Join our zoo community

Columbus Zoo North America Redevelopment

Discussion in 'United States' started by ZooFan1, 24 Apr 2023.

1. ZooFan1

ZooFan1 Member

I heard that the Columbus Zoo will have it's North American region redeveloped, I know they plan on having new exhibits for the Mexican Grey Wolves, Black Bears, North American River Otters, Bald Eagles, Canadian Lynxes, and Trumpeter Swans, but I’m kind of worried they’ll phase out some of their other animals like Moose, Elk, Beavers, Mountain Lions, Bison, Pronghorn, Reindeer, Wolverines, Prairie Dogs, and their aviary, will the Columbus Zoo still include most of their North American species for the redevelopment?

Blackleopard207 likes this.
  2. Blackleopard207

Blackleopard207 Well-Known Member

I think I saw on the Columbus Zoo News 2023 thread that moose, reindeer, wolverines, and mountain lions will all stay. However, bison, pronghorn, and beavers are already gone sadly.

3. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A real shame to hear they'll be dropping pronghorn, but glad wolverines and moose are sticking around. I have to admit this has delayed my desire to visit Columbus as North America was one (far from the only) of the intended highlights for me.

StoppableSan and Blackleopard207 like this.
  4. Blackleopard207

Blackleopard207 Well-Known Member

Yes, from pictures I’ve seen the bison/pronghorn exhibit was nice looking. But I agree, I’m glad that moose and wolverines will remain! Those are two species that aren’t as common in North American themed exhibits!

ZooFan1, StoppableSan and JVM like this.