up there and I would think he would to breed the next generation because males mature slower then females but Rudy is quite older then him but I saw him up there a few times but yes it is weird that they might have been trying to breed Beco and Rudy?

19. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

Yes, if it weren't intentional, they wouldn't have been given access to one another. Breeding recommendations come from the AZA's Species Survival Plan, so this must be the plan. I'm just not sure I understand the logic, as it would underutilize Hank. There aren't a lot of bulls who aren't genetically over-represented, so I'm surprised they're not trying to get the full benefit of having studs for two whole generations lined up. I think I may have heard somewhere that the sisters would not breed with Hank, but that still wouldn't preclude his contribution via AI. Perhaps his weight has affected his fertility?

20. ZooNerd1234

also last summer I did see sunny Beco and Rudy in the yard and the others in the other exhibit. I think they are trying to plan a herd for the future but I would Think everyone except Connie would be part of the future plan but it is weird but any news of more Asian elephants to support the population is exciting with what happened to the last calf born their